Maryland Geocaching Society is taking control!

Geocachman

Well folks, guess what!

There is a new sheriff in town and it is the self-promoting arrogant Maryland Geocaching Society. According to their website they will be snatching up caches if they haven't been maintained properly or (in their opinion) abandoned. If they think it has been abandoned they will "adopt it" under the societies name. I hope they don't forget that what goes around comes around, like their caches are the perfectly maintained caches. One might think...Well, you know.... I really like the location of that there cache I visited last week, I think I'll claim jump it! Hey folk's, its open season, pick a cache and put your name on it, what better way to add to you inventory. What the heck is Geocahing.com thinking, giving them the authority to approve caches? Any wonder why most of the caches approved lately is from them...huh!

And what in the world is it with all of these so-called micro or mini caches that they are saturating the parks with. What? You can't hide real caches like big boys? Who you going copy off of next?

Boy this is fun!!!!

You know, although I just registered with Geocaching.com, I have been lurking for several months. I have even gone out on the hunt several times with friends. I just thought it was time to add my two cents worth. Just my opinion folks!!!!

The Geocachman

George

Geocachman@yahoo.com

[This message was edited by Geocachman on December 20, 2002 at 02:36 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Geocachman:

Well folks, guess what!

There is a new sheriff in town and it is the self-promoting arrogant Maryland Geocaching Society. According to their website they will be snatching up caches if they haven't been maintained properly or (in their opinion) abandoned. If they think it has been abandoned they will "adopt it" under the societies name. I hope they don't forget that what goes around comes around, like their caches are the perfectly maintained caches. One might think...Well, you know.... I really like the location of that there cache I visited last week, I think I'll claim jump it! Hey folk's, its open season, pick a cache and put your name on it, what better way to add to you inventory. What the heck is Geocahing.com thinking, giving them the authority to approve caches? Any wonder why most of the caches approved lately is from them...huh!

And what in the world is it with all of these so-called micro or mini caches that they are saturating the parks with. What? You can't hide real caches like big boys? Who you going copy off of next?

Boy this is fun!!!!

You know, although I just registered with Geocaching.com, I have been lurking for several months. I have even gone out on the hunt several times with friends. I just thought it was time to add my two cents worth.

The Geocachman

I'm a new geocacher in Northern Virginia, and I whole heartly suppport the actions and motivations of the MD GC Society. These are a group of folks who have made significant progress with the MD Parks Dept. Before they organized, MD was on the verge of banning Geocaching in the entire state. They spend countless untold and unrecognized hours interfacing with State government agencies to make sure the Geocaching is available in Maryland for people like you.

------------

To address your other misinformed claims:

They're are only assuming control of caches that have been abandoned, and they determine this only after multiple attempts have been made to contact the original hider.

The powers-that-be at www.geocaching.com gave them the authority to approve/disapprove caches.

& finally:

If you don't like micro-caches, don't look for them.

It's nice to be noticed!

Remember.. I'm not the one hiding behind a blank profile with no name, no hides, no finds, no nothing. I'll stand for myself and fight for those who stand with me.

The difference between you and me is if I have an opinion, you'll know who said it by name.

Who's a big boy now?

But rather than start a flame war if anyone has any questions about what the Maryland Geocaching Society, and what it stands for feel free to email me I'll tell you.

That's my final say, I won't waste any time fueling this post.

Got questions? Ask.. The email in my profile is valid.

Randall J. Berry

davros@mdgps.net

MicroLogo.jpg

www.mdgps.net

quote:

Well folks, guess what!

Boy this is fun!!!!

You know, although I just registered with Geocaching.com, I have been lurking for several months. I have even gone out on the hunt several times with friends. I just thought it was time to add my two cents worth. Just my opinion folks!!!!

The Geocachman

George

Geocachman@yahoo.com

[This message was edited by Geocachman on December 20, 2002 at 02:36 PM.]

What is your problem? The MGS is in no way "snatching" up caches. We as a club have adopted only one cache to date which had been abandoned and was in very poor shape. This also happened to be the oldest cache in the state that was active so we decided it was worth saving! The placer hadn't visited this site in months and their email addy was no longer working. If they would ever like to step up and reclain that cache they are more than welcome to.

We do have a forum on our website for Md cachers to let others know when a cache needs some attention. There is no intention to adopt all these caches, only the hope that the next person who hunts it might be able to take the time to do a quick repair job, ie. replace a cracked container, add a new log book.

As davros stated if you have questions and would like to get your facts straight feel free to email us before posting more unwarranted and sensless messages to the forums.

-------------------------------------

Hope is the destination that we seek.

