Turning off the "discovery" option

Zekester & Simon

Is there an option to make one's trackable undiscoverable? While I can see that some trackables should be discoverable (my trackable tattoo for instance, or a sticker on a car), for many other tyrackables, this option and log entry serves hop real purpose and is an annoyance to the TB owner. Discoveries at major events can result in hundreds of email notifications. I think what most TB owners want os for their TBs to move from cache to cache. It should be the TB owner's option as to whether discovery is a an available log type to those who encounter their trackables, but I can't seem to find a way to turn this off. The only thing I have found is "local" which prevents ANY logs. Can't understand why anyone would want to do that, misses the point of putting the trackable out there.

If you could turn off Discover logs, what you would see are many more retrieve(or grab) and drop off logs in the same geocache.

+1 Yep.

Instead of one discover log, the TO would receive two.

- Now imagine those "Discoveries at major events" logs that have now doubled.

Guess this falls under careful what you wish for... :)

Not so sure I'd see more retrieve and drop logs at the same cache, as that is more work for the discoverers, but I must admit that had not occurred to me. I do think, that it ought to be the tb owners choice as to whether or not discovery is an option for their trackables. For most trackables, discovery serves no purpose, as it does not move the to towards its goal, nor does it really establish current status, as there is no geolocation associated with that form of log.

Not so sure I'd see more retrieve and drop logs at the same cache, as that is more work for the discoverers, but I must admit that had not occurred to me. I do think, that it ought to be the tb owners choice as to whether or not discovery is an option for their trackables. For most trackables, discovery serves no purpose, as it does not move the to towards its goal, nor does it really establish current status, as there is no geolocation associated with that form of log.

Sure you would, because that would be the only option available to someone who wants to get credit for your TB and add it to his list. Another few mouseclicks won't stop anyone.

Retrieves and drops in the same geocache was why Discover logs were created way back when.