Loading file from GSAK to Oregon 650t

iMerge

I have created a gpx file from GSAK to download to my Oregon 650t. The file contains 350 geocaches, some within 12 miles of home and some for our trip to Dallas, TX next month (950 miles away). After loading the Oregon, the only geocaches that show are the ones near home. Is there something I need to change to load geocaches that are far away.

All your loaded caches are there. There is a distance limit so they won't be seen or listed if over ~112 mi from your last known location. If you pan over to those far away and zoom in enough you will see them. You can "Move to Location" (or similar name) when you have selected no GPS (demo mode).

All your loaded caches are there. There is a distance limit so they won't be seen or listed if over ~112 mi from your last known location. If you pan over to those far away and zoom in enough you will see them. You can "Move to Location" (or similar name) when you have selected no GPS (demo mode).

No need for "demo mode". Zoom out on the map, scroll to the general area the far away caches are and zoom in again. At a certain level the caches will show up.

Is it even possible to have a map of 500,000 caches all at once, like the one in the link ("No Limits" at the top of that page)? Because it looks like the statement "No Limits" is wrong. And a couple other things are wrong, in just that section.

58132b5a-bd9b-437e-b3ec-81ffa6f7ad43.jpg

What do you think is wrong?

There is no setting that makes the map do that. You can search and view only one relatively small area at a time. That's the main thing as applies to the OP.

Is it even possible to have a map of 500,000 caches all at once, like the one in the link ("No Limits" at the top of that page)? Because it looks like the statement "No Limits" is wrong. And a couple other things are wrong, in just that section.

There is no setting that makes the map do that. You can search and view only one relatively small area at a time. That's the main thing as applies to the OP.

Huh. Those images were taken directly from an Oregon 650, so I am not sure what you are referring to.

Huh. Those images were taken directly from an Oregon 650, so I am not sure what you are referring to.

I'm referring to this thread.

There is: Adjust the map's zoom level appropriate and you'll see all caches. The distance limit is for list view only.

Hans

Adjust the map's zoom level appropriate and you'll see all caches. The distance limit is for list view only.

Cool! I have gotten mine working (as mentioned, for map view only) with these settings:

In the menu, got to Setup, Map, Advanced Setup, Zoom Levels, Geocaches, where I set it to 500mi.

The cache icons don't always become overlaid onto the map (or it at least takes a while), when panning around. The map moves, the cache icons then may appear. But, as mentioned, you can zoom out and see the whole map of the US in landscape mode. The default Orientation Lock is auto, so you can turn the GPSr on its side, and zoom all the way out, and see the whole country. You can pan around the world. I don't currently have caches loaded outside the continental US, so if I zoom all the way out, icons for all loaded caches display on screen.

The factory default Zoom Level is “Auto”. As with many settings on the 650, I changed that for ease of Geocaching. My changes allow me to see as many caches as possible, and when a cache is selected, to have useful info in view about that cache. I'm testing my Zoom Level setting, so if you need more info, just post.

Some considerations for the OP:

1) With this zoom plan, you can't of course pick out specific caches when zoomed out, and you won't know it's the most recent PQ if you load fresh PQs. But it's a quick way to verify that caches are loaded for that locale.

2) You can't do a text search for caches outside of the currently selected spot (with a radius of about 100 miles), which by default is the GPSr's currently determined location. To get cache data beyond your locale, use “Search Near” or whatever process suits you.

3) If you have 500,000 caches loaded, the above setting causes a mass of icons. That's not very useful for navigation. You may test other Zoom Levels to see what you prefer.

4) The Zoom Level is profile-specific, so it can be different in another profile. You might even have a special “Check PQ” profile, just for the purpose of seeing all the icons at once.

Edited by kunarion

Cool! I have gotten mine working...

So, what, again, do you believe is incorrect at the Oregon 6x0 wiki?

The wiki isn't wrong. You might have overseen it whilst reading it:

• Only geocaches within a radius of approximately 100 miles from your present location will be displayed.
  • Geocaches located outside the 100 mile radius are visible on the map page.

Hans

The wiki isn't wrong. You might have overseen it whilst reading it:

• Only geocaches within a radius of approximately 100 miles from your present location will be displayed.
  • Geocaches located outside the 100 mile radius are visible on the map page.

Hans

Right. A couple of posts back, I mentioned that I had got it working. You quoted me.

The list of errors is for another Topic. OK, for starters, read about how you download every cache on Opencaching.com. B)

But I can in fact make that map look like the pic (if I were to load all the caches). It's not the factory default setting, and I tried several times before and failed to find a setting, but that part can work. And it's real hard around here to get anyone to post a specific example of a setting that works :ph34r:, so I posted specific settings that work.

Edited by kunarion