Challenge caches? (moratorium close to end)

Joe Tramp

How is it with challenge caches?

The 1-year moratorium is close to its end and there is still no information... Since a day of possible publishing is near and the questionnaire was shut down in December (therefore you have collected all necessary data), you should be at least aware whether they will be allowed (and conditions are being adjusted) or not (and nobody wastes time to think new challenges).

I suspect that they will release their findings once they are complete. They gave themselves a year and you'd complain to no end if they went off half-cocked and released something that only kinda works.

Be patient. You don't need to have a challenge cache ready to go the day it opens again.

I suspect that they will release their findings once they are complete. They gave themselves a year and you'd complain to no end if they went off half-cocked and released something that only kinda works.

Be patient. You don't need to have a challenge cache ready to go the day it opens again.

Is it okay if we complain if they went off fully cocked and released something that only sort of works?

The 1-year moratorium is close to its end...

"Close" is a subjective term. As of today, they still have 50 days until the 1-year point. I'd much rather they spend the time to get it right (especially based on their past track record) than rush something inadequate out because people are getting impatient.

I would not hold my breath expecting something to be announced early, and quite frankly I don't think something will be announced by the one year anniversary. I imagine there is lots of behind the scenes discussions going on. I don't expect the new revised challenges to resemble anything that existed before, except for a few exceptions like delorme or USGS quad challenges. I expect challenge caches of the future, if they exist at all, to be very narrowly defined with out much room for wild and lengthy "rules" to qualify. I think the key point is that they will require little expenditure of reviewer time and require little to no time for appeal time, hence the narrow definition. I expect the need for millbones to be non-existent. I expect. at a minimum, the submitter will have to already qualified and perhaps even require a list of other cachers that have qualified.