retrieved tags from caches and they can't be tracked

Pinkprophet

You've found TBs before, so you should know if it is one...

On a travel bug set, one tag will say, "Do not keep me I am a Travel Bug" , meant for future finders to (hopefully) realize it's meant to move along.

The copy tag says, "Keep me I am a Copy Tag".

I find that often confuses new folks when that copy's sent out to replace the original that goes missing.

- And if "Don't keep me..." didn't work, how is "Keep me" gonna help. :laughing:

- Both have a code trackable on Geocaching.com

Could it be a B instead of an 8, O (oh) instead of zero, that kinda thing?

On the back of one that is still in package, it says "Yours to keep".

As the hound of Hades mentioned, TBs may come in a pack of two tags, one of which is for the owner to keep, and that copy tag is inscribed "Keep Me". The one inscribed "Do Not Keep me" is the one best suited for travel.

If the tags are still new in the original package, the person who placed the package likely did not activate it. Lots of people don't seem to know what to do upon purchase of a Trackable, as it applies to tracking it in Geocaches.

You could make a log note on the cache where you found it, "Found an unactivated Travel bug", and see if the person who placed it contacts you. Or you may figure out who placed it, based on the logs and ask if that person intended to activate it. I know nobody who would go to that much trouble, except me. :ph34r:

If at least you trade fairly, you may activate it and place the "Do Not Keep Me" tag, typically having it attached to some item. Or keep it unactivated. An unacivated gift Trackable is desirable and valuable (when delivered to a cache for you? That's worth something). I'd prefer when this occurs that the person who places it adds something to the pack about "This is swag for a cache finder", so there's no confusion. But an unactivated Trackable is generally considered Swag.

If you take a "gift" Trackable, thank the people who placed it. If you can't figure out who placed it, log sometning like "Thanks for the free TB!". I've occasionally placed surprise gift Geocoins (with info about the gift), and they vanished without a trace. That's cool and all, but it discourages more such "gifts". I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin. B)

Edited by kunarion
"Yours to keep"

Good catch! If a cache item is inscribed "Yours to keep", that's different than the way an Official Trackable works.

We don't need to be specific, although there are tons of things found in caches that are not trackable on Geocaching.com. Look at the tag closely, and if it has "log at xxxx.com" (whatever .com it is), that's where you log it. If it is not "Groundspeak.com" nor "geocaching.com", you have more research to do. Even an Official Trackable Geocoin may have no URL info. But the tags that you track elsewhere almost always have info. Discussion about off-site commercial items must be conducted on those other sites.

Some cachers place items they made, and ask for an email, there's not really a "tracking" site for them (I have a couple of series like that).

Edited by kunarion