Issue with event link

-Ruby-

Hi everyone,

Since some days (8), nobody have acces at my event (GC6ANYT) https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f1d3b703-bc6b-4fb4-88a1-daec145ff398. Some of my friends from diferents countries have tried to enter but without succes and I have received some e-mails from other geocachers to prevent-me.

Can anyone help me? But I think it's an issue from the Groundspeak servers.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by -Ruby-

Thank you guys for your help but I tried the things described in the other post and still the same issue.

I can open all the caches from my browser but when I try to open this event/gccode all the other caches are blocked. Other friends have tried and have the same problem with this gc code and the only solution is to clean the cookies, doing it we can open again the other caches but the event remains bloqued.

I tried and it works on my phone. :/

https://www.geocaching.com/hide/report.aspx?guid=f1d3b703-bc6b-4fb4-88a1-daec145ff398

Link above for the edit page on your event. This can be built with the guid, which you supplied.

I can see the edit page, but I'm reluctant to fool with it. Only cache owner will be able to make use of this link.

If this listing were mine, I'd kill ALL the html, and have plain text.

We are some people of the organisation team of GeoNord 2016 Mega Event and we are spending some days in the area to attend the Hoorn Cache Mega Event and we want to meet some local or international geocachers. It's a good time to meet other geocachers and share some geocaching adventures or to share where are the most amazing places, but most of all, to taste some good chese or beers!

From 8:00 p.m to 9:00 p.m (AT NIGHT AFTER THE HOORNS MEGA EVENT)

See if making that change works. If it does, great. If not, then staff will have to intervene.

I note some html that I've never seen before, what's a "widow"? "widows:1"

Edited by palmetto

Thanks palmetto for your reply, I erased the html and it still the same thing, It's impossible to have access at the cache listing...

So at this time I tried:

Delete cookies (specifically the ASP.net_SessionId cookie)

Delete the HTML Code

Anyone have another idea? :)

If I look at the logs (in our pocketquery), it looks like the most recent one is not correct html/bbcode/markdown

12/02/16 door jobêr (3)</b><br>
Will make a try to attend this event as well. The GeoNord is quite far from 
my home, and it for now seems like I will not be free for the date  of the 
Mega unfortunatelly. <jpwever it="" would="" be="" nice="" to="" meet="" 
with="" you="" organizeras="" anyhow="" and="" discuss="" some="" ideas="" 
for="" future="" megas.<p="">

As you can see there is an unclosed tag that starts with '<jpwever'

I would not be surprised if the internal Markdown code goes in a loop on this incorrect log.

If you delete the log (and send jobêr a nice email, that it is a test) is the cachepage than visible ?

Edited by Kalkendotters

If I look at the logs (in our pocketquery), it looks like the most recent one is not correct html/bbcode/markdown

I would not be surprised if the internal Markdown code goes in a loop on this incorrect log.

If you delete the log (and send jobêr a nice email, that it is a test) is the cachepage than visible ?

I don't know how delete his log without have access to the event page, any idea?

I don't know how delete his log without have access to the event page, any idea?

Perhaps someone can provide you with the uid of the log.

It would be funny however if now one can make the site collapse too and not only Garmin GPS-receivers by some types of not closed html tags - not a sign for robust software design.

Edited by cezanne

I've tried looking at this listing with several browsers, downloaders, and OSs and keep getting the same problem described above. However looking at the listing on the staging site ( https://staging.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6ANYT_meet-greet-the-geonord-orgateam ) it looks OK, and the latest log on there is from February 4th, which suggests perhaps something on the page since Feb 4th might be causing the issue - which fits in with what -Ruby- suspects.

I think the coders at Groundspeak HQ need to get onto this very quickly, as if it's possible to break a page by posting a malformed log then it would open the site up to a massive DOS attack.

Well if so that would vindicate most of my deleted posts. Hopefully when it is resolved they will say what the error was. I would also add that trying to detect html in the middle of markdown both of which may or not be in that format is doomed to a watery grave.

