Cache Adoption

Ry Dawg

I just adopted a cache. An inactive user signed in, archived his missing, and appears adopted out the active ones to different locals. One of them was me. I have his cache, the one I adopted, 4 years ago.

Do I now have a "find" on my own cache?

Should I go through and delete it if I do?

What is considered "best form" for this?

Thank you!

It's perfectly fine to have a Find log on a cache you later adopt. When you found it, it wasn't your cache and you legitimately searched for it. No need to delete your find after adopting it. I have several caches that I've adopted over the years after finding them long before - including GCD, the oldest cache in Washington State. I definitely have not deleted my Find logs on those. :grin: So yes, I have finds on a few caches that I now own.

Edited by hydnsek

I think I'm confused on who owned what and when.

I know other folks who have logged finds on caches and then end up adopting the cache, meaning they now have a find on their own cache. If that's the situation, I think that's fine to keep your old "found it" log.

I have a few that I have adopted and they show as found. Not a problem. And if you think about it the most likely person to adopt a cache is one who as already found it.

Agreed. I can't imagine adopting a cache if I had not previously found it. If I haven't found the cache myself how would I know if it's a cache worth adopting.

I have a few that I have adopted and they show as found. Not a problem. And if you think about it the most likely person to adopt a cache is one who as already found it.

Agreed. I can't imagine adopting a cache if I had not previously found it. If I haven't found the cache myself how would I know if it's a cache worth adopting.

Well, I've actually done that - adopt a cache I hadn't previously found. It was one of two that I adopted in an area I'd already placed a cache. One I'd found, the other I'd DNFed. So after I adopted it I went back out to search. I figured if I couldn't find it, I'd put another cache out in the area I thought it should be. Well, I hunted and hunted and couldn't find it so I started looking for a good spot to hide one near the coordinates. Found a great spot - and the cache! I updated the coordinates slightly and left the cache as it was. I never did log that one as found, though.

I'm not too fussed over having a cache I own as being in my "found" list.

I don't think many people would be concerned. It's part of the cache's history, no? One can look at the cache page, and see that the current owner found the cache previous to the adoption.

B.

Me either. I logged one of my own caches 189 times once. But that was a numbers adjustment after "temp caches" thankfully went by the wayside.