Anyone interested in a Northern VA geocache gathering?

bigcall

Seems there are quite a few geocachers in the NVA area but while there may have been get togethers in the past, there have not been any in the past 7 months that we have been geocaching.

We have attended a couple of great events hosted by the MD Geocaching Society (www.mdgps.net) and thought it would be nice to have something a little closer to home. (I'm definitely not trying to set up any rivalries here).

I have seen some events posted elsewhere and thought this could be as simple as getting together at some pre-defined spot (Park, Restaraunt, etc.), trading some stories and then going out for a quick, nearby cache or two.

For the first time, I thought simpler would be better. Figured it would be best to see what kind of interest there was and solicit other ideas before moving forward. Also anyone who may have attended a similar event in the past may have some great ideas to relate from those experinces as well.

So, just post any thoughts and ideas and maybe, just maybe we can get something off the ground in the next couple of months.

Thanks.

-Bigcall icon_smile.gif

Way back in the days when the grass was still green

and the pond was still wet

and the clouds were still clean,

and the song of the Swomee-Swans rang out in space...

one morning, I came to this glorious place.

It looks like there were a few events a year or so ago. See http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=4986 and http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=5726

I was thinking something similar to these. Meet for breakfast - (I see that the Old Country Buffet on the corner of Pickett and Little River Turnpike was one of the locations - repeat?) and then head out for a couple of caches. I was thinking that the Fairfax Cross County Trail which you already have a cache on would be a nice stroll. We could hide a few caches (temporary most likely) along the way and go from there.

Since finding TD:Practice, Practice, Practice was my first time on that portion of the trail, I wasn't sure how busy it is. Any recommendations?

As far as a date, I was thinking about a Saturday morning around 8:30 or 9:00am either the 7th or 14th of Sep. Nothing firm at this point.

Any ideas from anyone else? icon_smile.gif

Excellent plan! I've never gone on an organized geocache outing - though I have dragged unsuspecting friends along - and would be interested in meeting fellow geocachers.

Is there any interest in this area in benchmarking (if that's the term) as well as conventional geocaching? I have found it particularly interesting and I wonder if others have, too?

I have not done much benchmark hunting, so I'm not sure how that would fit in. I ran a search in the area http://www.geocaching.com/mark/nearest.asp?origin_lat=38.8617&origin_long=-77.2714 and it looks like there are plenty in the vicinity. If you or anyone else has more experience with benchmarks it might make a good topic of discussion at the get together.

Sounds like there is at least some interest.

I will try to do some scouting out of the area and other possible meeting places. The next step will be to post an event cache which I'm sure will draw in other area geocachers who may not frequent the forums.

Any other thoughts and comments are welcomed!

A quick get-together sometime would be fun. Let's do it. A Saturday lunch at some deli or something?

I do like benchmark hunting. I see that Art-Man and I are doing benchmarks in about the same area. Quite a different situation from regular geocaching. Instead of a secluded pretty park locale, a benchmark is usually in a public and sometimes less than beautiful place. However, the general hunt is the same - dealing with the GPS, satellites, and wondering how difficult the find will actually be. In many ways, benchmark hunting is more challenging. No one's been looking for it for perhaps several years. Some are gone. Others are not near the stated position. You wander drunkenly in a public place! icon_smile.gif But, there are many more benchmarks than geocaches, so there's plenty of things to hunt for with the GPS.

Sounds like benchmarking might be an added attraction to the meeting.

To help get this off the ground we really need to figure out a place to meet. No real preferences here, but I think it should be someplace that can accommodate a larger group. Any suggestions or further preferences?

I contacted the Old Country Buffet in Fairfax since it appears a couple of previous events were held there. They have a private room available that can hold 70+ (more than I think we need). They have the usual assortment of breakfast items @ ~$7. As I mentioned before I'm not set on this place but since I'm usually not looking to find large capacity dining areas it would work in lieu of something else.

Saturday seems to work the best for most folks, only question is which one? With a month leadtime how about the 14th of Sep?

Once these details are nailed down we can work out the rest (caches to hide, benchmarks to hunt, etc) in the interim.

Standing by....

This Georgia boy is gonna be in NoVa during that time and would love to drop in and chat, share views, etc.

Anyone one got the coords? I think I can find it on the map, but GPSing to it is so much more fun!

-----------

"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything." - Mark Twain

But believe it's located at N38 50.667 W077 16.525. The address is 9650 Main St. in Fairfax VA, here's a link: http://www.buffet.com/html/us/va/142Fairfax.html

Da Rebel - The more cachers the merrier!

I'll post an event cache in the next day or so and hope we get some more responses once it's a bit more visible.

Snickers,

Standing by for the word.

Looks like we are up to 8 and a couple of tentatives. I'm sure there are a few more out there.

McMasterC,

Sorry to hear we are losing you. Looks like there's a lot of new geocaching opportunities in Austin though. Good Luck.

This reminds me that we need a special geocaching farewell saying - something in the vein of "May the road rise to meet you" or "Fair winds and following seas".

How about "Clear skies and keen eyes"?

...but I've lived in Fairfax County my whole life and for some reason have never heard of this "cross county" trail you mentioned (you learn something new everyday). Where exactly is it?

Some possible other ideas for future cache hunts

1. Great Falls area (lots of trails)

2. Fountainhead/Bull Run area (lots of trails there too)

3. Mason Neck Area (although it is a wildlife preserve and I'm not sure you're allowed to venture off the beaten path out there).

Anyway, I *might* be available for such a meeting on the 14th (if my wife lets me go icon_smile.gif

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/800x600/SIGcov.jpg

Here's a good starting point:

http://www.fairfaxtrails.org/

As noted before there may be better areas. With a few along the Occoquan/Bull Run trail already this may be a better spot? It's a little further away but probably much less crowded.

Anyone else have comments?

quote:
Originally posted by bigcall:

Here's a good starting point:

http://www.fairfaxtrails.org/

Oh, wow. I've been on various sections of those trails over the years. But I never knew they were linked together as one big trail. Neat. I wonder, out near Dulles, if that W&O trail would make for a good spot? I've only been out there once and from what I remember it's a paved biking/hiking trail. Are there any parts of it that are unpaved (more primitive)?

Thanks for the link!

I just posted an update on the event cache. A few things added:

Changed the coordinates slightly, but the old ones will work just fine also.

The time is now confirmed at 9:00am. I have set it up for 35 for now, but can expand as required.

Just posted a couple of caches for approval with a few more to follow.

Look for NOVA 1, 2, 3, and 4 in the next few days. I won't actually place the caches until the day before, but you can scope them out in advance. Those who find all 4 will be able to piece together the coordinates for another mystery cache (see the caches for more details). I'll bring extra sheets to the breakfast also.

Anyone else is welcome to add a cache or two to add to the fun.

The planning wasn't all that difficult since it was essentially a no host type of event. I was thinking of having them on a quarterly basis or so and revolving the location around the counties. So maybe the next one could be out towards Manassas or Leesburg? I was thinking (based on some good suggestions) about using the Bull Run-Occoquan Trail as the cache corridor if Manassas is the next spot.

Any volunteers out in that direction that know of a good gathering location?

I will certainly be glad to help do some of the planning and cache hiding, but if we want to hold the event prior to the colder weather and holidays moving in then mid-November sounds about right. With 3-4 weeks heads up we probably ought to put something together in the next couple of weeks.

Anyone else interested?