Love is the road that leads to hope.

Courage is the motor that drives us.

We travel out of darkness into faith.

-=The Book Of Counted Sorrows=-

quote:
Originally posted by Davros:

But rather than start a flame war if anyone has any questions about what the Maryland Geocaching Society, and what it stands for feel free to email me I'll tell you.

You mean it won't be clear from the opening paragraphs on the MDGCS's main page? ... No, I guess it won't:

quote:

... We are a group of active Geocachers who use the resources of the Maryland Geocaching Society to socialize with other members. We strive to work cooperatively with land managers to support geocaching in our area. ...

Our goal is to promote the sport of Geocaching and gain acceptance of the game within Maryland. We work as closely as possible with the Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR), and other property management officials to protect your rights to participate in this rapidly growing sport.

It is clear from that excerpt that the MDGCS is primarily a social group. We then read two self-serving statements that purport to describe the group's activities, but which appear to actually be disclaimers. ("We strive to work cooperatively... " and "We work as closely as possible with...") Neither statement remotely suggests that the society or its individual members adhere to guidelines or suggestions from the named agencies that they happen to disagree with; in fact, they suggest the opposite.

I don't understand why such a society is needed to help a "rapidly growing sport" "gain acceptance within Maryland" if that sport is already popular enough in Maryland to warrant the creation of a social group.

I can see how the original poster came to the conclusion that the statement "We strive to ... support geocaching in our area" could also be read "We strive to work cooperatively ... to control geocaching in our area."

Especially, as someone eluded to earlier, when a guy called "Davros" is leading the effort. icon_wink.gif

*Tongue Out of Cheek*

It's clear to me that The Maryland Geocaching Society is a positive influence and valuable resource in their geocaching community. Keep up the good work. icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by ACME geocachers on December 21, 2002 at 06:21 AM.]

"I would just like to add my two cents worth. Just my opinion folks." Well, if that doesn't sound very familiar to me. I know who the coward is that's doing this trashtalk. You may think you have fooled the others, but you haven't fooled me in the least. The next time you should choose your words wisely.

The Maryland Geocaching Society is constantly growing and that is a good thing. Although certain individuals seem to have a problem with that, simply because they are not a part of it. But that's okay, because we will continue to move forward without them.

As far as Davros and Crashmore approving caches here in Maryland, what is wrong with that? I think you have a better chance of getting approval and getting a quicker response, then you would from someone in a different state. I know I don't like waiting 3 or more hours to get approval for my Maryland cache from a cacher out of Georgia.

And as far as all of the micros and mini-caches, if you don't like looking for those, then don't. Some people enjoy them because they are generally harder or they don't get into the trading of items. Most people are just out for the thrill of the hunt, not what is inside for the taking. There are plenty of traditional caches out there and there will be many more to follow.

Supposedly you have not logged any finds or hides. Well both of us know that isn't true. Naturally you are registered under a different name and you have quite a few finds. Matter of fact, I believe you wish to keep up your stats but just don't care for micros. So until more traditional caches go out there, you will have to just sit behind your computer and continue to talk trash that you can't back up. Now I know you thought that your post would get under everyone's skin that is involved with the MGS, but in all reality, we're doing nothing but laughing at you. The real joke is on you.

Merry Christmas,

Klause Von Kuhn

Maryland Geocaching Society

www.mdgps.net

I am naive but I have both sites bookmarked and have read both extensively soaking all I could like a sponge all the rules and regulations since I live in Maryland. It seems to me that the society works hand in hand with the main site and are trying to work with the state (ie: park service at state and local level) to keep this sport a growing, safe, and fun one. My naive honest two cents is I am glad there is both and I reference both for information. Just my two cents which is probably not nearly worth two.

I hate to be the one to bump this back up to the top of the radar screen but I've been out of town and came upon this late. The allegations made by the initial poster (whomever he may be) simply aren't true.

As far as having our members approving caches in Maryland, I think it's a good thing. Who would know better the parks, the area, the landscape, and yes, the rules (in State Parks anyway) than the folks who live and cache here and worked to hash out an agreement with the parks to allow any geocaching at all? I would think having locals approve local caches would make sense anywhere.

Happy caching,

Tedoca

Why thank you Klause for that warm "stab you in the back" kinda holiday cheer, back at ya with the same wormth and sincerity!!!! Huh....I guess since your 2 cents canceled my 2 cents....well here is 2 more for you. You think you know who I am but you are far from right. But hey if that makes you feel better to blame someone else more power to you.

