Security concerns regarding permission to read text messages.

Team Rascal

Hi. I decided to try the geocaching intro app on Android. It says:

"This app won't run unless you update Google Play services."

So I say Ok and tap update.

Another screen opens with Google Play services and I tap update.

Oh what's this? Google Play services needs access to additional permissions (marked as NEW):

Among many things, it says:

Your messages

NEW: Read your text messages (SMS or MMS), receive text messages (MMS), receive text messages (SMS), send SMS messages.

It asks me to accept, but there is no way. I realize that privacy is already minimized by even owning a smart phone but even so, the line needs to be drawn.

Many of you probably have given these permissions, and that's your deal. My question is what can the people like myself do to use the geocaching app who will not permit another 3rd party app (Google Play services in this case) to read/scan my text messages? Is there an alternative method, I mean there gotta be, right?

Alternative? Use a GPS.

Now a lot of apps want permission for text and call info. Sometimes it's simply to allow those things to come up when using the app. Otherwise you might miss something important.

Or maybe it's to do with the messaging feature (in sure is) in the app.

So instead of making an assumption that there's no reason for it, ask why it's there then decide if you should download the app.

Hi. I decided to try the geocaching intro app on Android. It says:

"This app won't run unless you update Google Play services."

So I say Ok and tap update.

Another screen opens with Google Play services and I tap update.

Oh what's this? Google Play services needs access to additional permissions (marked as NEW):

Among many things, it says:

Your messages

NEW: Read your text messages (SMS or MMS), receive text messages (MMS), receive text messages (SMS), send SMS messages.

It asks me to accept, but there is no way. I realize that privacy is already minimized by even owning a smart phone but even so, the line needs to be drawn.

Many of you probably have given these permissions, and that's your deal. My question is what can the people like myself do to use the geocaching app who will not permit another 3rd party app (Google Play services in this case) to read/scan my text messages? Is there an alternative method, I mean there gotta be, right?

Google Play Services is pretty integral to the Google Android platform at this point. It provides tons of functionality that other apps can hook into to provide features - we use it for maps and notifications. It's not really so much a 3rd party app as a 1st party app, seeing as it's made by Google.

Giving SMS permissions to Google Play Services does not give Geocaching (or any other app that doesn't explicitly ask for them) those SMS permissions. Our app cannot and will not access your text messages

Alternately, if you upgrade to the latest Android OS version (6.0 I believe), you can grant or deny individual permissions, which ought to allow you to deny SMS permissions to the Google Play Services library while still installing it.