The service is unavailable.

sloth96

Howdy,

I am trying to finish off some of my field notes to complete logs today and I am getting "The service is unavailable." messages on the website. Does anyone else see this?

Thanks

Yes, I am seeing the same thing also, whenever I try to bring up a specific cache, I see "The Service Is Unavailable".

Actually, Lackeys have been hard at work this weekend, monitoring the server load on the busy Leap Day Weekend, and shipping emergency rations to the hamsters as needed. If you happen upon a hamster who hasn't had their snack, wait a bit and try again.

Any news on progress? I haven't been able to get anywhere on the site since yesterday.

Just the constant "The service is unavailable"

As for the whole "hamster" reference. Maybe it's an old-timer thing...but I don't really understand how it's amusing? Is there a hamster-related story that is essential geo-knowledge?

I believe it's that the servers at Groundspeak are powered by hamsters running in wheels. Once you establish that premise, there's no end to the possible jokes. For a time (I'm not sure if it's still the case), the page that was displayed when the site was undergoing maintenance had a video showing the hamsters undertaking said maintenance.

...and always remember, many reviewers are dogs. :laughing:

As for the whole "hamster" reference. Maybe it's an old-timer thing...but I don't really understand how it's amusing? Is there a hamster-related story that is essential geo-knowledge?

I believe it's that the servers at Groundspeak are powered by hamsters running in wheels. Once you establish that premise, there's no end to the possible jokes. For a time (I'm not sure if it's still the case), the page that was displayed when the site was undergoing maintenance had a video showing the hamsters undertaking said maintenance.

...and always remember, many reviewers are dogs. :laughing:

And some players are hamsters in frog's clothing. They have been known to leave hamsters as swag.

there's no end to the possible jokes.

I beg to differ... <_<

Look, I made a non-technical post to let readers know that employees at Geocaching HQ were hard at work to make sure that the servers were handling this weekend's heavy load. It was easier for me to relate the status by referring to "server hamsters" because (1) I know stuff that isn't public and I need to obscure facts I'm not authorized to share, and (2) I'm a volunteer sitting thousands of miles away from HQ, and I have no background in servers and website performance.

I made a judgment that it would be helpful for the community to hear a "they're working on it" update, and in general it had the desired effect. Stay silent, and the community's frustration increases. Say something, and the words get nitpicked. It's no wonder that so many Lackeys and site volunteers choose to stay silent.

Me, I stand by my work, and I'm gonna keep on doing it.

Now let's get back on topic. Is site performance better for everyone? I was able to log my Leap Day finds, review and publish a bunch of new caches, and otherwise use the site as normal today.

I am having trouble accessing pages to log finds I made on the "E.T." this weekend! occasionally I can enter a few and then I get no responses. I have tried IE, Chrome, and Firefox with the same results! Hope our friends at HQ fix it soon!!!!

Edited by klipsch49er