National Wildlife Refuges

DougK

We recently had a question about wildlife protection areas (WPAs) in other countries, particularly, Canada. To me, it makes sense to expand the current category of US National Wildlife Refuges to be a more global National Wildlife Refuges. This would reduce the need for a separate exclusionary category like World-Wide National Parks became and enable more countries to come into this category, rather than create a niche category per country.

To participate in this category, a country must have a Nationally designated wildlife protection program. There must be a National government run web site listing their NWRs / NWAs / Protected Wildlife Areas. Such a list would be the verification method of accepting new category submissions.

Submissions of other government URLs will be judged by the category officers as to whether it contains a usable list of Nationally designated sites suitable for expanding the category. Privately run / designated areas are not what we are seeking here.

The extended category description will contain a table of countries supporting a WPA program. At the start, this table will include US and Canada.

The first step in this process would be a request to Groundspeak to simply rename our category, dropping “U.S.”, giving us the more global name of National Wildlife Refuges. A new extended category description is ready to post.

Hi DougK, We think this is a great idea and we are in favor of expanding the category to include Canada and other countries.

Hopefully this will encourage other groups leaders to do the same. It is always a good idea to reduce the number of new categories created just to fill a small niche. These seem to be becoming more prevalent and consolidation is the key to their reduction.

Edited by BK-Hunters

I just read your new description, great write up and thank you again for expanding the category.

I just tried to access the Canada National Wildlife Areas link, and do believe it is for the USA. The Migratory Bird Sanctuaries works great.

OK, I think that link is better now.