Edited by lodgebarn

Link to the log:

http://coord.info/glm1f3kw that redirects to:

https://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=c4e6b80f-6f6b-47aa-a065-b8d551e51544

This however gives a system error:

System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added. at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource) 
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add) 
at MarkdownDeep.HtmlTag.ParseHelper(StringScanner p) 
at MarkdownDeep.HtmlTag.Parse(StringScanner p) 
at MarkdownDeep.SpanFormatter.Tokenize(String str, Int32 start, Int32 len) 
at MarkdownDeep.SpanFormatter.FormatParagraph(StringBuilder dest, String str, Int32 start, Int32 len) 
at MarkdownDeep.Block.Render(Markdown m, StringBuilder 
at MarkdownDeep.Markdown.Transform(String str, Dictionary`2& definitions) 
at Tucson.Common.HtmlFilter.MarkDown(String text) 
at Geocaching.UI.LogBookPanel.ShowLogEntry(String logDescription, Boolean isEncoded) 
at Geocaching.UI.LogBookPanel.ShowViewLogInfo(List`1 newSouvenirs, LogResult favPointsLogResult, ViewLogState viewFrom) 
at Geocaching.UI.LogBookPanel.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Which explains why the cachepage does not open ...

I see the logtext was mangled in my previous reply; it should be:

Will make a try to attend this event as well. The GeoNord is quite far 
from my home, and it for now seems like I will not be free for the date  
of the Mega unfortunatelly. <jpwever it would be nice to meet to meet 
with you organizeras anyhow and discuss some ideas for future megas.

So there is only one opening html bracket: <

Edited by Kalkendotters

Yep, that's the culprit. I just posted that log to a cache page on the staging site and it broke the listing in exactly the manner described above.

This is potentially horrendous so hopefully it will be fixed quickly.

Edited by MartyBartfast

This is potentially horrendou so hopefully it will be fixed quickly.

I wonder however how they will do it in a meaningful way without creating new issues.

The < and > signs are also needed as greater and larger signs (math symbols).

It's also strange that one types text like <jk the site suggests that one use htlm or bbc and offers a link to the conversion tool.

Once again it shows that it is nonsense to interpret/parse plain text as anything else than plain text. It appears that the problem log never was intended to contain html but it is just a typo - something like however was probably intended.

Edited by cezanne

Link to the log:

http://coord.info/glm1f3kw that redirects to:

https://www.geocachi...65-b8d551e51544

This however gives a system error:

System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added. at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource) 
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add) 
at MarkdownDeep.HtmlTag.ParseHelper(StringScanner p) 
at MarkdownDeep.HtmlTag.Parse(StringScanner p) 
at MarkdownDeep.SpanFormatter.Tokenize(String str, Int32 start, Int32 len) 
at MarkdownDeep.SpanFormatter.FormatParagraph(StringBuilder dest, String str, Int32 start, Int32 len) 
at MarkdownDeep.Block.Render(Markdown m, StringBuilder 
at MarkdownDeep.Markdown.Transform(String str, Dictionary`2& definitions) 
at Tucson.Common.HtmlFilter.MarkDown(String text) 
at Geocaching.UI.LogBookPanel.ShowLogEntry(String logDescription, Boolean isEncoded) 
at Geocaching.UI.LogBookPanel.ShowViewLogInfo(List`1 newSouvenirs, LogResult favPointsLogResult, ViewLogState viewFrom) 
at Geocaching.UI.LogBookPanel.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Which explains why the cachepage does not open ...

Nice detective work. With the URL of the log I wonder if the CO can use that link and see if it renders the Trashcan icon to delete the log.

BTW, how were you able to determine the GL id for the log?

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

One hour ago I decided to contact the support of Groundspeak and I received this message from HQ:

Thank you for writing in to us. Our developers believe they have discovered what the issue with your geocache pages not loading is, and they plan to release a fix for this later today or tomorrow. Thank you for your patience in the meantime!

Anyway, thank you guys for your answers to try to solve this issue. :)

This is potentially horrendou so hopefully it will be fixed quickly.

I wonder however how they will do it in a meaningful way without creating new issues.

