pocket queries

Hi all.

I have a montana 650 gps unit and i loaded some pocket queries to it. all the caches showed up just fine on the unit. My question is can i remove a single cache as i find them or do i have to find all the caches in the query an remove the pocket query from my sd card. Its not a big deal but i was just concerned about saving space on sd card. Between the pocket queries and maps i loaded i used a bunch of space. I would hate not having any space left and a lot of new caches becomes available in my area.

any info or advice would be great

Thanks

jocko126

Kind of depends on how often you want to update the PQ on your Montana I'm guessing. I have a Colorado, and I typically run a PQ every week or so, and update on the PQ with fresh data, excluding the caches that I've found the previous week. I suppose you could delete the Listing data one at a time, but seems just as fast just to refresh the entire data set periodically.

Thanks for fast replies. I never even thought about running the pocket queries each week and refreshing to my gps. I will have to try that out. I haven't had my montana very long so i'm still learning the ropes. I used my samsung galaxy note 4 smart phone for geocaching before, so caching with a handheld gps unit is different but i'm learning more and more each day.

Thanks again for info

jocko126

Thanks for fast replies. I never even thought about running the pocket queries each week and refreshing to my gps. I will have to try that out. I haven't had my montana very long so i'm still learning the ropes. I used my samsung galaxy note 4 smart phone for geocaching before, so caching with a handheld gps unit is different but i'm learning more and more each day.

Thanks again for info

jocko126

ALWAYS worth keeping your PQs up to date.

No point looking for a cache on your old PQ, that has long since been Temporary Disabled or Archived because it's no longer there...

You can delete caches individually by using Basecamp. I agree with the others, though, that it would be a better practice to update the PQ weekly and replace the previous one. That method will catch new caches, disabled caches and remove the archived caches.

No point looking for a cache on your old PQ, that has long since been Temporary Disabled or Archived because it's no longer there...

Good advice, although even more annoying is discovering that you walked right past a brand new cache that wasn't there when you ran your old PQ.

There was a time when I'd be lazy and use PQs that were a month old, sometimes accidentally finding myself in a position to use a PQ several months old. After a few fails -- mostly of the kind Bear and Ragged point out, although, as often as not, the problem isn't an actual disable or archive, but just a series of DNFs that would warn me the cache wasn't there -- I promised myself not to be caught with old listings, so I streamlined my PQ procedure to eliminate any excuse not to run a PQ, and I make sure to get fresh PQs to cover anywhere I might end up looking for caches on any given day.

(I use a PN-60, which keeps each PQ separate, so things might be a little different with your 650, but I think the gist is the same.)