Augmented reality and Geocaching

Villadora

I would like to create a geocache using Augmented Reality, like the app Layar does.

Around our city there is a great area,beautiful nature, woods and moors.

In the 1920's there was a plan to build a city right on top of this park.

I would like to create a virtual walk through this non-excisting city.

So, in reality you are walking in the nature but on certain waypoints you can see (by a layer in Layar or by a QR-code or any other solution) how this nature would have looked like when this city was build.

For example on WP 1 you can 'see' the railwaystation, on WP 2 a shopping mall, etcetera.

I can create a layer in Layar, but that costs a lot of money.

Is there a (relatively) simple and cheap (I'm Dutch) solution ?

Any idea is welcome. Thanks !

It may be possible to use Wherigo cache type to make your cache...and there is no cost for it. At each location, a photo of the imaginary cityscape can be included in the Wherigo cartridge. It sounds like a really creative and interesting caching experience.

Good Luck with this.

Happy to see that this is not a cache requiring LSD as a "required tool." :anibad:

This sounds like a really cool idea.

If working with Wherigo is not to your liking, you could also try an intercache, which would have the cacher interact with a website in order to get the final coordinates.

You could find a way to make use of Blippar, which recognizes objects and provides content related to them. I think you can add or submit info when you it up, but I think you need to be a business (ie pay) in order to have it recognize new objects.

Aurasma is another app that does allow you to create AR overlays, or use existing resources; and you associate it with a scene. However you create them as 'auras' people need to download to the phone, or place them within a channel you can also create, so it could be more like a scavenger hunt, looking for images, patterns or objects which then display something on screen. Could be worth playing with :)

If you identify one or more third party apps that you'd like to use as the basis for the experience you're describing, before investing too much time it would be a good idea to write to your Community Volunteer Reviewer to make sure that using that app is acceptable under the guidelines relating to third party software / technology. For example, layar and aurasma are not allowed for use as necessary elements for finding a mystery cache. Wherigo or Intercache would be safe bets.

Edited by Keystone