From NYC to Delaware

dr_phatcity

I am new to Geocache, but I have done quite a bit of orienteering so I don't imagine this will be to difficult of a switch.

I am taking a trip from NYC to Delaware and I plan on finding some of the cache's aroung the George Washington Bridge this Friday.

However, can anyone reccomend some interesting cache's between here and Delaware. Are there any good one's in the Delaware Water Gap for example?

-Jamie

We are a little confused. The Delaware Water Gap is directly west of the George Washington Bridge on I-80. The state of Delaware is south. Please clarify.

Also please clarify what you want in a good cache. Part of our definition is that we must spend at least 3 hours hunting the cache.

Well,

I wished that I had read the above email before departing. Let me explain a little.

So, I live in NYC - hence the George Washington Bridge comment -- I found By George what a bridge, by the way.

The trip was to Delaware, for a wedding. WE did take some time to look for some cache's. We found a couple of easy caches in and around Wilmington.

As for the Delaware Water Gap -- what a fiasco. We had planned on going to the Delaware water gap on the way back home, but neither the GF nor I looked at a map. Neither of us realized that the Delaware Water Gap had nothing to do with the State of Delaware.

Had a good time for the first few cache's, anyway.

In terms of a good cache. The first few I have found have been REALLY easy. I would love a cache that made me hike or walk a little distance. So far, the ones we have found have been VERY short walks from the parking lot.

I am looking at some of the other forum threads for good caches near NYC or in southern CT. Thank you for the reply.

-Jamie

[This message was edited by dr_phatcity on July 02, 2003 at 06:54 PM.]

If you want something nearby that's more challenging, The Giant's Stairs has a very good reputation. It's not far from the GWB.

But generally, for longer hikes, you'll have to come northern NJ. Some of The Artful Dodger's caches invlove good walks. I have several that require a few miles of walking (just click on my profile for a list of my caches) and the grand daddy of all hiking caches in the area is Waterboy's NY/NJ Multi State Multi Cache.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on July 03, 2003 at 08:48 AM.]

I have to second the Giant's Stairs as a great cache. Make sure you read the logs before you go though. There are 2-3 simple mistakes that can make that cache one of the most demanding caches in northern New Jersey.

Also there are a large number of caches in the Palisades that are great. All within 20 minutes of the GWB.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

Sorry we are a little slow in responding. There are several caches that would require a minimum of 4 miles hiking. In Harriman Park the following (listed alphabetically) are included:

cladiµs was here + _0nely blu

Herbert Mine cache

L.bug

No Hints, NY Style

Pingyp (From nearest legal parking area)

Ramapo Torne

Water Tank

In North Jersey the following are 4 miles or more:

Helispot

New York/New Jersey Multi-State Multi-Cache

No Hints Bridges the Gap

Rutherford View

The Love Shack and Beyond

Two additional hikes, slightly less than 4 miles but with significant elevation change include:

Covert-002

Dreamcatcher

These last two can also be combined with others on the list above.

Wow,

Thanks for all the advice, Harrald, Brian Snat and WWW.

I will certainly try a bunch of these geocache's -- they sound great. I did try a few in SW CT this weekend -- apparently didn't have the touch this weekend got to the right spots but didn't find the cache. I guess it didn't help that I was running around trying to get some exercise and get some errands done.

I had a good couple of finds on thursday around my house when I went for a run. Too.

Harrald made a comment to read the logs before I tried the cache's. Although, I am kinda worried about spoilers - I definately would have saved TONS of time if I had checked the logs out for some of my cache attempts this weekend.

Oh well. Thanks for the advice for a newbie. Anyone Doing the Magellan GPS treasure hunt?