Evil/Different caches (and other cache ideas with lots of FP's)

Hi I have been thinking of some caches that would get me lots of favourite points or make the cacher completely clueless on where the cache could be, does anyone have any good ideas (the more evil the better).

I have made a list here of some of my cache ideas.

1. Pinecone with cache inside hanging from a tree, string to pull it down is hidden
  2. A book in a library
  3. Behind a footpath sign
  4. In a hole drilled in a stone (use a stone from the local area for best effect (the resin ones are often very obvious because of their colour))
  5. Multi cache that leads back to exactly the same location as it started after leading the cache a mile or two away
  6. Under a fake plant
  7. In a hollowed out log (this one works well i put one of these out a couple of weeks ago and it has already got (4FPs)
  8. A log painted white with squares on it where you sign your name
  9. A tape measure under some bark in a tree, you sign the underside of the tape instead of a log
  10. Stick a penny on the end of a bison and stick it in the ground (this one may be muggled though)
  11. Hang a cache from a tree with a bungie cord, make it obvious from the ground but make it near impossible to get to (i did this and got 7 DNF's before got one find
  12. Behind a brick that then slides out revealing the cache
  13. Have a pipe that you have to fill up with water for the cache to float up
  14. Have a cache that can only be obtained on extremely high tides

Edit: 15:00 14/02/16

I have thought of some more ideas to get fav points:

1. A fake hunting pigeon with a cache inside it
  2. A cache with a motor that uses a battery from a GPS to obtain it
  3. A TB hotel, with rooms for TB's and Geocoins
  4. Decoys in natural places for a caches
  5. A cache that says 'under a rock' but it is under a rock 6 foot up in a tree
  6. A cache hidden under a waterfall in a stream, so that there is too much turbulence to see it, but if you put your hand in you can find it immediately

Please comment with more ideas for the most difficult or an extremely cool cache.

Edited by The Perkins Family

Some of these are great ideas that make for great hides, others would not get listed because of guideline violations (number 10 would likely be considered a buried container, for example). It's great that you are focusing on creative hides! If your goal is to rack up favorite points, however, be sure to not only be creative with the hide; a well-written/designed cache page, a clever theme, a clever cache name, etc. all go a long way towards earning favorite points!

cache ideas with lots of FP's....an extremely cool cache

An extremely cool cache takes me to an extremely cool location. :D

Be careful when working on cache designs to be mindful that for publication on Geocaching.com your cache needs to meet the listing guidelines.

A couple of your listed items strike me as likely failing to be a "container and log"* and several more can be done well, but are very often done by defacing other people's property.

* Without a container+log, it becomes difficult to know the difference between geocaching and just running around tagging objects near the coords. If you think throwdowns are out of hand, trust me that once the shoe, the tape measure, the log are the log, there's no end to what can be graffited and a find claimed.

Hi I have been thinking of some caches that would get me lots of favourite points or make the cacher completely clueless on where the cache could be, does anyone have any good ideas (the more evil the better).

1. Pinecone with cache inside hanging from a tree, string to pull it down is hidden
  2. A book in a library
  4. In a hole drilled in a stone (use a stone from the local area for best effect (the resin ones are often very obvious because of their colour))
  5. Multi cache that leads back to exactly the same location as it started after leading the cache a mile or two away
  6. Under a fake plant
  7. In a hollowed out log (this one works well i put one of these out a couple of weeks ago and it has already got (4FPs)
  9. A tape measure under some bark in a tree, you sign the underside of the tape instead of a log
  10. Stick a penny on the end of a bison and stick it in the ground (this one may be muggled though)
  11. Hang a cache from a tree with a bungie cord, make it obvious from the ground but make it near impossible to get to (i did this and got 7 DNF's before got one find

Please comment with more ideas for the most difficult or an extremely cool cache.

I have found most of these except 8-9-14.

Be careful with #5 as for the one we did I had the cache in hand before finding the tag to lead us to WP2 (it was a 7 or 8 WP multi). The micro was hidden under the cap of a trafficsign pole, the tag was a Dymotag on the same pole only readable using a mirror. I looked under the cap before using the mirror.