Ok, for starters I never said it was a bad idea to have Marylanders approve caches, just that I didn't think that the MGS should be the chosen ones. I too think that people in the area should do some of the approving!

And in response to those of you who have praised the MGS for all of the wonderful work that they have done. Think again!!! Most of the work they've done was to right thier own wrongs. For your information, the reason the parks were going to ban caches was because of the actions of a couple of thier own members. From what I hear I don't even think the members who saved thier butts by getting the parks to talk and getting an approval process in place are even members anymore. I believe the people who did most of the so called hard work quit the group. That should tell you something!!

As for the Adopt-A-Cache program, maybe I was a little strong. But you know the old saying, People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones". Well, I think before you concider adopting someone elses cache you should be maintaining you own caches that have been damaged, wet, or unattended for far too long. Just look around at some of thier caches and you will see that that haven't been properly maintained. Maybe someone should adopt your cache!!!!!

Thanks for the fun!!!!!

Happy New Year

The Geocachman

George

Geocachman@yahoo.com

GeoMan

wow you are one pathetic individual hiding behind a newly created account with no finds and no hides which was obviously just created by you in order to hide your identity while causing trouble. You got flamed once by everyone after your first post guess you just didn't get enough.

Coward.

quote:

Why thank you Klause for that warm "stab you in the back" kinda holiday cheer, back at ya with the same wormth and sincerity!!!! Huh....I guess since your 2 cents canceled my 2 cents....well here is 2 more for you. You think you know who I am but you are far from right. But hey if that makes you feel better to blame someone else more power to you.

Ok, for starters I never said it was a bad idea to have Marylanders approve caches, just that I didn't think that the MGS should be the chosen ones. I too think that people in the area should do some of the approving!

And in response to those of you who have praised the MGS for all of the wonderful work that they have done. Think again!!! Most of the work they've done was to right thier own wrongs. For your information, the reason the parks were going to ban caches was because of the actions of a couple of thier own members. From what I hear I don't even think the members who saved thier butts by getting the parks to talk and getting an approval process in place are even members anymore. I believe the people who did most of the so called hard work quit the group. That should tell you something!!

As for the Adopt-A-Cache program, maybe I was a little strong. But you know the old saying, People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones". Well, I think before you concider adopting someone elses cache you should be maintaining you own caches that have been damaged, wet, or unattended for far too long. Just look around at some of thier caches and you will see that that haven't been properly maintained. Maybe someone should adopt your cache!!!!!

Thanks for the fun!!!!!

Happy New Year

The Geocachman

George

Geocachman@yahoo.com

GeoMan

-------------------------------------

Hope is the destination that we seek.

Love is the road that leads to hope.

Courage is the motor that drives us.

We travel out of darkness into faith.

-=The Book Of Counted Sorrows=-

You all want to know something. I am a very newbie. Only have 2 finds and no hides. Furthermore I am not even from Maryland, and don't want to be. Been there wasn't impressed. I just want to know one thing (maybe two). Why is it when more than one person gets involved with something why does one of the extras have to be a spoiled little SH*T and make trouble for the whole? I have been involved with many different groups and organizations and been ran out of most by others B*tching about petty crap. GROW UP. I am in WV and want to get serious into this and form groups that go out and have a good time finding and hiding caches. Work with the State (God forbid that ever has to be done) to make this a healthy and fun thing to be done in WV. We have many pretty places to hide caches. But you FINE folks in MD make me wonder about that. Maybe it would be better to stay a loner Rookie who still enjoys himself than to be in a group of P*ssy school yard punks. I truly hope you guys work this out and stop being so flippin hard on one another. This sport nor any other needs this kind of publicity and if you want to bash each other you must know the email addies and phone #s. Do it in private and let the rest of the community still enjoy themselves.

Well I know I have just made a couple of friends but this petty crap has killed too many good hobbies and it makes me icon_mad.gif as hell to see it in others. Take a chill. Who cares who does what as long as the sport survives. Off the high horses and on the trail boys and girls. Now kiss and make up and hide some flippin caches and maintain them. Thank you for your support of the hobby whom ever is responsible. Stay icon_cool.gif and icon_biggrin.gif. Life is too short for BS.

WVAK47

The Important Things Are Always Simple and The Simple Things Are Always Hard.

To start with. 'George' If you are going to slander people for making an effort perhaps you should get your facts straight.

You made several errors in your last post.. Let me break it down for you.

George Wrote:

"And in response to those of you who have praised the MGS for all of the wonderful work that they have done. Think again!!! Most of the work they've done was to right thier own wrongs. For your information, the reason the parks were going to ban caches was because of the actions of a couple of thier own members. From what I hear I don't even think the members who saved thier butts by getting the parks to talk and getting an approval process in place are even members anymore. I believe the people who did most of the so called hard work quit the group. That should tell you something!!"

