Souvenir date troubles

Dame Deco

So I logged my event at 9:08 pm EST yesterday, and got a date awarded of 3/1. What the heck? I contacted Groundspeak, and here was the reply:

## Reply above this line or click the link below to add a note to this request ##

Hello Dame Deco,

Thank you for writing in to us. Unfortunately, the date on which a souvenir was awarded cannot be changed. It will reflect the date, in Pacific Standard Time, on which the log which earned the souvenir was sent.

All the best,

I'm very, very confused--Pacific Standard Time is EARLIER than EST, so why doesn't my souvenir have the right date? This happened to me last summer--a physical cache came back with the right souvenir date, and an event the same evening came back as the next day. I let it go because it didn't matter last August, but now I want my souvenir date to be 2/29!

What can be done about this? I know they can erase souvenirs--why not erase mine and let me relog or something? I didn't reply to the post because the directions above didn't seem to fit anything I was seeing on the computer screen.

Anyone else have this problem?

I logged at a little after 9 pm last night, I got the souvenir immediately, dated for the next day.

Edited by Dame Deco

Not sure what the issue is - when I look at your profile, I see that you have both of the Leap Day Souvenirs and they both say "Acquired on 2/29/2016". Where are you seeing the 3/1 date?

That's not what I see--the one for the event reads: Acquired on 03/01/2016

Not sure what the issue is - when I look at your profile, I see that you have both of the Leap Day Souvenirs and they both say "Acquired on 2/29/2016". Where are you seeing the 3/1 date?

That's odd. Below is what I see when I look at the Souvenirs tab of your profile. Both say 2/29. If you are seeing something different when you look at your profile, then that is a different bug that you may want to submit to Groundspeak:

gc-damedeco-souvis.png

I would have thought that the date of the actual log not when it the log was submitted would be most significant. I live in the UK and my log date for the event was 29th but I didn't send my actual log until early 1st March Local time but still Feb 29th Seattle time. So I am at a loss to see how the system decides the souvenir was awarded on March 1st. In the great scheme of life it is of little importance and all time zone issues are open to interpretation I think.

That's odd. Below is what I see when I look at the Souvenirs tab of your profile. Both say 2/29. If you are seeing something different when you look at your profile, then that is a different bug that you may want to submit to Groundspeak:

gc-damedeco-souvis.png

That's just weird! For me it reads 3/1! And for people at my event that logged it a little before me, I see "3/1" on their page, too!

Edited by Dame Deco

That's just weird! For me it reads 3/1! And for people at my event that logged it a little before me, I see "3/1" on their page, too!

I wonder if it's because of which Souvenir page. Do you see 3/1 on both of these pages:

Public Profile page - this should match what I'm seeing

Private Souvenir page

I would expect that both of these pages should show the same thing, but if they don't then that might help narrow down the issue and be useful info if you submit a new bug report to Groundspeak

I would have thought that the date of the actual log not when it the log was submitted would be most significant.

I think most people would agree with you, but unfortunately that isn't the way the site works. It uses the date on which you submitted the log, rather than the date attached to the log. As can be seen on date-specific souvenirs, this leads to non-sensical results like getting a leap day souvenir on a day other than February 29th.

As for why Dame Deco is seeing 3/1 while others (myself included) see 2/29 when we look at their profile, I can't figure out why that might be. I suspect it's somehow related to time zone settings, but like DD said, the problem seems to be the opposite of what one might expect the problem to be (ie. 21:08 EST is 18:08 PST, not 00:08 3/1 PST).

I really wish they would spend the time to finally deal with the veeeeeeery long-standing time zone issues with the website and apps.

Go here:

https://www.geocaching.com/account/settings/preferences

What do you see for your Time Zone? I wonder if you have it set to England, or something like that, that is ahead, and all the date/time is being formatted for your preferred time zone.

I set my time zone to London, looked at your profile, and now it shows it as 3/01. I bet you have your time zone set incorrectly.

I would be willing to swear that I checked all that yesterday, made sure etc., but apparently I wasn't in the right place for settings. I went looking again, and you're right--I had it set to London time! It's all fixed now, the date shows as the 29th! Oh man--I could kiss you! Thank you, thank you!

I checked yesterday, but apparently not in the right place!

If a mod wants to close this topic, that would be fine. Problem solved!

Just noticed this today.. Was looking at my state souvenirs and noticed that the date of issue seldom agrees with the date I found the cache.

Odd. Ours all seem to line up. I did notice that our friend's Georgia souvenir wasn't backdated to when we actually found caches with them, though -- their first Georgia finds were in July 2009, but their Georgia souvenir was awarded in November 2012.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I checked the recent souvenirs I earned for my player account. I believe the souvenir award date is based on the date when the qualifying log was entered into the system, not the date of the cache find. I confirmed this because I took several trips out of town to new locations, and didn't log my finds until weeks later when I was back home. The souvenir award dates match when I was back home and writing up logs.

Okay. Checked my souvenirs today. I find I have one for China. (Not sure when I last checked my souvenirs...) It says I acquired it on 12/23/2005. My only log for 12/23/2005 was for a Locationess cache: Visqueny's Doughboys. I have e-mailed the help desk. Not sure I understand why I have to include a link to my log to get a souvenir removed... Definitely a problem with the dates here...