Leap Weekend Promotions

RebekahJP

I saw an announcement a week or two ago, encouraging people to go out geocaching this weekend. There was going to be a special souvenier for finding any geocache this weekend, another souvenier for attending an event on 2/29, and most importantly most Premium features were going to be available to basic members. Now I can't find any such announcement and everything I click on is trying to get me to upgrade to premium. What happened to all the "premium for free" perks for this weekend?

I saw an announcement a week or two ago, encouraging people to go out geocaching this weekend. There was going to be a special souvenier for finding any geocache this weekend, another souvenier for attending an event on 2/29, and most importantly most Premium features were going to be available to basic members. Now I can't find any such announcement and everything I click on is trying to get me to upgrade to premium. What happened to all the "premium for free" perks for this weekend?

Here's the official announcement, but I don't recall seeing any announcement regarding Premium Member features:

Geocaching Blog

Touchstone sent you to the right place. That blog post has all the details.

The promotion isn't related to the website, but to the Intro App...

For this one special weekend only, all geocache types in the Geocaching Intro app (including all terrain and difficulty ratings) — usually available only to Premium members — will be available to everyone for free.

Why am I not seeing any premium caches on my paid iPhone app?

What you are calling "premium" is what Groundspeak calls "advanced". If you are thinking of "Premium Member Only" or PMO caches, then no, you're not getting those on the app for this souvenir promotion

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2016/02/extra-day-extra-fun-leap-day-weekend-only/

For this one special weekend only, all geocache types in the Geocaching Intro app (including all terrain and difficulty ratings) — usually available only to Premium members — will be available to everyone for free.

Pretty exciting, right? We think so. To make the most of this once-in-four-years opportunity, we recommend you use the app to:

Find an EarthCache — You can send your answers to the cache owner directly from the app.

Challenge your mind — Try out a Mystery Cache or higher difficulty geocache. (Hint: If you’re stumped, message the cache owner for hints.)

Explore the outdoors — Hike to extraordinary vistas by finding a higher terrain rated geocache.

Go streaking — The geocaching kind, of course. Explore different elements of the game by finding a variety of geocaches.

Download the app for iPhone or Android.

How can I earn the Leap Day souvenirs?

The first souvenir can be earned February 27-29 by getting outside and finding any geocache (events excluded). The other souvenir can be earned on Leap Day itself — February 29 — only by attending a geocaching event.

How do I see all advanced geocaches for free?

Just open up the Geocaching Intro app for iPhone or Android during February 27-29! Advanced geocaches — usually available only to Premium members — will be unlocked for everyone. By logging a geocache, you’ll even earn the Leap Day weekend souvenir!

Will I be able to find Premium Member Only geocaches?

When a cache owner hides a geocache, they can opt to have their geocache only available to Premium members. We always respect this designation so Premium Member Only geocaches will not be unlocked during Leap Day. All other geocaches — including all geocache types, and terrain and difficulty ratings — will be available to basic members to find and log in the app.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I really wish I could have opted out. I have compelling reasons for making my caches premium member caches and this stupid promotion defeats the purpose of me putting that protection in place.

Your PMO caches will not be visible to Basic Members during this promotion.

The 'premium only' capability that Basic Members are being allowed access to, in the app, is the ability to see advanced (ie, higher D/T ratings) caches. Basic Members are usually only to see the 'easier' non-PMO caches in the app. The promotion is allowing them to see the 'harder' non-PMO caches in the app.

... I have compelling reasons for making my caches premium member caches...
As a relative newbie That's something I've wondered about -- can you fill me in on reasons to make a cache premium? Thanks for any enlightenment!

If folks are having problems with their caches going missing and such, they are under the impression that making a Listing Premium Member Only gives a semblance of security. I'm not sure that is really the case or not, but it may help with more urban hides. Present company not included, but newer users may not understand the nuances of geocaching and not replace caches as they found them, or in some cases, mistakenly remove the containers. Limiting access to the Listing page to people that are willing to cough up the nominal PM fee, at least limits the audience to folks that have been to "more than one rodeo", so to speak.

As a relative newbie That's something I've wondered about -- can you fill me in on reasons to make a cache premium? Thanks for any enlightenment!

If folks are having problems with their caches going missing and such, they are under the impression that making a Listing Premium Member Only gives a semblance of security. I'm not sure that is really the case or not, but it may help with more urban hides. Present company not included, but newer users may not understand the nuances of geocaching and not replace caches as they found them, or in some cases, mistakenly remove the containers. Limiting access to the Listing page to people that are willing to cough up the nominal PM fee, at least limits the audience to folks that have been to "more than one rodeo", so to speak.

Another reason is it hides the cache from intro app users. Some CO's believe that group of cachers cause most of the maintenance problems.

A newbie? You've been a member since 2007.

Regardless, this topic has been discussed numerous times on the forum. That discussion is off-topic to this thread.

B.