Garmin 64s Battery Life

P&G Mo

Are you sure you're turning it off? (long press on power button)

There should be no drain if it's turned off, outside of the normal battery self-discharge.

What kind of batteries? How new are they?

I use eneloop 2400 batteries. I can hike all day and barely go from 4 bars to 3.

Turn it on a week later and it's still on 3 bars and I can hike another full day with it.

I leave Bluetooth and Chirp turned off unless I'm actively searching a Chirp cache.

The batteries do run down faster with Bluetooth and Chirp enabled.

But that still would not affect discharge after it's turned off.

Maybe a technical issue?

I'd say it's either a hardware fault with the device, or the batteries are so old and worn that they just aren't holding a charge for very long anymore. I can't think of any other possible scenario where the batteries would drain in a powered-down GPSr.

One way to tell if it's the batteries that are the problem is to take the batteries out, wait a week, then put them back in and turn the unit on. If it's saying that they've drained down, then you know it wasn't the GPSr doing it and just need to get new batteries.

I'm going with A-team. I noticed recently that my Montana battery was discharging faster than usual and also recharging faster. It was down to about 25% after only three hours or so. It was several years old and had a bunch of use. Got a new one from Amazon and huge difference They do wear out.

Edited by Walts Hunting