GPS Searchable County Overlay Maps

D&CsBooty

I'm doing a state (KY) county challenge and I'm looking through my old caches to see if any qualify. Some are straight forward, but others could be 1 of 3 counties. Is there a map, like Google Maps where you can enter the coordinates & see the county? I've used this map: http://kentucky.hometownlocator.com/maps/ but it seems to be giving me the same location for several caches, so that's not right... I've also tried to use the tiny map on the cache page, but I can not seem to clearly see the county boundary :(

Thanks in advance for any help, much appreciated.

~Cindy

Many of the Leaflet street maps show counties. I usually use the World Topo Map, which at certain zoom levels will display county boundaries with dotted lines and display the county names.

You can also use the Google Map macro through GSAK, which has the option to display county and other boundaries.

GSAK also has challenge macros that can break down qualifying county maps. So does project-gc.com.

I once made the suggestion that it would be nice if cache listing could show both county and Delorme map sections. As found caches always get placed in the county/map section in your results, I figured it should be easy to do. I'll never know, as the feedback on that suggestion was negative, for the most part.

I once made the suggestion that it would be nice if cache listing could show both county and Delorme map sections. As found caches always get placed in the county/map section in your results, I figured it should be easy to do. I'll never know, as the feedback on that suggestion was negative, for the most part.

The only problem is that the Delorme pages can and will change. Wisconsin is a good example, as the order of the pages was even reversed. The 9th edition started in the south and then the 10th edition started with the northern states first.

You can also use the Google Map macro through GSAK, which has the option to display county and other boundaries.

GSAK also has challenge macros that can break down qualifying county maps. So does project-gc.com.

:blink: Sorry, but what is GSAK and what are the steps to using it as you've indicated?

Edited by D&CsBooty

You could use MyGeocachingProfile.com to create a map of all of the counties that you have finds in. The is normally accepted by CO's. There are also some GSAK macros that will help you also.

:blink: How exactly would I do that? Sorry ;)

Just go to the web address listed above. The instructions there are pretty clear. First thing you need to do is create a PQ of your finds.

You could use MyGeocachingProfile.com to create a map of all of the counties that you have finds in. The is normally accepted by CO's. There are also some GSAK macros that will help you also.

:blink: How exactly would I do that? Sorry ;)

Just go to the web address listed above. The instructions there are pretty clear. First thing you need to do is create a PQ of your finds.

OK- You're right it does seem pretty straight forward & I do already have a PQ of my finds. This does however bring me to another issue... My PQ seems to be missing about 20 caches. The only qualifier that I have on the PQ is "that I've found"... Solve one issue then find another :unsure:

Edited by D&CsBooty
This does however bring me to another issue... My PQ seems to be missing about 20 caches. The only qualifier that I have on the PQ is "that I've found"... Solve one issue then find another :unsure:

You're missing archived caches. Don't create a regular PQ. Rather, go to the Pocket Query list, scroll to the bottom, and hit the "add to queue" button under the "My Finds" heading. This will create a special PQ that only contains your finds, and is not limited by the normal PQ rules of 1000 caches, no archived, etc.

The ESRI World Topo Map on the Geocaching.com site seems to work best for my use- the only problem is that it does not show disabled caches dry.gif Any ideas for those?

Technically, it's Groundspeak showing caches on top of the map, whatever map, it doesn't matter.

I just tried it, and disabled caches show just fine, with a subtle grey border. There's no reason the choice of map should affect the caches shown.

PS, if you meant archived caches, no, those aren't shown - with ANY map.

Edited by Viajero Perdido