Religious Logs

Kata_Tjuta

Nothing. Well, you could delete it I suppose, but I'm not sure you would get any support from HQ.

And, besides, what/who is it hurting?

I would not want to support religion, this is my personal preference. I would ask that the log be edited before taking any other action, but what other options do I have. If there is nothing that can be done then so be it.

I am visiting the southern US and I am surprised at how many logs I see that end with a quote from the bible. I am aware that a cache listing cannot promote a religious agenda (or other agenda) but what can a cache owner do about people putting this stuff in their logs?

Leave quotes from Richard Dawkins. Example:

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."

Edited by L0ne.R

I am visiting the southern US and I am surprised at how many logs I see that end with a quote from the bible. I am aware that a cache listing cannot promote a religious agenda (or other agenda) but what can a cache owner do about people putting this stuff in their logs?

The hypothetical CO can show more tolerance, accept that every person is different and allowed to hold their own personal beliefs, and not promote bigotry of any sort.

Edited by J Grouchy

Well I wonder why the CO's only permit quotes from the bible. Are they deleting the logs with quotes from the Torah or the Koran? Perhaps you should wonder why the CO does not permit religious freedom.

Did I miss something? I understood that cachers leave quotes from the bible at the end of their logs, not that the COs request quotes from the bible or forbid quotes from other religious sources.

I find this pretty harmless. Some cachers around here have quotes from hardrock songs, movies or whatever at the end of their logs. Why not quotes from the bible? If a certain quote is important to someone, why not putting it at the end of a log? I never would interpret this as religious propaganda or an agenda.

Edited by cezanne

If I read this correctly they are not logs on your listings, but logs on caches in Texas you encountered while visiting from Canada? <_<

You're surprised? In the Bible Belt? Really? What would surprise me is NOT finding the occasional pocket bible left as swag in many ammo can caches south of the Mason-Dixon line. :rolleyes:

You're surprised? In the Bible Belt? Really? What would surprise me is NOT finding the occasional pocket bible left as swag in many ammo can caches south of the Mason-Dixon line. :rolleyes:

I never have.

Actually, come to think of it, I can't say I've ever even seen a bible verse in an online log.

• Surprised 1

I never have.

Actually, come to think of it, I can't say I've ever even seen a bible verse in an online log.

Hmm. Interesting. I'm married to a southern gal, but we don't live in the SE. We visit her family in NC regularly, so I know the southern culture very well. I've yet to do any geocaching when we visit, but I would have thought that would be an almost common thing knowing the southern rural culture. That was an assumption on my part. Guess it's not as common as I would have thought.

If I read this correctly they are not logs on your listings, but logs on caches in Texas you encountered while visiting from Canada? <_<

Their profile lists their location as "Rockwood, TX", so I find it surprising that they wouldn't already be aware of the Bible Belt. Isn't Texas in it? I live in Canada and wouldn't be at all surprised to encounter Bible quotations in the southern US. Isn't it effectively a stereotype that those in the southern US are "Bible thumpers"?

Anyway, as long as the Bible quotes aren't derogatory or inflammatory, I don't see a problem and would treat them the same as any other type of quote someone may use.

Note: No offense is intended by my post. If I inadvertently said something offensive, I apologize in advance and plead ignorance as someone who isn't overly familiar with the people of the southern US.

Log Entries are generally governed by the Terms of Use, while Listings must comply with both the ToU and the Giudelines. There is some overlap between the two, but not always.

I live in Canada and wouldn't be at all surprised to encounter Bible quotations in the southern US. Isn't it effectively a stereotype that those in the southern US are "Bible thumpers"?

So you start off by stereotyping, then follow that up by calling out others for stereotyping?

Hmmm...

Honestly, I know it's en vogue to classify everyone in the south a certain way, but I don't think I'd assume all Canadian logs end in "eh?". :ph34r:

I live in Canada and wouldn't be at all surprised to encounter Bible quotations in the southern US. Isn't it effectively a stereotype that those in the southern US are "Bible thumpers"?