The < and > signs are also needed as greater and larger signs (math symbols).

I experimented with my unpublished "dummy" cache listing, which I sometimes use to test things. A log with "<1 km" in it, where the "<" is a proper "less than" was ok. But the log "bla bla bla <bla bla bla" killed the listing in the manner described here. I can no longer open the listing, and I cannot delete the log, because only the server error message shows but no "trash can" etc. icons. Interestingly, the email with the log notification contained only the log text "bla bla bla" (cutting off the < and everything behind it).

So this is indeed a very serious issue.

It would be funny however if now one can make the site collapse too and not only Garmin GPS-receivers by some types of not closed html tags - not a sign for robust software design.

But using Markdown instead of BBcode prevents that kind of problem! Because "increase site security and promote cross-platform compatibility", you know.

:ph34r:

Looks like in the process of turfing out a mature, supported rendering engine, the Frog is inventing new vulnerabilities from scratch. :sad:

FYI, it only occurs if a particular word is duplicated following the < bracket.

That's not true - or do you mean any duplication of a text string and not a particular word.

One cannot even write

"The value of b has to be <a a mistake, I guess."

I had a log like

Test is <a a hallo

and it also kills the system and if one displays the log, an error message shows up (tested on the staging site - I did not want to destroy one of my caches).

But using Markdown instead of BBcode prevents that kind of problem! Because "increase site security and promote cross-platform compatibility", you know.

As html and bb code are still allowed on Waymarking and I do not expect that to change, I do not buy the security argument is the main motivation anyway.

I have never used colors and this sort of stuff, but somehow it now feels tempting to add things like [red] on purpose to my new logs.

My logs are not intended to be read out in the field anyway and so I do not care the least about cross platform compatibility which would anyway be achieved plain text is interpreted as plain text. If GS deprives us from the ability to write plain text without getting something different than what we write and we end up all the time with the message that our logs apparently contain html though they don't, it gets really frustrating.

or do you mean any duplication of a text string and not a particular word.
Seems so. In my own test, the repeated word was "bla". I guess that the error occurs, if the text after the "<" has at least one word which occurs twice. E.g., in the original example with "<jpwever it would be nice to meet to meet with you organizeras anyhow and discuss some ideas for future megas", it was the word "to".

Anyway, if the fix is already there and just waiting for roll-out, that's fine for me.

Anyway, if the fix is already there and just waiting for roll-out, that's fine for me.

To be honest, the attempt to do anything when there are < signs in a log seems very dangerous per se to me regardless of whether they will fix this particular issue. As my example shows even sequences of a single symbol/letter are dangerous and that will never be avoidable without creating other side effects like deleting/changing text parts that should not be deleted/changing. Most of these problems come from assuming that something which has been written as plain text is html/Markdown/bb code.

Edited by cezanne

Most of these problems come from assuming that something which has been written as plain text is html/Markdown/bb code.

THIS. Please, Groundspeak, Stop Doing This.

By all means, allow Markdown -- but only if the author of the content has designated it as such. Otherwise -- it's plain text.

Most of these problems come from assuming that something which has been written as plain text is html/Markdown/bb code.

THIS. Please, Groundspeak, Stop Doing This.

By all means, allow Markdown -- but only if the author of the content has designated it as such. Otherwise -- it's plain text.

Yes yes a thousand time yes, you just cannot make reliable assumptions, there will always be exceptions. You have to have a MD checkbox or there will be problems forever.

you just cannot make reliable assumptions, there will always be exceptions.

I agree. It also seems to me that most of who are busy with the coding stuff, do not have a rich experience with what can appear in logs.

For a puzzle cache about an esoteric programming language, I often have come across logs using the same language.

I guess that brainf*** codes (just an example) and similar things will certainly cause an issue to whichever parser is used.

Things like <!-- can be html tags not properly closed (sometimes on purpose) but they also could be text strings that should appear just as that.

Note added: The fact that the name of the programming language cannot be spelt out is also a good example that simple filtering rules will never produce a satisfactory result.

Edited by cezanne