Programmable Keyboards

T0SHEA

It all started with my first computer. I purchased a Gateway with optional programmable keyboard. Did not really understand exactly what that meant, at the time, but decided it may come in handy.

Yesterday I purchased my fourth programmable keyboard, a Logitech G510S. This model is being discontinued and may very well be the last that has 54 separate function keys.

This replaced my fried Logitech G11 which has given me excellent results until I replaced my computer and everything went haywire. Limped along for months until a few days ago it just stopped working, it was about 8 or 9 years old. So they do last.

The programmable keyboard is used primarily for “Gamers”, however as a waymarker it makes posting so much easier.

I just program a key with what I am using most at the time, and this can be changed to something else later.

Example: Right now I am working in (I hit G15) and , New Brunswick is typed in.

If I am using HTML all I have to do is hit the key that is programmed with: <b> <p> <br>

Or a more familiar one: (G7) Thanks for the waymark. Or (G8) Thanks for playing.

So if you do not use a programmable keyboard, investigate, consider and go for it, you will not regret it. I cannot even imagine Waymarking without it.

Do you use a programmable keyboard?

Edited by BK-Hunters

Good idea. The first PC I had was a bring-home-from-work, and it had a Gateway programmable keyboard. That was really neat. Used to program in my login and password and a bunch of other things. It was an old PS2, so I think I brought it back into work when everything went USB. (It didn't have a converter.)

I've thought about it several times over the years of Waymarking (and other hobbies, for that matter). But I never got around to looking to see if there was some brand of keyboard that still did that. Guess I've been too lazy to be lazy! :P

Think I'll check that out.