Reverse Bomb Scare

knowschad

The article comes across like they are insinuating that the geocacher put the exploding tennis balls there. Very interesting twist on the bomb scare stories. Occasionally someone comes in to the forums to ask if someone would ever create a trap to harm geocachers. Maybe this is a first.

It was probably a letterbox.

More likely, it was some unexploded tennis ball bombs. Check out this video:

Thanks for the reminder that there are people like this our there. I can't believe he threw a tennis ball bomb willy nilly down the trail out of sight. He could have killed someone. Not that he would probably care. I suppose anyone coming along the trail would have heard the first couple of explosions and high-tailed it out of there.

It's highly unlikely that if the tennis balls were the same devices as in the video, that a geocacher would have set this kind of "trap" since the balls have a wick and need to be set alight. It's more likely that some delinquent left them there to return to later.

Just saw the story of this on the nightly news. The cacher was headed to this cache. The cacher found a brown paper bag in the bushes, and the tennis ball bombs were inside that bag.

When I see paper bags while caching, then I usually assume the cache is not there and don't look inside the bag unless I use a stick or something. Too many potential biohazards out there make me hesitant about looking into everything.

It was probably a letterbox.

More likely, it was some unexploded tennis ball bombs. Check out this video:

Thanks for the reminder that there are people like this our there. I can't believe he threw a tennis ball bomb willy nilly down the trail out of sight. He could have killed someone. Not that he would probably care. I suppose anyone coming along the trail would have heard the first couple of explosions and high-tailed it out of there.

It's highly unlikely that if the tennis balls were the same devices as in the video, that a geocacher would have set this kind of "trap" since the balls have a wick and need to be set alight. It's more likely that some delinquent left them there to return to later.

Photo from the news story:

Geocache-pics-II-768x549.jpg