Some of these are great ideas that make for great hides, others would not get listed because of guideline violations (number 10 would likely be considered a buried container, for example).

Nothing wrong with buried caches. A while ago GS said it's OK to bury a cache is there's permission from the landowner. Info was published by a Dutch reviewer.

Favorite points are nice, I guess, but what puts a smile on my face are the good percentage of logs I get that say things like: "thanks for showing me this great trail" "never knew this was here" "saw three heron and a kingfisher during our paddle"

Those are the kind of experiences I hope to have when I go geocaching so that it what I try to present.

A while ago GS said it's OK to bury a cache is there's permission from the landowner. Info was published by a Dutch reviewer.

As far as I know this holds for the Netherlands (there it can even sometimes happen that the land manager prefers/request buried caches - at least this has been the case a couple of years ago) and possibly also for Belgium, but according to my knowledge not e.g. in the US where cachers and reviewers are quite sensitive towards burried caches. Around here almost noone cares if the cache is set up in a way most cachers regard as cool.

A while ago GS said it's OK to bury a cache is there's permission from the landowner. Info was published by a Dutch reviewer.

As far as I know this holds for the Netherlands (there it can even sometimes happen that the land manager prefers/request buried caches - at least this has been the case a couple of years ago) and possibly also for Belgium, but according to my knowledge not e.g. in the US where cachers and reviewers are quite sensitive towards burried caches. Around here almost noone cares if the cache is set up in a way most cachers regard as cool.

Since the info came from HQ and there's no mention of a regional guideline I consider it worldwide <_<

Since the info came from HQ and there's no mention of a regional guideline I consider it worldwide <_<

I still think that it was an answer sent to the Dutch reviewers in response to a question asked by them and has for good reason only be published in Dutch.

I doubt that a buried cache would get published the US nowadays regardless whether the property owner (could also be the hider itself)

agrees - they would too much worried that other land managers get worried and that other cache hiders might hide buried caches.

It was hard enough for them to get geocaching accepted in the parks where it is allowed to be willing to endanger that.

I still think

We can think and assume all we want. Clear communications is not something GS is known for. <_<

In many instances it would be a lot better is GS just "officially" published things. Even in this case it's a third party (reviewers) who publish this and not HQ. I'm just glad even if were just for the Netherlands (and Belgium?) there's at least GBV.

Pinecone with cache inside hanging from a tree, string to pull it down is hidden
This can be a needle in a haystack, if the cone is the right kind for the tree you've hidden it in, just like all the other cones in/under that tree. Or it can be a clever test of observation if the cone is the wrong kind for the tree (analogous to a fake pine cone in an oak tree, only more subtle).

A book in a library
I've found library caches before. The key is to incorporate accurate coordinates and GPS usage into the search somehow, and to put the cache somewhere accessible, but not where it will get muggled.

Multi cache that leads back to exactly the same location as it started after leading the cache a mile or two away
I've read that people tend to share the final coordinates for multi-caches in some areas. If that is common in your area, then a lot of people will just go to the final, rather than getting the intended experience of hiking a few miles, eventually returning to the initial location for the final.

A log painted white with squares on it where you sign your name
Just make sure that it's your log and not an existing log that you've defaced. And make sure that there is a container of some sort. The container issue also shows up with flat magnetic sign caches, where merely painting the back side of the magnetic sign is not acceptable, but a separate piece of paper for the log allows the magnetic sign to act as an acceptable "container".

Stick a penny on the end of a bison and stick it in the ground (this one may be muggled though)
I've seen this done in such a way that it meets the guidelines, but as stated you need to "create a hole in the ground" which violates the no digging guideline.

Have a cache that can only be obtained on extremely high tides
I've found kayak caches that are hard to reach unless you visit them when the tide is at the right level. And there are some caches around here that are accessible only during the lowest tides. Designing a cache that requires an extreme high tide (as opposed to one that is merely easier the higher the tide is) might be a challenge.

