Wherigo VS Wherigofoundation

verturin

This is correct.

In short, the Wherigo Foundation still has unofficial status. If we can't reach an agreement with Groundspeak, it's better if the cartridges were hosted where they always were.

This is a slightly longer answer:

I started the Wherigo Foundation to pull together all the third-party developers who were keeping Wherigo alive. We needed a way to communicate with and encourage each other. The site was created as the last thing the group needed in order to have all the tools: builders, players, compiler, API, and site. Once the site was almost finished, I approached Groundspeak and pitched the idea about our group taking care of Wherigo for them. There was interest, so I continued working on the site. Eventually, I had to make the site available online to collaborate with the other members of the WF and get usability feedback from a few people. Other people found out about the site because the WF uses Google Groups to communicate; Google's index spider found the link in our conversations and its search engine started indexing the site. As for the partnership with Groundspeak, the first proposal by them finally came last February. I've been waiting for five months for the second revision. Groundspeak is glacially slow. That might be a blessing, though, because working on Wherigo is going to require a huge time commitment, even with the workload shared among the WF members. We're all volunteers, after all.

Over the years, people have asked me about links to the WF site on their cache listings. I've always replied the same way: the official link has to be to Wherigo.com, but I'd be thankful if they'd provide feedback on the WF site. It says so on the site before you upload a cartridge, too. Always has. It's in a colored speech bubble next to one of my lesser-used pixel fox avatars.

(It took me a while to write this as I was busy at work and kept revising this. Lots of meetings.)