Strange TB Log

OneThunderBird

Today I got an email from Geocaching that a TB was logged by Rakváči. The log said "seen on the internet" I thought it strange and found that the user only has 12 cache finds and hundreds of TB's logged. My TB has been missing for 12 years so I am not sure how the TB was logged or where the user got the tracking number? Should missing TB's now be removed after 1 year?

Thanks

Sometimes numbers of trackables end up at pictures or list that spread all over social media.

Sometimes random numbers are typed by geocachers (or rather by programs that are developed to do this)

You can delete the log.

When you are bothered by many of those logs you can lock your TB.

Link

Ok. I thought the point of Geocaching was to FIND the cache or TB and then log it. I did lock all my missing TB's to stop this kind of thing. It is rather sad that after years of Geocaching some still just do not understand it.

Cheers ,

I believe some understand it fine.

Stats and challenges seem to have created a few folks who'll try to win (for what, who knows...) or qualify by any means possible. :)

Ok. I thought the point of Geocaching was to FIND the cache or TB and then log it. I did lock all my missing TB's to stop this kind of thing. It is rather sad that after years of Geocaching some still just do not understand it.

Cheers ,

So you lock your missing TBs, and if one should pop back up, no one can log it. Doesn't make sense to me.

If you get what appears to be a bogus log, why not ask the logger about it and delete the log if appropriate.

Isn't it more important to allow for the return?

I have two that are missing, and I have hope that some day a cacher will walk into someone's house, see my duck and say, "Hey, do you know what this is? Can I have it?"

I would only lock one that got on one of those lists posted on the internet and is getting bunches of bogus logs.

If I think it is still out there and has hope, then I wouldn't lock it.

If it has been a long time and it seems truly lost, I would rerelease something with the number, so I still wouldn't lock it.