Honestly, I know it's en vogue to classify everyone in the south a certain way, but I don't think I'd assume all Canadian logs end in "eh?". :ph34r:

Point taken. Stereotypes generally contain a grain of truth, but I agree that they're rarely if ever valid for describing an entire population.

Edit to add: As a case-in-point, I rarely if ever use "eh". :laughing:

So you start off by stereotyping, then follow that up by calling out others for stereotyping?

To be clear, I guess I was using a stereotype, then asking "isn't this a stereotype?" At no point did I intend to "call out" anyone.

Edited by The A-Team

I am visiting the southern US and I am surprised at how many logs I see that end with a quote from the bible. I am aware that a cache listing cannot promote a religious agenda (or other agenda) but what can a cache owner do about people putting this stuff in their logs?]

Are Southern cache owners complaining about religious quotes in logs?

We visit relatives in the South (NC & TN), yet haven't heard that one yet...

The rare times I found something odd (to me) in a log on one of my caches, I simply didn't finish it. :)

If I read this correctly they are not logs on your listings, but logs on caches in Texas you encountered while visiting from Canada? dry.gif

Kata_Tjuta is Ted Cruz? :huh:

I am visiting the southern US and I am surprised at how many logs I see that end with a quote from the bible. I am aware that a cache listing cannot promote a religious agenda (or other agenda) but what can a cache owner do about people putting this stuff in their logs?]

Are Southern cache owners complaining about religious quotes in logs?

We visit relatives in the South (NC & TN), yet haven't heard that one yet...

The rare times I found something odd (to me) in a log on one of my caches, I simply didn't finish it. :)

I've never read the bible nor do I know passages and/or phrases...but isn't there something like "if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out"?

:ph34r:

I would not want to support religion, this is my personal preference. I would ask that the log be edited before taking any other action, but what other options do I have. If there is nothing that can be done then so be it.

There's difference between not supporting religion and suppressing religion. You're reacting like that county clerk that refused to give out marriage licenses: she claimed to be supporting her religion, but the actual effect was to suppress everyone else's freedoms in the name of her religion.

Point taken. Stereotypes generally contain a grain of truth, but I agree that they're rarely if ever valid for describing an entire population.

But how many end in "A-Team"?

I know that there isn't a guideline for it, but personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the "no agendas" extended to cache logs.

I know that there isn't a guideline for it, but personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the "no agendas" extended to cache logs.

Should properly be extended to swag. Then I would not be allowed to leave religious tracts when trading for condoms and would not be able to trade planned parenthood brochures for religious tracts.

• Funny 1

LOL, they are not going to edit their log and remove a religious quote. If you don't like it, all you can do is delete it.

Should properly be extended to swag. Then I would not be allowed to leave religious tracts when trading for condoms and would not be able to trade planned parenthood brochures for religious tracts.

Let's all just log TFTC, and take the condoms. :anibad:

• Funny 1

LOL, they are not going to edit their log and remove a religious quote. If you don't like it, all you can do is delete it.

... and if the geocacher signed the logbook and didn't include any text in their log that violates the website terms of use, Geocaching HQ would likely reinstate the log if requested. So deleting the log may prove counterproductive. See this Help Center article for more about log deletion.

There's difference between not supporting religion and suppressing religion. You're reacting like that county clerk that refused to give out marriage licenses: she claimed to be supporting her religion, but the actual effect was to suppress everyone else's freedoms in the name of her religion.

AAAAAAAAAAAmen!!

As for religious online logs, I can get into trouble if I view those logs in some countries without knowing whats on those logs or player profile

Even having logs with religious quotes on your GPS can land you in hot water in some countries if you get caught with them.

