Oyster Dome to be clear cut?

Sol seaker

http://craigromano.com/blog/2016/01/31/the-oyster-dome-to-be-clear-cut/

Anyone who has been to this area knows the pristine beauty, beautiful forest and streams, overlooking the San Juan Islands, one of the most beautiful places.

From the article:

One of Puget Sound’s most popular hiking spots may soon succumb to clear cut logging. The Oyster Dome, the Pearl of the Chuckanut Mountains—the only place in the Cascades where the mountains meet the Salish Sea—is being considered for a large logging operation. A large segment of trails including a portion of the Pacific Northwest National Scenic Trail may be seriously altered. This would be a shame for the hiking community and a slap in the face for the consortium of conservationists that worked hard a decade ago so this wouldn’t happen. - See more at: http://craigromano.com/blog/2016/01/31/the-oyster-dome-to-be-clear-cut/#sthash.W1A2eIYl.dpuf

DSCN0288-224x300.jpg

13-view-from-oyster-dome-3.jpg

19474341096_59bb65fd56.jpg

If you want to help preserve this land for generations to come, then go to this link.

http://org.salsalabs.com/o/1201/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=18965

thank you.

If it were to happen, a mass of logging roads would need to be cut into the area or would this be an example Helo removal.

This area would be scarred for ages to come. :unsure:

It is a beautiful area and lately they have been improving the trail system within the area.

Let's hope it does not happen. :sad:

Please click on that link at the bottom of my opening post and send an email. They have a pre-written and pre-addressed email ready so all it takes is to sign your name.

I added in a lot to my email.

I also clicked the links to put it on facebook. I told my friends that even if they had never been there to please help so they could go there some day.

Pass this on.

thanks

I'm sorry but I can't get to worked up about this. It is after all state trust land that is used to generate income for schools and other services. So your cool with denying schools funding to keep this as open space? Then the efforts should be focused on changing the laws passed by congress and changing the focus of DNR's management of state trust land. Sure they will clear cut it, then replant it and in another 50 years or so everyone can get upset since they want to again clear cut the land. Oh, and along the way you can get upset about the selective cutting to promote forest health. Perhaps some can offer to swap land with the state to keep this as open space.

I'm sorry but I can't get to worked up about this. It is after all state trust land that is used to generate income for schools and other services. So your cool with denying schools funding to keep this as open space? Then the efforts should be focused on changing the laws passed by congress and changing the focus of DNR's management of state trust land. Sure they will clear cut it, then replant it and in another 50 years or so everyone can get upset since they want to again clear cut the land. Oh, and along the way you can get upset about the selective cutting to promote forest health. Perhaps some can offer to swap land with the state to keep this as open space.

Did you read the referenced article? This was covered:

"An explanation. Yes, the Oyster Dome is within the Blanchard State Forest managed by the WA DNR for recreation, wildlife and timber production. Yes, I and many conservationists support this multiple use management in this forest. We realize that funds from timber harvesting in this forest goes toward education—and we are not opposed to logging in this forest. We’re opposed to logging in a 1,600-acre core section of this forest—the section that contains the Oyster Dome, two backcountry ponds, several trails and backcountry campsites. Here, recreation should be the highest management priority.

"Lily Lake surrounded by mature second growth. Will it soon be surrounded by stumps?

In 2006 an agreement was reached with DNR that would prevent logging in this core...."

And it explains the reason that this is now an issue.