Best Looking Cache Pages

Ranger Boy

A lot of work went into this Seattle-area listing to make it look like an actual Wikipedia article!

That is very cool.

How would it look if cache descriptions were all converted to Markdown? ph34r.gif

I was wondering how it would look if anyone who logged it put any thought whatsoever into what they wrote. I think I only saw one or two positive comments about the cache page itself.

This CO is a graphics designer, and it shows on his cache pages.

Not only just the cache pages, but the theme of the cache containers and logbooks.

This one in particular has an animated GIF on the cache page: http://coord.info/GC36NQR

Check out the gallery; the cache itself and the logbook follow the cache theme, too.

You know, I have to disagree with you here. No disrespect to the CO.

Part of a 'good design' is consideration of how and where it will be used.

GPS screens, smartphones with data plans, etc., not very well suited.

You can create an awesome web page for use in a particular environment, but unless it scales or transfers well, perhaps there's room for some design sense evolution.

This CO is a graphics designer, and it shows on his cache pages.

Not only just the cache pages, but the theme of the cache containers and logbooks.

This one in particular has an animated GIF on the cache page: http://coord.info/GC36NQR

Check out the gallery; the cache itself and the logbook follow the cache theme, too.

You know, I have to disagree with you here. No disrespect to the CO.

Part of a 'good design' is consideration of how and where it will be used.

GPS screens, smartphones with data plans, etc., not very well suited.

You can create an awesome web page for use in a particular environment, but unless it scales or transfers well, perhaps there's room for some design sense evolution.

I kind of agree with you here. Perhaps the topic ought to focus primarily on webpage views on a computer screen.

As for what I feel is a well-designed cache page:

1 - Simplicity and succinctness. I'm not interested in reading a book. Get to the point and make it clear enough that I can tell when you are talking about the location and when you are talking about the cache itself. On the other hand, a five word statement usually means it's intended as nothing more than a number grab. If that's what you are going for, at least make reading the cache page worthwhile.

2 - Spelling and grammar. I think it matters and is a reflection on the cache owner. I've seen some cache pages that look like they were texts between friends or schoolmates. Pretty embarrassing to see and painful to wade through.

3 - Text and image formatting. This sort of goes back to the previous two points...but it also stands on its own. Colorful, moving or over-sized text, misaligned images, animated images, pointless graphic elements that do not contribute or relate to the content...all things I think detract from the experience. Also, a pet peeve of mine is dropping in a bunch of images that don't align or force one to scroll endlessly to reach the logs. Use images sparingly.

These are just a few things I care about. Everyone else has their own preferences and tastes. Personally, I'd rather just see a well thought-out paragraph or two of plain and simple text. Maybe an image if it is pertinent, scaled properly.

Edited by J Grouchy