Neat website for checking saturation!

zookeepertx

I've been wanting to find a way to make a .1 mi circle around a spot on a map to see how far I'd have to go to place another cache. And, if there's enough room, maybe a third spot. I hoped to be able to move the circles around easily, to "test" locations/distances, if I have several choices for each area. I ran across this great site that does exactly what I need and thought I'd share, in case anyone else could use it.

http://obeattie.github.io/gmaps-radius/

Hope it helps somebody out.

Jenny

Edited by zookeepertx

Just remember that it will not take into account multis, puzzles, whereigos etc. Also google maps does a real nicw job of that.

True, but I'm just thinking about checking locations for ME to hide caches, not so much about trying to squeeze more into a cache-heavy area. There's a small park nearby that I'm hoping to get 3 caches into, so I've got my intersecting circles that show me if I can do it and how limited I am as to hiding areas.

Just remember that it will not take into account multis, puzzles, whereigos etc. Also google maps does a real nicw job of that.

How does google maps show the stages and finals of multi and puzzles when these are hidden waypoints?

You misread what i saod. The first sentence says google doesn't show stages. The secpnd sentence (note the period) means gpogle does a good job of showing saturation circles.

Just remember that it will not take into account multis, puzzles, whereigos etc.

True, but I'm just thinking about checking locations for ME to hide caches, not so much about trying to squeeze more into a cache-heavy area. There's a small park nearby that I'm hoping to get 3 caches into, so I've got my intersecting circles that show me if I can do it and how limited I am as to hiding areas.

To expand on what Walts Hunting said. There could be physical stages of multis, or finals of mysteries/wherigos, already in that park. Without knowing those locations, you can't be guaranteed that your selected locations in the park are okay for cache placement.

Edited by noncentric

There are several geocaching phone apps that do that. CacheSense and Geosphere, for example. Both my eTrex 30 and 64s will show saturation circles on the map, too. And so will Garmin's BaseCamp. I have used that function a couple times myself when placing a couple caches in a park or along a trail.

None of them will help if there are hidden stages of multis or puzzles nearby, of course. But for just fitting in a couple caches along a trail or in a park, that's a quite useful feature.

I even used that feature on my GPS with a field puzzle where I could figure out the distance but not the heading of a projection. I just set it to display a proximity circle at that distance and then walked the line on the map. Fortunately, it wasn't a large distance. laugh.gif

Just remember that it will not take into account multis, puzzles, whereigos etc.

To expand on what Walts Hunting said. There could be physical stages of multis, or finals of mysteries/wherigos, already in that park. Without knowing those locations, you can't be guaranteed that your selected locations in the park are okay for cache placement.

Actually, I did check on saturation a while back, and the whole park area is clear. I KNOW I can get 2 caches in there, but needed a visual aid to see if I could get a third. So, this is really good for that, especially having the map on satellite view so I can see particular trees, etc.

There are several geocaching phone apps that do that. CacheSense and Geosphere, for example. Both my eTrex 30 and 64s will show saturation circles on the map, too. And so will Garmin's BaseCamp. I have used that function a couple times myself when placing a couple caches in a park or along a trail.

None of them will help if there are hidden stages of multis or puzzles nearby, of course. But for just fitting in a couple caches along a trail or in a park, that's a quite useful feature.

I even used that feature on my GPS with a field puzzle where I could figure out the distance but not the heading of a projection. I just set it to display a proximity circle at that distance and then walked the line on the map. Fortunately, it wasn't a large distance. laugh.gif

Oh, I'm basically a cave person: I just have an old flip phone; it doesn't do any fancy stuff, LOL!