Today I adopted 13 caches placed in 2002 & 2003!

Today I adopted 13 historic geocaches placed in Alberta, Canada in either 2002 or 2003 by Shadow Dog - with the original CO's permission. Although Shadow Dog was last active in 2005, I was able to find her contact information and send her an email. She was very excited to hear from me and was very eager to transfer ownership of her old geocaches to me!

The geocaches themselves are hidden in the backcountry of the Canadian Rockies. One of them in particular, GC5A79, is North America's (possibly the world's?) second lonliest geocache behind the famous "4.5lb Walleye" cache in Ontario, according to Project GC. While several are very lonely caches, many are not and have been enjoyed by backcountry travellers for the last 15 years.

I look forward to visiting all of the old Shadow Dog geocache sites this summer and maintaining them for hopefully the NEXT 15 years, at least! I'm very happy that I could do my part to help these pieces of Geocaching history avoid the archival bin!

PS - here's a link showing the 13 caches, if you're interested: http://i.imgur.com/xUHR2Ng.png

Today I adopted 13 historic geocaches placed in Alberta, Canada in either 2002 or 2003 by Shadow Dog - with the original CO's permission. Although Shadow Dog was last active in 2005, I was able to find her contact information and send her an email. She was very excited to hear from me and was very eager to transfer ownership of her old geocaches to me!

The geocaches themselves are hidden in the backcountry of the Canadian Rockies. One of them in particular, GC5A79, is North America's (possibly the world's?) second lonliest geocache behind the famous "4.5lb Walleye" cache in Ontario, according to Project GC. While several are very lonely caches, many are not and have been enjoyed by backcountry travellers for the last 15 years.

I look forward to visiting all of the old Shadow Dog geocache sites this summer and maintaining them for hopefully the NEXT 15 years, at least! I'm very happy that I could do my part to help these pieces of Geocaching history avoid the archival bin!

PS - here's a link showing the 13 caches, if you're interested: http://i.imgur.com/xUHR2Ng.png

Screen shot? not interested, too much work to look them up. Now a link to a publicly shared bookmark would have been cool.

I thank you immensely for doing that.

It looks like I've already found 5 of them - the relatively easy ones - but the others have long been on my radar. These are the truly remote, challenging cache icons in the farthest reaches of the Alberta geo-map. Back in 2002 people hid Real Caches™, and Shadow Dog & Co. exemplified that. Nothing so sissy you could drive right up to them. Aah, the innocent days before skirt-lifters and power trails were invented...

Sounds like you'll be busy this summer with those 13 hides. Do you have a lot of vacation time? :lol:

PS to jholly: No, you've gotta work for these. Even just a few clicks would've done it. Ohhh, here

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Screen shot? not interested, too much work to look them up. Now a link to a publicly shared bookmark would have been cool.

Wasn't very hard to click on his username, click on geocaches, geocaches owned and then repopulate by date placed. Took about 5 seconds. Looks like some nice caches. I was able to do the same thing in my area, contacted an inactive user (who then contacted a friend that had some old ones in the area) and adopted a couple, and got some more adopted by others, that I knew had a connection to certain old caches. They were even willing to adopt some virtuals to me, but Groundspeak doesn't allow it for some reason. Looks like you'll have fun hunting down your own caches.

Sorry, this made me laugh. I worked for literally 2 weeks to trace this person's life halfway across Canada, I contacted several people, I worked with the CO and GC HQ and somehow looking up the caches from the GC codes I provided is too much work. :rolleyes:

I thank you immensely for doing that.

It looks like I've already found 5 of them - the relatively easy ones - but the others have long been on my radar. These are the truly remote, challenging cache icons in the farthest reaches of the Alberta geo-map. Back in 2002 people hid Real Caches™, and Shadow Dog & Co. exemplified that. Nothing so sissy you could drive right up to them. Aah, the innocent days before skirt-lifters and power trails were invented...

Sounds like you'll be busy this summer with those 13 hides. Do you have a lot of vacation time? :lol:

PS to jholly: No, you've gotta work for these. Even just a few clicks would've done it. Ohhh, here

Awesome! Hope you can get to the other ones sometime soon! I'm finishing up my Master's in the next few months and I'll probably take the summer off. Should give me lots of time to explore some of these lesser-visited site! Can you say road trip! I'm really looking forward to it!

Wasn't very hard to click on his username, click on geocaches, geocaches owned and then repopulate by date placed. Took about 5 seconds. Looks like some nice caches. I was able to do the same thing in my area, contacted an inactive user (who then contacted a friend that had some old ones in the area) and adopted a couple, and got some more adopted by others, that I knew had a connection to certain old caches. They were even willing to adopt some virtuals to me, but Groundspeak doesn't allow it for some reason. Looks like you'll have fun hunting down your own caches.

Cool to hear that others have done something similar! It sure felt cool getting that first email from the original CO!

Today I adopted 13 historic geocaches placed in Alberta, Canada in either 2002 or 2003 by Shadow Dog - with the original CO's permission.

Nicely done! :)

Here you go. :tongue:

Thank you! I've already passed on the link to someone who wanted to plot them out on a map. I suppose I should have done that in the first place but I didn't think to.

Can you say road trip!

BTW, Grave Flats Road is washed out just east of Cardinal Divide, and it sounds like there are no plans to repair it. So you'd need to go the long way, through Cadomin. (I've mapped the washout on OSM, but I mention it in case you haven't noticed...)

Sounds like a really fun summer project. Go man go.