Emulator Action

BirdArt

Can someone please explain the Emulator Action option when creating a zone in Wherigo Kit? My only available option there is "stop the emulator", and I'm wondering if this is why my Wherigo is not running through the emulator when I try to test it. Am I supposed to have other options here that are missing? I've looked through my Wherigo and can't find any other reason why it's not working. Thanks, Jennifer

Edited by BirdArt

It's the same with Kit. I created the "Emulator Action" section because I intend to have additional actions listed there in the future, such as including an additional message if the user is using an emulator. For now, there's only the option to stop the cartridge if it's being played on an emulator.

The idea behind "Stop the emulator" is people will only be able to play your cartridge in the emulator up until that point. I consider it a good idea to interest people in your cartridge by making a few zones playable. They can get a feel for your cartridge's story or what's involved before investing their time playing it in the field.

I should probably revise Kit so that if you as the author play through the cartridge with "Stop the emulator" in it, Kit will instead insert a message telling you it would have prevented people from continuing beyond this point, but since you're the author, it'll let you continue. That's an interesting idea for me to try once I'm done with my current project (extracting sermons from five years worth of video of my church's services and burning everything off to blu-ray).

Thanks, Ranger Fox!! Should I be concerned that my Wherigo isn't running through the emulator? It displays my first location, but it doesn't show my action so it just stalls there. I'm not sure why. I've entered it correctly. I might just skip the emulator and load it onto my GPS to see what it does.

There are two ways of triggering zone events. The right way is to use the "enter" event. This happens when you drag the emulator's marker inside the zone. However, some Garmin units don't play well with "enter" as they believe "enter" should be when you're zero feet/meters away from the zone's center. It's really hard to zero out. Kit uses another event, called "proximity", which happens when you're close to the zone. This works well with all players. However, you can't just drag the emulator's marker inside the zone and have it trigger the event. Instead, you must drag the emulator's marker very close to the edge of the zone. Usually, the emulator updates fast enough where dragging the marker at a reasonable speed to simulate walking would tend to trigger the proximity event.

In short, try dragging the marker from outside the zone to one of the zone's edges. That should work.

Thanks again! I decided to test my Wherigo at the location since I was going to do that before publishing, any way, and it worked! I'll try playing with the emulator again just to see if I can get it going. Thanks so much for creating the Kit. I probably would not have finished my Wherigo if it wasn't for the Kit. I was getting frustrated with some of the other builders, and it was taking more time that I wanted to put into creating a Wherigo. Now that I have created my first one I will definitely be creating more with the Kit. You rock, Ranger Fox!