Garmin Chirp

davesport

Noob post, not been doing this long.

I'd like to cache my Garmin Chirp with coordinates that lead to another conventional cache. I want the Chirp's location to remain hidden so there will be nothing to be found there apart from the information transmitted to anyone with a suitable Garmin device.

I'd like the 2nd (conventional) cache to be located only via the Chirp information and not located on the map.

Is doing this going to lead to confusion ?

Thanks in advance, Dave.

I'd like to cache my Garmin Chirp with coordinates that lead to another conventional cache. I want the Chirp's location to remain hidden so there will be nothing to be found there apart from the information transmitted to anyone with a suitable Garmin device.

I'd like the 2nd (conventional) cache to be located only via the Chirp information and not located on the map.

Thanks in advance, Dave.

That is how most Chirp caches work. Be sure to use the wireless beacon attribute.

List it as a ? type cache and hide the final coordinates.

Edited by Manville Possum

Thanks in advance, Dave.

I placed mine similar to the way you mention. I also typed a bunch of info about the ins & outs of hunting a Chirp, in the cache description. Even my own GPSr would crash after loading the Chirp data, until I did a reset, and now it's OK. Chirp is kinda crazy. :yikes:

Some things that may help:

Place the Chirp device as high as possible, but where you can still easily enough change the battery. The Chirp should not be on the ground nor attached to a metal object, and not actually in the cache. But it may be inside a separate plastic film canister or ziplock bag, to protect it from the elements. It should be hidden in a way that Geocachers are least likely to find. I camo-taped mine to a branch of a tall bush, and tried to remember where. :anicute:

When it's hidden, check the distance that your GPSr picks up the signal, and it's good if it's 50 feet or more. If it's less than 20 feet, that will be a tough one to reliably get the coords from. One of mine is defective, with max range of 16 feet, unacceptable.

A newer Garmin GPSr such as the Oregon 600, will display the acquired waypoint, then sort the waypoint into the list of other loaded waypoints. You'll have to name the Chirp's waypoint in a way that cachers can easily pick it out in the list.

Edited by kunarion

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Review Process: Hiding a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=303

1.25. Beacon Geocaches

In geocaching, a beacon is a wireless device that transmits a brief message which can be used to find a geocache.

Cache owners, please observe the the following requirements:

All geocaches that utilize a wireless beacon must have the "beacon" attribute (pictured above) on the geocache page.

If the cache owner does not provide an alternative means of finding the geocache, it must be listed as an Mystery geocache.

A beacon can be listed as a type other than Mystery if seekers can find the geocache without being able to receive the beacon's message.

Intermediate waypoints using a beacon should be designated as Physical, or if entered from the waypoints page, Stage of a Multi-cache.

Cache descriptions may mention NFC (Near Field Communication) or the "Chirp" (a specific beacon) only if the text is brief and does not have overtones of promotion, marketing or advertising, as per our commercial guidelines. Names of GPS companies and compatible models of GPS units are not appropriate on a geocache page.

There are no plans to add a beacon geocache type.

B.

List it as a ? type cache and hide the final coordinates.

Don't agree. List it as Multi with the start coordinates at the chirp location.

"If the cache owner does not provide an alternative means of finding the geocache, it must be listed as an Mystery geocache.

A beacon can be listed as a type other than Mystery if seekers can find the geocache without being able to receive the beacon's message."

Intermediate waypoints using a beacon should be designated as Physical, or if entered from the waypoints page, Stage of a Multi-cache.

Stage of a Multi-cache? So what exactly is it, a Mystery-Multi?

Where I come from, we have plenty of multi cache where a chirp station is just part of the multi. What exactly is a Beacon Geocaches?

Thanks,

MB

What exactly is a Beacon Geocaches?

Thanks,

MB

A wireless beacon, like a Chirp. A transmitter, like MP3 player caches. A wireless transmitted radio signal.

To clarify, I own a cache that uses an FM radio transmitter, and I was specifically told by the reviewer that such caches do not fall under the category of "beacon caches" and it shouldn't have the attribute.

Thanks,

MB

A wireless beacon, like a Chirp. A transmitter, like MP3 player caches. A wireless transmitted radio signal.

To clarify, I own a cache that uses an FM radio transmitter, and I was specifically told by the reviewer that such caches do not fall under the category of "beacon caches" and it shouldn't have the attribute.

OK, but if a FM radio transmitter is not a wireless beacon then what is it? You have to receive information from the FM transmitter to locate the final don't you?

Thanks,

MB

OK, but if a FM radio transmitter is not a wireless beacon then what is it? You have to receive information from the FM transmitter to locate the final don't you?

In general discussion, an FM transmitter could be considered a wireless beacon. However, as far as this geocache listing site is concerned, it isn't a "beacon cache" or one which can use the "Wireless Beacon" attribute. The attribute I used on my cache listing to indicate that there's something special about it is "Special Tool Required", namely something that can receive FM broadcast radio signals.

Thanks,

MB

In general discussion, an FM transmitter could be considered a wireless beacon. However, as far as this geocache listing site is concerned, it isn't a "beacon cache" or one which can use the "Wireless Beacon" attribute. The attribute I used on my cache listing to indicate that there's something special about it is "Special Tool Required", namely something that can receive FM broadcast radio signals.

What were you told the requirements here are for a wireless beacon cache to use the attribute by your reviewer?

From the help center:

"1.25. Beacon Geocaches

In geocaching, a beacon is a wireless device that transmits a brief message which can be used to find a geocache.

Cache owners, please observe the the following requirements:

All geocaches that utilize a wireless beacon must have the "beacon" attribute (pictured above) on the geocache page.

If the cache owner does not provide an alternative means of finding the geocache, it must be listed as an Mystery geocache.

A beacon can be listed as a type other than Mystery if seekers can find the geocache without being able to receive the beacon's message.

Cache descriptions may mention NFC (Near Field Communication) or the "Chirp" (a specific beacon) only if the text is brief and does not have overtones of promotion, marketing or advertising, as per our commercial guidelines. Names of GPS companies and compatible models of GPS units are not appropriate on a geocache page.

There are no plans to add a beacon geocache type."

What are the requirements here for a wireless beacon cache to use the attribute?

The Help Center article doesn't explicitly specify, but I believe it's only for Chirp and NFC (the article mentions both of those technologies, but doesn't say whether there are others). At the time I hid my cache, the reviewer actually said the attribute was only for Chirp, but NFC smartphones were just coming onto the market and NFC now seems to be included.