Placing Caches and reasons why you can not place them

tpike758

I was trying to place my first cache today and I was in a park with other caches but none within the 528 feet. Why are some areas red but theres no cache within that radius? Is there a way to get these blocks taken down? Also how are some caches overlapping each other? Belle's Island for example in Richmond, VA has tons of caches near each other but I was in a park where the caches were more spread out but the park had much more red area than it needed. Please help! I've set up a few caches and would love to start placing as soon as possible!

All of the red circles are actual, active caches. You might not be able to see some of them if you are using the official Intro App without a premium membership, but you can see nearly all caches on the website except for the exact locations of premium member only caches.

The red circles can overlap because they show a 528 foot radius. So, one red circle can never overlap past the midpoint of another red circle.

eab95fd7-076b-4f77-ae9d-a8264c5bd10e.jpg

Yep, there's quite a few caches in the park.

Is there a way to get these blocks taken down?

No. Each one of those red circles represents a cache. Your cache can nudge up right to the edge of those red circles, but you can't be within the red circle.

Also how are some caches overlapping each other?

Each circle is 1,056 feet in diameter, or 2 x 528 feet. As long as the circles do not overlap in the center, they are 528 feet apart.

One critical point to keep in mind, is the following on the map page:

Enter the coordinates for your geocache’s location below to make sure it doesn’t conflict with other visible waypoints.

Hidden Waypoints are not visible on the submission maps, so even though you may not see a red circle, there could be a Final cache for a Puzzle, Multi or some other cache type that is not a Traditional.

I was trying to place my first cache today and I was in a park with other caches but none within the 528 feet. Why are some areas red but theres no cache within that radius? Is there a way to get these blocks taken down? Also how are some caches overlapping each other? Belle's Island for example in Richmond, VA has tons of caches near each other but I was in a park where the caches were more spread out but the park had much more red area than it needed. Please help! I've set up a few caches and would love to start placing as soon as possible!

Help Center - Hiding a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=19

1.12. Understanding the Geocache Planning Map

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=464

1.13. Saturation Guideline: Hidden, Virtual and Additional Waypoints

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=232

B.

Why are some areas red but theres no cache within that radius? Is there a way to get these blocks taken down? Also how are some caches overlapping each other? Belle's Island for example in Richmond, VA has tons of caches near each other but I was in a park where the caches were more spread out but the park had much more red area than it needed. Please help! I've set up a few caches and would love to start placing as soon as possible!

The red circles and the overlapping of those circles can be confusing. What I think is a simple explanation is this: the red circle around your new cache can overlap with the red circle of another cache, but your cache location (the center of the red circle around your new cache) cannot be inside another red circle.

The big caveats for you to consider are:

-- You are not a Premium Member, so you will not see all the red circles around the Premium Member Only (PMO) caches.

-- No caches (whether Basic or Premium) will see red circles around the physical and final waypoints of multi caches, or the final locations of mystery caches.

If you find a place where you want to place a cache, then you may want to check with your local Reviewer about the location's availability before placing the container and/or writing up the cache page. This Help Center article provides further instruction on how to do that: 1.15. Checking for Geocache Saturation

Or at least an immediate block on coordinates sent in to to hide a potential cache, I take back being able to see them, I just don't want to keep going back and forth just to find out a day later it's not a valid spot.

If you find a place where you want to place a cache, then you may want to check with your local Reviewer about the location's availability before placing the container and/or writing up the cache page. This Help Center article provides further instruction on how to do that:

1.15. Checking for Geocache Saturation

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol
Or at least an immediate block on coordinates sent in to to hide a potential cache, I take back being able to see them, I just don't want to keep going back and forth just to find out a day later it's not a valid spot.
Immediate feedback that coordinates are not available (including hidden waypoints of multi-caches, puzzle caches, etc.) would make it trivial for people to battleship the locations of multi-caches, puzzle caches, etc.

But see the Help Center article Checking for Geocache Saturation, especially the part about getting a coordinate check from a local reviewer.

-- You are not a Premium Member, so you will not see all the red circles around the Premium Member Only (PMO) caches.

Is this true? I thought one of the touted features of that map was that it showed circles for PMO caches so a basic member would know they can't hide a cache there.

I thought the PMO caches were not visible in the cache saturation checker, but maybe I'm wrong on that. Not sure how to check without a Basic Member account.

Wouldn't showing circles around PMO caches allow Basic Members to find those PMO containers?

Not only that ^^ but I will look at my map and see red circles, find a spot that's open, then go check my app for caches near by and there's a cache that is non-premium smack dab right in a "valid" non-red area area, so then it will get denied. What is up with these bugs? Can a man just hide a cache?

Not only that ^^ but I will look at my map and see red circles, find a spot that's open, then go check my app for caches near by and there's a cache that is non-premium smack dab right in a "valid" non-red area area, so then it will get denied. What is up with these bugs? Can a man just hide a cache?

You sure it's not the final location of a mystery or multi?

Wouldn't showing circles around PMO caches allow Basic Members to find those PMO containers?

PMO status is not intended to prevent Basic Members from finding the cache, just from viewing the cache listing. There are well-known ways for Basic Members to log PMO caches that they've found, and Groundspeak has endorsed the practice by intentionally leaving these methods open and restoring them when changes break them.

I have a Basic Member test account, so I just logged in with it and confirmed that red circles are shown for PMO caches.

What exactly is it that's in that spot? Only physical caches or stages of a cache will be reflected by red circles. If it's a virtual type of cache or a virtual stage, the proximity map correctly won't show any red circles, because those aren't covered by the proximity guideline.

PMO status is not intended to prevent Basic Members from finding the cache, just from viewing the cache listing. There are well-known ways for Basic Members to log PMO caches that they've found, and Groundspeak has endorsed the practice by intentionally leaving these methods open and restoring them when changes break them.

I have a Basic Member test account, so I just logged in with it and confirmed that red circles are shown for PMO caches.

Okay, thanks for checking. I stand corrected.

I knew that Basic Members can log PMO caches, but thought that was mostly for cases where a Basic Member goes caching with a Premium Member -- like cases of friends/families, where one person in the group is PM and everyone else is BM. I didn't think that Groundspeak promoted BM's to find PMO caches by looking for things in the center of red circles. It does help with planning cache placements, so I can see the benefit of having PMO locations visible to everyone that's trying to find a spot for a new cache. I wonder if most CO's know about this workaround method of finding PMO caches when they mark their caches as PMO. I'm sure most CO's know about the logging workaround.

Can a man just hide a cache?
Once upon a time, the guidelines included an explanation that the goals of the saturation guideline is to encourage you to seek out new places to hide caches, and to limit the number of caches hidden in a particular area.

IMHO, if the only way to find a place for a cache is to look for holes in the saturation map, then it's time to seek out new places to hide caches.