iPhone app for locating benchmarks

rnrgrl

Does anyone know of an iPhone app for locating/determining what kind, etc. benchmarks are in the area?

I know of one called Huntmarkers but cannot find it and I think it may have changed names.

Thank you for any help.

rnrgrl, please see this post:

HuntMarkers

The short version is if you have the app you can use it but it is no longer available for download, sorry.

There is an app called findacontrol from Critigen but it doesn't have the same linking functions. See what you think of that one.

Mike

BTW, does anyone know if it is possible to send an app to someone?

I don't hunt benchmarks very often, but here I am in Las Vegas facing a challenge cache that requires 100 benchmark finds.  I have 60 and therefore need 40 more.  I go to my Huntmarker app all excited to find some more only to get a message saying  it needs to be updated to iOS 11.  I look up FindAControl and it hasn't been updated either, but at least people have been able to leave messages requesting such.  Any other apps out there?

On 3/21/2020 at 1:33 AM, paisleykmt said:

I know this thread is old but does anyone have an update? My BF has an android and just downloaded the app. Alas I have an iPhone. Any updates foxtrot_xray?

Unfortunately, I've never owned and don't own an iOS device - and due to my jobs, I don't have the time to learn a new programming language needed for iOS. Now, if there IS a developer here, I'd be glad to work with them and help them with what needs to be done, but unless I have help with the development work, right now my hands are tied. :(

• Helpful 1

I just released a benchmark app for iPhone and iOS called Benchmark Hunter: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/benchmark-hunter/id1591357988

I'm planning for future updates so feel free to drop me an email with feature requests, bugs, or any other concerns. bobbyschultz2@gmail.com. Full disclosure: it's not as full featured as BenchMap but I (think I) have the basics covered. You can browse benchmarks on a satellite/road map, view the mark's datasheet, and of course link to it's Geocaching.com page.

First update will be to add a topo map view. Working on that right now.

Foxtrot_xray: I've been a longtime user of BenchMap until I (hesitantly) switched to iPhone earlier this year. When I switched,  I really missed BenchMap and couldn't find another benchmark app. I actually carried my old phone with me on adventures just so I would have BenchMap. I can't say enough good things about BenchMap. I am a big fan and I hope one day my app will be as full-featured on iOS as BenchMap is on Android.

Also...as my first iOS app...I now understand why developers tend to prefer Android. Working through Apple's policies, requirements, and approvals is painful and frustrating. Probably the only iOS app I'll ever build.

• Upvote 2

Fantastic! Very awesome! I sadly can't even test and play with it; no Apple device. :(

But yeah -

Also...as my first iOS app...I now understand why developers tend to prefer Android. Working through Apple's policies, requirements, and approvals is painful and frustrating. Probably the only iOS app I'll ever build.

This was my biggest issue - I know iFolks want to use it, but with two development jobs and a contracting signal job, my time was (still is) too thin to be able to put that effort in.

I know the USGS team out of Florida may start using your app - last year apparently they had all switched to iPhones, and sent me a message asking if they could access my app on their phones. Sadly, I told them it wasn't possible. :D

Congrats, and look forward to now having a 'feature race' with you. Muhaha! :D