A cache with a motor that uses a battery from a GPS to obtain it
I've heard of a cache that requires a standard 9V battery. You don't even need to expose a standard battery holder for that design. You just need two metal surfaces that seekers can press the battery contacts against. The design I heard of would raise if the battery was applied one way, and lower if the battery was applied the other way. (And still, not everyone returned the cache to its original position correctly.)

[Continued in the next reply, since I had too many quotes...]

[Continued from the previous reply, since I had too many quotes...]

A TB hotel, with rooms for TB's and Geocoins
Just don't try to turn it into a TB prison with rules that limit people moving the trackables.

And the best TB hotels are visited frequently, and are easy to access. That helps trackables move through them quickly, on their way to their various goals. But in places that are visited frequently and are easy to access, it's hard to maintain a large, elaborate cache (with "rooms" for trackables).

Decoys in natural places for a caches
Some people love them. Some people hate them.

If you're going to place decoys, then I recommend not using containers as the decoys if at all possible. Decoy containers tend to accumulate "replacement" logs, which are then found and signed by future seekers, who won't realize that they've found a decoy rather than the actual cache container.

A cache that says 'under a rock' but it is under a rock 6 foot up in a tree
That's similar to the "magnetic key holder" cache that is hidden nowhere near anything metal. Or the cache that is "within inches of the ground", but is really a fence post cache with a 6ft cord that lowers the container down through the hollow fence post until it reaches ground level.

As long as the misdirection is in the description, I think it's fair game. People may hate you for it, but it's fair game. Where I think it crosses the line is when the misdirection is in the hint. Helpful hints are fine. Cryptic hints are fine. But IMHO, deliberately misleading hints cross the line. Reading a hint should leave the seeker no worse off than not reading the hint.

A cache hidden under a waterfall in a stream, so that there is too much turbulence to see it, but if you put your hand in you can find it immediately
See the various threads on underwater caches for some of the issues with this concept.

Plus, if it's a natural stream, then the variation in the flow rate will make the hide more or less effective at different times of year. And if it's an artificial stream, then you might have problems with seekers disturbing the landscaping while searching for the cache.

2. A book in a library
  6. Under a fake plant

6. A cache hidden under a waterfall in a stream, so that there is too much turbulence to see it, but if you put your hand in you can find it immediately

What about this cache?

Number 13 is probably the single most common type of gadget cache out there. They're fun, especially if it's the first one you've ever found, but it's not as devious as it sounds-- simply because it's been done quite a few times, and if you've spent time browsing forums or FB groups you've probably heard of them.

But how about one that LOOKS like a fill-it-with-water... but the cache, or waypoint tag more likely, is metal and won't float. Instead, you need to draw it up with a magnet.

What about this cache?

Wicked devious, and a really cool idea... but it's sure to go missing. People will paw around and fling it who knows where, never knowing they had their hand on it.

That and I have a hard time believing the log wouldn't become a soaked mess after a few months out in the elements.

Recently did a back-to-the-start multi, enjoyed it. It was named after a well-known book whose alternative title is "There And Back Again"!

Re tape measures - once did a multi where there was a tape measure in a box at WP1 and the hint was 60cm - coords were written on the back of the tape at 60cm. Novel.

I've got a bison attached high up on the back of a roadsign, but it's on one of those key reels and I've left a bamboo pole with a hook in each end nearby for retrieval. I've seen same idea done horizontally - using a retractable dog lead though - key on dog lead, padlocked box about 20 feet away under other end of footbridge (both secured in place of course) - dozens of FPs.

Look at Clever Caches and Quirky Caches groups on Facebook for more inspiration.

1460703931[/url]' post='5576950']
1460685300[/url]' post='5576925']
1460676854[/url]' post='5576913']

What about this cache?

Wicked devious, and a really cool idea... but it's sure to go missing. People will paw around and fling it who knows where, never knowing they had their hand on it.

That and I have a hard time believing the log wouldn't become a soaked mess after a few months out in the elements.

Yes it will. I've seen a few duct tape baggies. A ground hide will mean the log will get wet fast. The leaves will get wet and probably fall off. Rodents will chew through it. Earwigs will live in it. Moth larvae will hibernate in it. Looks cool but it will quickly become a mess.

