2016 souvenirs

Hi all.

I got 1 of the 2 leap day souvenirs last weekend. I found a cache but was not able to go to an event. I really like going after souvenirs and so does my faimily. Does any know or can someone point me in the right direction to a list of upcoming souvenirs for this year. I don't even know if a list is even avaliable yet. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Jocko126

Hi all.

I got 1 of the 2 leap day souvenirs last weekend. I found a cache but was not able to go to an event. I really like going after souvenirs and so does my faimily. Does any know or can someone point me in the right direction to a list of upcoming souvenirs for this year. I don't even know if a list is even avaliable yet. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Jocko126

Going by previous years:

CITO Days (April)

WWFM (World Wide Flash Mob) (June)

International Geocaching Day (August)

Earthcache Day (October)

And Groundspeak has had some sort of promotion during the month of August.

Subscribe to the weekly newsletter, or follow the blog, to receive news of upcoming souvenir promotions.

Groundspeak's blog:

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/

B.

All Mega events have a souvenir

Those are probably the only guaranteed souvenirs for the future.

It's been a little while since GS released any new country/region based souvenirs and when a batch has come out in the past it's usually preceded by some sort of announcement but hasn't been tied to a specific time of the year. If they do release more in 2016 and continue to follow the pattern they've used in the past we may see souvenirs for Romania, Hong Kong, Israel, Taiwan, China, Argentina, Puerto Rico, Isle of Man, Cyprus, and the UAE.

If they do release more in 2016 and continue to follow the pattern they've used in the past we may see souvenirs for Romania, Hong Kong, Israel, Taiwan, China, Argentina, Puerto Rico, Isle of Man, Cyprus, and the UAE.

If that holds true I'll get 6 more souvis. B):D

I just listed the next 10 that might get added, if they actually add 10 more this year. I'd get 2 more out of that list, but I've got two trips planned that could could me 3 more (plus another country which won't likely get a souvenir for a while) and one other trip that I hope to go on that would give me another.

States as well--not that there will be any new states added, but it is fun to see those pop up when you cache in a new state.

They could add a whole bunch of new state/province/1stLevelAdministrationUnits

Currently they only have them for Australia, Canada, Germany, Ireland and the US

Posted in today's newsletter:

The 14th Annual Cache In Trash Out® Week is almost here! CITO Events are a chance for geocachers to give back to their local spaces and communities, and may involve tree planting, litter pick up, or even habitat restoration.

From April 16 – 24, you can even earn a special souvenir by attending one.

B.

States as well--not that there will be any new states added, but it is fun to see those pop up when you cache in a new state.

Would be nice to have - yes. I just returned from Puerto Rico and was hoping to get the souvenir for all the caching we did there. I'm bummed. :-(

Would be nice to have - yes. I just returned from Puerto Rico and was hoping to get the souvenir for all the caching we did there. I'm bummed. :-(

Based on the number of caches in Puerto Rico and countries which do not yet have a souvenir, when/if Groundspeak releases more country based souvenirs, Puerto Rico is near the top of the list of countries which may get one next. It'll probably be a long time before I'll see one for my finds in Ethiopia or Cuba.

Based on the number of caches in Puerto Rico and countries which do not yet have a souvenir, when/if Groundspeak releases more country based souvenirs, Puerto Rico is near the top of the list of countries which may get one next. It'll probably be a long time before I'll see one for my finds in Ethiopia or Cuba.

Setting aside the geopolitical aspect of the discussion, the database is already set up to recognize a lot of unique countries. If I do a search for Maldives, it returns 37 caches. How hard is to have a script for a Souvenir that says [if Cache Country = "X", Then assign Souvenir "Y"]? Why roll out a handful of souvenir at random times.

Setting aside the geopolitical aspect of the discussion, the database is already set up to recognize a lot of unique countries. If I do a search for Maldives, it returns 37 caches. How hard is to have a script for a Souvenir that says [if Cache Country = "X", Then assign Souvenir "Y"]? Why roll out a handful of souvenir at random times.

It's a bit more difficult than that.

First, artwork for the souvenir has to be created and it needs to represent the country accurately. There have been quite a few complaints from residents of countries about souvenir artwork that was felt did not portray the country well.

It's not a simple if/then statement either. It also has to check if the souvenir has been previously awarded. Frankly, I wouldn't make claims about the ease of implementing anything in a system unless I had access to the source code and I've been a programmer for over 30 years.

The more difficult part is the retroactive awarding. It has to iterate through every user, check to see if the user has found a cache in that country, then award the souvenir. It is the retroactive awarding that in compute intensive and when they've done a large bunch at a time in the past there were lots of cases when it didn't award one when it was supposed to or awarded one to caches that had not found a cache in the region.