---

Well let's clarify this right here and now. I wrote the base draft of the guidelines and the application accepted by the park services before 'the people who did most of the so called hard work' even showed up in the club! Want proof? I have witnesses and dated emails to and from several park officials within the DNR and several other park services across the state. And a saved copy of the original website which included those base guidelines and application word for word. I also have printed documents of which I was circulating to each and every park official I came in contact with. Face to Face not purely by telephone.

As far as righting the wrongs yes you are correct. I am one of those members which got into trouble for hiding a cache on forbidden property. In the early days of caching I mistakenly placed a cache on a wildlife reserve. After all it was open to the public. This was wrong, and I found that out. But it was not intentionally breaking any laws. After being confronted by a Police Officer and warned about the consequences I decided it was time to spread the word. Is there anything wrong with that? I've never hidden behind this fact that yes, I was once threatened to be arrested for hiding a cache on restricted property. Is there anything wrong with trying to spread the word while trying to prevent anyone else from having to go through it themselves by thier own innocent intent?

George Wrote:

"As for the Adopt-A-Cache program, maybe I was a little strong. But you know the old saying, People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones". Well, I think before you concider [it's spelled 'consider' George] adopting someone elses cache you should be maintaining you own caches that have been damaged, wet, or unattended for far too long. Just look around at some of thier caches and you will see that that [Proper English only requires one adjective] haven't been properly maintained. Maybe someone should adopt your cache!!!!!"

---

Perhaps instead of your complaining and slinging your accusations maybe it would help to post which caches are in need of repair. I personally check my caches every couple of months to verify that they are there, and in good condition. If I do receive a notification that a cache needs repair or has been assumed missing I will personally verify it ASAP. With the exception of the Touchdown Micro, which I am well aware of the fact that it may be missing and have scheduled a time to verify and/or replace the cache. Please tell us which of my caches or any members caches that are in need of repair or replacement so that we can properly maintain them. Maybe its that you can't log any finds because you don't have the skills to find anything, or you can't pry yourself away from your WebTV so you assume they are missing or in disrepair. Or perhaps it's just that you've been cornered and looking for 'stones to throw' at nothing but the wind coming out of your own butt..

And to touch base on your first spouting of flatulence..

George Wrote:

"And what in the world is it with all of these so-called micro or mini caches that they are saturating the parks with. What? You can't hide real caches like big boys?"

---

It's obvious you've never had the opportunity to seek some of the micros hidden. Since you have not logged a single find to date. Some of these micros are indeed very creative, and by all means HARDER than finding a box of goodies. Or perhaps it's because you are not in it for the challenge but more of a 'what's in it for me' attitude. If there is nothing you can take then it's not worth being a game piece. Well you are wrong. Micros are an interesting challenge for many cachers most of which have grown out of the toy's and trinkets stage and concentrate more on the challenge of the find.

George Wrote:

"Any wonder why most of the caches approved lately is from them..."

As you can ask any Admin here on Geocaching.com the Maryland cache hides are very scarce lately. We welcome anyone in Maryland to hide appropriate caches. All Admins on Geocaching.com are also expected to follow the same guidelines of the users. We're not allowed to deny a cache based on our own opinion the decision is made by the admin group. So if you are implying that we're denying others cache hides because they are not members you're terribly wrong. We've got other admins to answer to as well as keep us in check.

And quite frankly I'm running out of hides to find. And since I can't log my own hides for a find there seems to be nothing nearby to find without traveling at least an hour. Anyone who wishes to hide a traditional or micro cache in Maryland please do. The only Maryland cache placed most recently is a locationless. I don't mean to insult those who enjoy them but I can flip through a magazine and find an exotic birdhouse and make up some coordinatess and impose my GPS in the picture.

And finally, Please George, continue on if you wish. I'm sure your intent was to try to hurt the MGS but I think it's backfired on you and you've shot yourself in the foot. It seems that whenever you pass gas here on the forums our site traffic soars. Thanks! So you may continue if you wish. Your back stabbing only appears to be promoting us instead of disabling us.

It's also obvious that the majority of people seem to think you are a flaming idiot. Which in it's self is entertaining because most of them are not even members of the MGS!

Oh excuse me that was a little arrogant wasn't it? icon_biggrin.gif

Randall J. Berry

davros@mdgps.net

MicroLogo.jpg

www.mdgps.net

[This message was edited by Davros on January 06, 2003 at 07:14 PM.]