Hiding a Geocache inside a business

Team Abarth

Did you read the guidelines? They contain the following:

Begin quote

Commercial geocaches are disallowed.

Cache listings perceived as commercial will not be published. A commercial cache listing has one or more of the following characteristics:

It has overtones of advertising, marketing or promotion.

It suggests or requires that the finder go inside a business, interact with employees and/or purchase a product or service.

It contains links to businesses, agencies, commercial advertisers, charities, or political or social agendas.

It contains the logo of a business or organization, including non-profit organizations.

It contains the name of a business or commercial product.

End quote

Your post indicates that you have seen a few that are in businesses. If that is the case, you need to understand that a cache published in the past does not establish a precedent. That is, only the current rules apply to your submission and you cannot cite an existing cache as a reason to allow yours. Specific questions should be addressed to your local reviewer, who you can find by looking at a recently published cache in your area.

Edited by GeoTrekker26

Besides getting permission from the business owner (which I've done..he's cool with it), and posting the hours available...are there any other requirements (besides getting the coordinates)? I've seen a few that others have done it. Thanks

Worth reading the Guidelines...

Commercial geocaches are disallowed.

Cache listings perceived as commercial will not be published. A commercial cache listing has one or more of the following characteristics:

It has overtones of advertising, marketing or promotion.

It suggests or requires that the finder go inside a business, interact with employees and/or purchase a product or service.

It contains links to businesses, agencies, commercial advertisers, charities, or political or social agendas.

It contains the logo of a business or organization, including non-profit organizations.

It contains the name of a business or commercial product.

Please be advised that there is no precedent for placing geocaches. This means that the past publication of a similar geocache in and of itself is not a valid justification for the publication of a new geocache.

This has been covered many times. The quote is:

"requires that the finder go inside a business, interact with employees and/or purchase a product or service"

Read my old post about that and then read the rest of that thread.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=335972&st=50&p=5548758&fromsearch=1entry5548758

Ultimately you will end up appealing your cache to Groundspeak. Look, they allow business caches but they have to be something they see as a bonus for promoting geocaching and not for the business.

Of course, this rule is ignored by various reviewers outside of the U.S. Such a cache is(correctly) very unlikely to fly in the U.S., EVEN if the business is a non-profit, but I've certainly run across them elsewhere.

Example: GC4VHWZ. Description says simply "This cache is on private property with the owners consent (see above). It is available during business hours only! Enjoy the area!"

The truth of the matter is that it was necessary to enter the business and ASK someone at the counter to hand over the container.

I've probably run across a dozen of these in my travels.

"requires that the finder go inside a business, interact with employees and/or purchase a product or service"

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=335972&st=50&p=5548758&fromsearch=1entry5548758

Ultimately you will end up appealing your cache to Groundspeak. Look, they allow business caches but they have to be something they see as a bonus for promoting geocaching and not for the business.

Thanks..I read the whole thread...and it sounds like there's a lot of different interpretations, which would lead to a lot of head aches, so best to not bother. Even though there would be no interactions with employee(s) (except for them maybe saying "hello"), and no purchase required. Just thought it would be a good location because it's a nice place with unique decorations, and local art on on the walls (not an art gallery...he just likes to showcase local artists). Plus, there's not a lot of caches in the area. Think the closest one is about a mile away. Thanks.

If the business owner is already open to having a cache placed inside his business, then you might still be able to place a cache outside the business. You could run into trouble if you mention the business itself in the cache description, since it could run afoul of the commercial guidelines.

Not possible...it's in a family neighborhood in the city. If placed outside...good chance of disappearing. The "container" I was going to get was going to match the decor of his place. Wife and I were there the other day...and I looked up, saw a small empty shelf..and thought it would be a good place for a cache was all. The other 3 I want to do should be fine...all outside. 1 I still have to ask the farmer if it would be ok (it's something on his property that made me turn around and go back just to look. He said bikers are always stopping and walking around it...and he's rather proud of it..really nice person). There's other locations I'm thinking of....but they're along where I like to go for a drive, so I need to take a better look next time I cruise these routes.

We've done 2 that you had to go in a building while they were open (not businesses), and one of those you had to go to the "greeter" at the desk who said "you must be geocachers..it's right there" and pointed to a cubby hole in the desk. Read another one that you had to go into a business...and the owner was aware of the cache. So thought it would be fine. When I get time I'll try to read more deeply into the rules of placing a cache...but like the thread I read earlier today about it...It's usually more of a quick scan to get the idea...then go back and read deeper if I have a question. Sorry about that.

Edited by Team Abarth

An important point to remember:

Please be advised that there is no precedent for placing geocaches.

This means that the past publication of a similar geocache in and of itself is not a valid justification for the publication of a new geocache. If a geocache has been published and violates any guidelines listed below, you are encouraged to report it. However, if the geocache was placed prior to the date when a guideline was issued or updated, the geocache is likely to be grandfathered and allowed to stand as is.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

B.

http://forums.Ground...1

Thanks..I read the whole thread...and it sounds like there's a lot of different interpretations, which would lead to a lot of head aches, so best to not bother. Even though there would be no interactions with employee(s) (except for them maybe saying "hello"), and no purchase required. Just thought it would be a good location because it's a nice place with unique decorations, and local art on on the walls (not an art gallery...he just likes to showcase local artists). Plus, there's not a lot of caches in the area. Think the closest one is about a mile away. Thanks.

You create either a multi cache or a puzzle cache that has GZ outside the business. You submit the cache page for review and it will get denied and perhaps the reviewer will even suggest that they can't okay it but appeals might. You explain to reviews how the cacher is going to be told what to pickup once inside, either by solving the puzzle or finding out at GZ. If this item appears to be part of the display to muggles, even maybe camouflaged as an art piece, something that makes it have a "wow" factor, your chance of success goes up.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if appeals allowed it. These type of caches just require the okay directly from Groundspeak. You just have to try.