I would like it if GS ban all type of religious quotes on their site (logs and profile)

I am not done here... About travel bug and Travel Coins... its the same thing when viewing those pages via online. Or those religious add on to travel bug are questionable in some countries. I took a travel bug with a cross with it and its ok in Hong Kong, but taking that into China wont be OK. What I am saying here is this, be careful of what those travel bug or travel coin is all about.

To wrap this up, since geocaching is a world wide game and its best if GS dont allow any form of religious. Can GS get into trouble? I dont know, I am not a lawyer but I am sure they can in some ways. Their site will be blocked for sure.

Even having logs with religious quotes on your GPS can land you in hot water in some countries if you get caught with them.

I would like it if GS ban all type of religious quotes on their site (logs and profile)

What about your username? Aren't some religions offended by swine?

What about your rebel pic? Isnt that racist? :ph34r:

What about your rebel pic? Isnt that racist? :ph34r:

Not at all. It's a historic American flag.

Personally I find it very offensive and it does not represent America to me, historic or not.

Maybe you should stay on topic and not join in on the personal attacks on me.

You went off topic and I stated a personal opinion. Deal with it.

To be fair, the direct personal references started with you:

I think that it is the eating of the swine with which some religions have issues; living airborne pigs are probably ok.

Meanwhile, here's another flag:

150px-Flag_of_German_Reich_%281935%E2%80%931945%29.svg.png

Does the fact that it is an historic German flag make it ok to use?

Meanwhile, on topic, if they were to try to limit religious log entries, does that mean I could not write "Han shot first" in a log because of its controversial nature in regards to revisionism of the history of the Jedi?

If you don't like it, all you can do is delete it.
... and if the geocacher signed the logbook and didn't include any text in their log that violates the website terms of use, Geocaching HQ would likely reinstate the log if requested. So deleting the log may prove counterproductive. See this Help Center article for more about log deletion.
Yep. If the reference violates the prohibitions in the site's terms of use against "any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing", etc., etc., etc., then the CO might have a case for deleting the log.

Otherwise, not so much.

Personally I find it very offensive and it does not represent America to me, historic or not.

Maybe you should stay on topic and not join in on the personal attacks on me.

You went off topic and I stated a personal opinion. Deal with it.

No, I stayed on topic that some religions were offended by swine.

Let a moderator deal with it.

I think that it is the eating of the swine with which some religions have issues; living airborne pigs are probably ok.

Meanwhile, on topic, if they were to try to limit religious log entries, does that mean I could not write "Han shot first" in a log because of its controversial nature in regards to revisionism of the history of the Jedi?

Isn't that a religious symbol you just posted?

I think it would depend on the context of how you are using it. I interpret MP's use of the flag in his avatar as a symbol of history and pride, and not intended as an insult or a form of harassment.

You are exactly correct. I enjoy local history and several of my geocaches and Waymarks are based on history and placed in historic locations.

I had a new one published near a Confederate and Union Cemetery in Cranks, Kentucky last week. I am also a historic writer and record history.

My avatar is our personal PathTag designed by my kids, it's a possum with a Confederate hat and a geocaching symbol on it's arm, holding a GPS unit upside down. It is in no way intended to be offensive. :(

If it's 'spinning' in the other direction and not slanted, then yes - it is a religious symbol. Buddhism, for those that are not aware.

If it's 'spinning' in the other direction and not slanted, then yes - it is a religious symbol. Buddhism, for those that are not aware.

I know this is off topic... I been in a Buddhism temple in Hong Kong due to a virtual cache. And I spin that circle thing (I think it was a prayer wheel) that you are talking about.

To roll this back on topic, I hope, I am not against religion or offended by them...however, for legal reasons, I question religion quotes on my GPS or computer when I am visiting in another country thats against religion freedom.

Ignore it and move on to more important things in life.

Ignore it and move on to more important things in life.

Ignoring it doesn't solve the problem.

How would you feel if someone start putting "offended" Koran or Satanic Bible quotes on cache logs and etc? I am very sure there will be a big up roar about about. Something to think about.