New - Found First Coin

Sugarplum26

Hello,

I'm new to geocaching (only started about 2 weeks ago). I've been out on a long trail today finding caches and I came across my first geocoin! I was very excited but I'm rather stuck at how to log it as there isn't a trackable number on the coin. It has a name but I don't know how to log...I've been through the instructions but still unsure.

Thank You :-)

There are various coins without tracking, even made by the coin companies. A coin with a cacher's name and no tracking number may be a signature item, not trackable.

What is the name on the coin?

What cache did you find it in? Did you mention in your Found log that there's a Geocoin you can't log? If so, someone waiting for it to be logged may respond.

Is it listed in the cache Inventory on the left column of the cache page? If so, that's a good sign that it can be logged.

Is there text inscribed on the coin like "Trackable at Geocaching.com"? If it's a non-Groundspeak URL, you would follow instructions on another site instead.

Can you post a photo?

If it is a coin that otherwise seems trackable, look at the edge of the coin. Sometimes the tracking number is stamped around the edge.

Edited by kunarion

We too found our first coin. After doing a little Googling we found an image linked here:

http://www.amazon.com/Compass-Rose-Geocoin-Geotokens-Geocoins/dp/B001B4U19O

My guess is it's a tradable vs a trackable? As there is no identifiers (names, numbers, etc) and apparently sold in bulk. Correct?

There are various coins without tracking, even made by the coin companies. A coin with a cacher's name and no tracking number may be a signature item, not trackable.

What is the name on the coin?

What cache did you find it in? Did you mention in your Found log that there's a Geocoin you can't log? If so, someone waiting for it to be logged may respond.

Is it listed in the cache Inventory on the left column of the cache page? If so, that's a good sign that it can be logged.

Is there text inscribed on the coin like "Trackable at Geocaching.com"? If it's a non-Groundspeak URL, you would follow instructions on another site instead.

Can you post a photo?

If it is a coin that otherwise seems trackable, look at the edge of the coin. Sometimes the tracking number is stamped around the edge.

We too found our first coin. After doing a little Googling we found an image linked here:

http://www.amazon.com/Compass-Rose-Geocoin-Geotokens-Geocoins/dp/B001B4U19O

My guess is it's a tradable vs a trackable? As there is no identifiers (names, numbers, etc) and apparently sold in bulk. Correct?

Correct. :)

As it says on the listing you link to:

they are not trackable - nor do they have an icon