so what seems to be the standard GPS workhorse now?

Just getting back into caching after about 3-4 year break. Took out the trust old Garmin 60CSx and found that the GC app on my Galaxy 5s was doing a better job by about 20 feet. Was a little disappointed, but knew back in the day this was the workhorse that everyone swore by. I assumed with the improvement in technology that it could be lacking a little but never thought my phone would beat it. Back when I had used the iPhone 4 it was terrible for caching. So, has there become a newer one that seems to be the trusty sidekick this used to be? I knew the 62 came out right as I had stopped caching and now I see there is a 64st. Any suggestions? I have a Mallegan GC too but haven't tried that one out now, but remember from the past I found the 60 to be much better than the GC.

I too, started with a 60CSx. After a few years and one refurbished replacement I decided to try the new (at the time) Oregon 600. I didn't like it for a number of reasons. I bit the bullet and bought a 64s and have been happy since.

Don't expect to fire it up and go caching without some head-scratching, though. The 64s Looks a lot like the 60CSx but it operates substantially differently. Read the manual, ask questions here and things will be good.

My advice would be to update the 60CSx software before you write the unit off.

If you are going to let it go please give me a shout.

Regards

Didn't think of that... it's been so long since I have done anything with this... was there a Garmin "dashboard" type thing I need to download to do that?

Hi, https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1245

If I remember correctly you have to go through the update process twice as there are two pieces of software to be updated.

To check your software version :- Hit Menu/Menu, choose Setup, choose System, hit Menu again, choose "Software Version". The firmware version is the "Software Version" at the top.

My unit has software v 4.10 and GPS software v 2.10

Regards

Hi, https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1245

If I remember correctly you have to go through the update process twice as there are two pieces of software to be updated.

To check your software version :- Hit Menu/Menu, choose Setup, choose System, hit Menu again, choose "Software Version". The firmware version is the "Software Version" at the top.

My unit has software v 4.10 and GPS software v 2.10

Regards

got software v 4.00 and GPS SW v 3.00

Once you are used to the use of cellphone app's it's hard to go back to a dedicated gps, the dedicated gps'es are better for the obvious reasons.

If your 60 is running ok now I wouldn't bother about differences, because the real spot might be between the 2 units.

Many modern models do not excel in accuracy, so before you buy something new be sure what you buy.