What was your favorite cache?

Team Shibby

Hi Team Shibby,

My favorite cache would bring me to a unique place... somewhere I had to work to get to... that offered something really special.

Specifically I think my favorite cache still is like the 4th cache I found. It was about 2 hours away from home... planned a get together with friends upstate and three families got together...5 kids and 3 adults...we had a rough but not too long uphill hike to get to the cache area...but when we got up there it was the perfect place for a unique kinda picnic on the dancefloor. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cachelog_details.asp?ID=459&L=17891

Made for a memorable afternoon that we never would have had without geocaching. I'm in NY here... midhudson valley... but as local goes in geocaching...welcome to the neighborhood icon_smile.gif

Ttepee

Hi Team Shibby,

My favorite cache would bring me to a unique place... somewhere I had to work to get to... that offered something really special.

Specifically I think my favorite cache still is like the 4th cache I found. It was about 2 hours away from home... planned a get together with friends upstate and three families got together...5 kids and 3 adults...we had a rough but not too long uphill hike to get to the cache area...but when we got up there it was the perfect place for a unique kinda picnic on the dancefloor. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cachelog_details.asp?ID=459&L=17891

Made for a memorable afternoon that we never would have had without geocaching. I'm in NY here... midhudson valley... but as local goes in geocaching...welcome to the neighborhood icon_smile.gif

Ttepee

For challenge, I loved the Artful Dodger's Splitrock Splendor. For a great hike, though I've yet to find the actual cache, the Magster's Lake Lookout was nice. I also liked the Magster's Mystery 3, Since I went there so many times before I found it, I knew the area like an old friend and being a history buff, I enjoyed the surrounding ruins.

So far I'd have to vote for New York/New Jersey Multi-State Multi-Cache placed by Waterboy with Wife (WWW). Very challenging hike providing terrific scenery and views. Lookout Lake is a very pleasant hike with a pretty lake and a surprising challenge. I think New Jersey has some fine recreation areas. Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

What makes a good cache? Or in this case, the best cache we have found? Since people look at it differently, we will get many different answers. I will list my reasons for the picking the best before I list my bests.

To start off with we are hikers first, and geocachers second. We will take good hikes, even in areas where there are no caches to be found, or only caches that we have already found. Now for the criteria to judge a good cache.

1. It must be a physically demanding hike. Absolute minimum is one hour getting in, one hour getting out on a trail with elevation changes. In general, the harder, the better. This does not include time in area looking under rocks or in tree stumps for the actual cache. (Roads are not trails.)

2. A beautiful and/or interesting final location.

3. Environmental interest. First this means quantity of animal life to view and lack of quantity of human life to view. Plant life, water, and geology are included.

4. Ability to make the in/out process a loop hike. I like to return on a different trail than the one I came in on.

5. I would prefer the cache to be in a place that I have never been to a place that I have been.

Now our choice for best cache - L.bug by cache_ninja. This rates well in every aspect, except that we had been there before. It has the added attraction of another high rated ninja cache that can easily be hit on the same loop hike.

This summer we plan to spend some time in the north woods locating even better caches. We are optimistic.

[This message was edited by Waterboy on March 31, 2002 at 08:20 AM.]

My favorite cache is still the fourth one we found. It's called "Jammer" and it was placed by Lucien in Maine.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=6255

It was this cache that got me so excited about geocaching. It was over 700 miles from home and in a place we had never been to before. The cache itself was in a pretty neat place. Then it said, "if you continue on up past the cache, you'll find an interesting natural area". So we checked it out. It was quite an adventure getting my daughters up there. They still talk about it. One of them fell and bumped her head and another lost her shoe in the brook. Once we got up there it was one of the most beautiful spots I had ever seen. Cachers only concerned with increasing their found count would have never gone beyond finding it and would have missed the whole point of this cache. Thanks again Lucien! This cache is what geocaching is all about!

[This message was edited by Sea_Dog on April 02, 2002 at 05:03 PM.]

[This message was edited by Sea_Dog on April 03, 2002 at 03:54 AM.]