What to do with Humphrey?!

Hi Everyone,

Last night I attended my first ever event and happened to win a giraffe (which I have named Humphrey!) on the raffle (

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/12804783_10153924703383745_8741332231489385295_n.jpg?oh=8241d9eab14b4536e065d81ea971e47d&oe=576E8818

)

Humphrey is a cache container and I wanted to do something special with him. I have never placed a puzzle/mystery cache before and thought I would lose my puzzle cache virginity!

Question is...where on earth do I start? I initially thought of getting him a wooden 'cage' made which has a combination lock on it and the cacher has to work out what the combination lock is? but any other ideas are definitely welcomed!

Hi Everyone,

Last night I attended my first ever event and happened to win a giraffe (which I have named Humphrey!) on the raffle (

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/12804783_10153924703383745_8741332231489385295_n.jpg?oh=8241d9eab14b4536e065d81ea971e47d&oe=576E8818

)

Humphrey is a cache container and I wanted to do something special with him. I have never placed a puzzle/mystery cache before and thought I would lose my puzzle cache virginity!

Question is...where on earth do I start? I initially thought of getting him a wooden 'cage' made which has a combination lock on it and the cacher has to work out what the combination lock is? but any other ideas are definitely welcomed!

I like the wooden cage idea. I'd just wonder how long the cage would last when someone finds it but doesn't have the combination.

If you're going to create a puzzle cache for it I'd suggest trying to create a puzzle with some sort of giraffe theme. It doesn't have to be complex and could be as simple as "count the spots on a picture of a giraffe" and use that number to derive digits for the coordinates.

Since giraffes are very tall (though yours isn't) placing it somewhere that a giraffe could reach would add to the theme.

Humphrey is a cache container...

Is he? He may be a container, but is he good enough to become a cache container? Some questions I'd ask include:

• Does Humphrey have some kind of seal to make him watertight?
  • If Humphrey is made of plastic (he looks like he is from your photo), is it of sufficient thickness that he will endure the elements, the handling of cachers, and potentially the weight of materials used to cover him in his hiding spot (depending on how he's hidden)?
  • Will Humphrey be hidden in such a way that he will be exposed to sunlight? Unprotected plastic will degrade when exposed to UV light and become brittle (and discolour). We don't want Humphrey to transform into Humpty Dumpty.

While Humphrey could potentially be a great and fun cache container, you'll have to be careful so he doesn't turn into a faded, cracked, leaky cache.