Favorite points? Mostly for taking cachers to great places.

My most favorite cache is my webcam. But they're not permitted anymore.

Next is my letterbox hybrid in Central Park in New York City. In a beautiful spot, and probably satill the only letterbox hybrid in New York City.

After that, it is mostly beautiful or interesting spots. Views of New York from Hudson County, New Jersey ranked high.

7ae1f97d-506a-404f-8e74-61994e6bb45a.jpg

How's that for a place to hide a magnetic bolt? Yes. It is a public walkway.

I recently found a somewhat evil hide that was just a zip tie on a fance. You were instructed to bring a sharpie to sign. Most of the previous signatures had worn off so i wasn't sure at first we had actually found the log, until we phoned a friend.

Not "evil" at all. You didn't find a cache.

Caches at their most basic must have a log and a container. :)

As a hider of about 600 or so caches, I can assure you your most favorite points will probably come from location rather that evil.

Not always. I have most of my top "favorited" hides in pretty common locations. The coolness comes from the container in each case. That being said, I am all about a cool location, cool container, or the best.....BOTH!

I recently found a somewhat evil hide that was just a zip tie on a fance. You were instructed to bring a sharpie to sign. Most of the previous signatures had worn off so i wasn't sure at first we had actually found the log, until we phoned a friend.

Yeah, signing a zip-tie doesn't sound right, although apparently it is. If you want to confirm that what you found was the actual cache, then it's probably better to contact the CO rather than a previous finder. Sounds like the previous finder didn't really "find" the cache either.

Edited by noncentric

Yeah, signing a zip-tie doesn't sound right. If you want to confirm that what you found was the actual cache, then it's probably better to contact the CO rather than a previous finder. Sounds like the previous finder didn't really "find" the cache either.

It is a containerless cache that hasn't met guidelines since it was placed in '06, yet has six FPs.

" Gets a favorite point because we haven't seen one like it before."

" I'll give this a favorite just because it's different."

:huh:

Yeah, signing a zip-tie doesn't sound right. If you want to confirm that what you found was the actual cache, then it's probably better to contact the CO rather than a previous finder. Sounds like the previous finder didn't really "find" the cache either.

It is a containerless cache that hasn't met guidelines since it was placed in '06, yet has six FPs.

" Gets a favorite point because we haven't seen one like it before."

" I'll give this a favorite just because it's different."

:huh:

Yeah - was just reading through some of the prior logs. I guess it is indeed the zip-tie. Some cachers noted in their logs that they didn't quite like it, but apparently others liked it just fine. I guess having the weather clear the log for you is one way to avoid having to ever replace it. Sounds like, from some of the logs, that there have been other hides like this as well since some finders note that they've seen that type of hide before too.

Approved by a reviewer at some point....counts as a cache in this area apparently. No love from me. Not something I'd do...

Edited by SpookyDame
Approved by a reviewer at some point....
Don't read too much into the fact that a volunteer reviewer published (not approved, FWIW) a cache listing. The volunteer reviewers do not visit cache locations before publishing listings, and won't know about certain guideline violations unless the CO provides the relevant information during the review process.

Approved by a reviewer at some point....counts as a cache in this area apparently. No love from me. Not something I'd do...

A Reviewer published, sure.

There probably wasn't a reason not to, as no CO in their right mind would say, "I used a zip tie and that's it" in their Reviewer note. :laughing:

Really surprised that all this time, only one "log's full" NM, and no NAs though...

2. A book in a library
  6. Under a fake plant

My favorite, thus far, is a cache that was a fake bolt attached to a steel cable in a nearby parking garage. The parking garage had 5 floors, and several steel cables around the border of each floor, with dozens of bolts holding them in place. The fake bolt was a perfect replica of the real ones. It wasn't until I noticed there was one more bolt on the 3rd floor than on the other 4 that I was able to find it.

2. A book in a library
  6. Under a fake plant

The YouTube channel 'Unique Caches' has somegood ones including this video.

2. A book in a library
  6. Under a fake plant

The problem with number 6 is that during the winter, people are going to see a 2 ft rose growing out of a snowbank.