Geocaching apps

A lackey hinted in one of the phone forums that something's coming up this month (with the intro app).

HQ has been hinting that the intro app's replacing the paid version "soon" for some time now.

The paid app hasn't been seeing the updates afforded the free (intro) app.

If me, I'd question whether I'd really wanna cough up ten bucks for an outdated, soon-to-be canned paid version. :)

I have heard the same word on the street, so don't buy

I have an iPhone and use this app

https://www.looking4cache.com/

It is brilliant. Cost,gb£8. Say $10-11.

Used Geosphere which a lot of people in USA swear by. That hasn't had an update for a while although the developer says he is getting back to it

L4c, this is the mnemonic is as good and flexible although a bit quirky to learn. Produced in Germany the translations are a bit odd in places

The killer feature for me is the ability to download offline maps

I use OSM cycle maps

Brilliant for GCing. Just been all over Sri Lanka. Downloaded all of the island 1,gb and every thing was there even used it to guide our driver who tried to use Google maps. And it had loads of paths on it as well.

I have all of UK permanently on the phone

YOU CAN LOG DIRECTLY FROM THE APP

I think the official apps are and still will be a disappoint ment

There is a LITE version but with limited functionality

Go for it

Mike

Before we get too much into specifics of app choices, the OP should tell us what kind of phone they use. iPhone? Android? Something else?

Me and my wife both have the iPhone 6. I actually just read a comment on geocaching's Facebook page, they said "we plan to retire the paid app this spring". So I definitely got my answer.

The main reason we were looking into the "real" app is that we hoped the gps would be better. We only have a Tom Tom gps for road trips. Now we decided to get a handheld gps for caching in uses with the app. The only question is which one and reading on here about all the different options, my mind is even more confused. It seen to me that it's real what a person preference are. I'm hoping to pick up a used one in good condition.

The main reason we were looking into the "real" app is that we hoped the gps would be better.

The GPS is in your phone, not in the app so performance between apps should be the same.

The most important thing when choosing an app is it's functionality.

The main reason we were looking into the "real" app is that we hoped the gps would be better.

The GPS is in your phone, not in the app so performance between apps should be the same.

The most important thing when choosing an app is it's functionality.

+1 The GPS in your phone won't improve with an app.

The new release might answer your original question.

- Guess it's officially "soon". :)