Group Hunts

briansnat

Just moving this from the Wheretogo? Vertigo! topic, because it deserves its own thread.

Everyone who has been on a group hunt agrees that they are a great time and we should do more of them.

Let's use this thread to propose and plan group hunts, whether it's a single hunt for a particularly tough cache, or a trip to a certain area to bag a bunch.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

Looking at next weeks weather, showers predicted (not that they are ever right) this weekend through Tues. Next Weds looks like the first day they aren't predicting showers, but if it really does rain thru, it might be pretty mucky, so we might not want to pick something that's swampy to begin with unless we'll be swinging from vines like Tarzan.

As someone with a lot less caches then many of the other folks (at least at Tues hunt), maybe one of those folks that wants to attend next week can pick a good one they haven't gotten to yet. I don't know if it's easy to find one that everyone hasn't hunted yet.

David

quote:
I don't know if it's easy to find one that everyone hasn't hunted yet.

That can be tough, but it isn't a major roadblock for some. I remember Harrald accompanying us on our Harriman cache dash, and he had already found the majority of the 8, or so caches we logged that day. He was just out for the fun and we were glad to have him along.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

Melvin's is a cache that pretty much requires a team. I would certainly be up for meeting for that one, should anyone be interested.

Weekends would be the only time now that school has started back up. I am two hours + away.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

quote:
Melvin's is a cache that pretty much requires a team. I would certainly be up for meeting for that one, should anyone be interested.

I'd be up for joining Marty on the hill, with a few brews and stogies and watching a group do Melvin's.

I'll keep my eyes peeled on this thread and if anything pops up that I can make it to, I'll be there. icon_smile.gif

Since I no-longer own waders, I'll sit with the stogie smokers and watch at the feared Triple M!

I'll cache in any weather on any weekday but my weekends are limited to every other. When I am with my lil boy, caching is on the back burner.

Kar

Yes, we would like a good group hike/cache. Magellan315 has the right idea on a 4 or better terrain rating. A good hike that is also a good workout is desired. Our definition of a good hike is 8 to 12 miles. Waterboy will start looking at some that he could recommend.

We would also like to thank BrianSnat and Ce’Nedra. Brian for leading a group backpack on 6/28/03. Ce’Nedra for leading a wet group hike for her 100th find on 8/16/03. They are two of our most memorable geocaching experiences.

I have two suggestions, both of them about a 10 mile hike, both require a car shuttle, and both use the Appalachian Trail (AT). One in Pennsylvania, the other in New Jersey.

First, the one in Pennsylvania:

Start at Hawk Mt. Road and hike north on the AT. There will be an accent to Dan’s Pulpit and the Oh Danny boy. Continue on the AT to pick up No Hints #2 and Three County Trek-Almost. Then complete hike at Fort Franklin Road, a.k.a. Jacksonville-Snyders Road. Distance in AT book is 9.3 miles. There will be three views, although none as good as the Jersey hike views. This will also include a visit to the Allentown Lean-to.

Second, the Jersey hike:

Start at the Dunnfield Creek parking area off Interstate 80 at the Delaware Water Gap. Up Mt. Tammany and take fire road to Helispot cache. Then continue to Turquoise Trail to pick up Dreamcatcher cache. Continue on Turquoise till it end on the AT. Take AT north to Mohegan Road picking up the No Hints Bridges the Gap cache on the way. Small side trails should be taken to see the view at Mt. Tammany and to visit Sunfish Pond. An additional view at Raccoon Ridge is right on the AT.

Both these hike start off with 1,100 or 1,200 foot accent.

I just wore hiking boots and gaiters for Melvins. I know the others I was with wore chest waders or hip boots, but they're overkill.

Come to think of it, I just developed an old roll of film that had a bunch of Melvin's photos. I'll scan them soon and add them to the page.

OK, here's a proposal. Team Magster's new Splitroc Overlook cache is accessable by boat. Any of you canoe owners want to try something different and give a go at his cache?

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

quote:
Originally posted by Ce'Nedra:

I've done several group hikes with Salvelinus, Enfanta, Missjenn, and Waterboy with Wife,

What am I, chopped liver?

No, you certainly are not. Mopar and Rocket Man are lots of fun too!!!

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

quote:
Have you found out if its legal to canoe on Splitrock? Or are you just going to chance it?? If its legal then I think I smell an island cache being placed in Splitrock.

All I know is that the state purchased a recreation easement from Jersey City for Split Rock and is planning on building a parking area and boat launch. I assume that because the easement has already been sealed, that boating is now legal. The numerous canoes on car tops that I noticed today seem to bear this out.

But I don't know the official word. I'm just guessing.

quote:
Anyone up for a Wednesday cache hunt trip?

I have off from work, so I'm planning on spending the day caching. I haven't pick a area, but I'm leaning towards the

Wildcat Ridge area or possibly Hacklebarney and the Round Mountain area, or maybe I'll head south to the Pine Barrens.

I'm off every day icon_wink.gif . Wildcat Ridge is a good choice now, with the addition of Mxtylptk's new cache. You can bag 4 caches with about a 5 mile loop hike. But since I found 2 of them and own another, I'd be more interested in Hacklebarny. I've long wanted to give Alluvial Material a stab.

Anyone interested in a group caching adventure is invited out to Webster Park (off Lake Road, NE Rochester, NY - I'll post coordinates soon):

Sunday, September 28, 2003

2:00 p.m.

There are about 10 caches in that park ranging from 2-4 in difficulty and terrain.

Then you can join us for dinner (ever tried one of Rochester's famous Garbage Plates?). And for the real diehards, we're planning to do some night caching afterwards as well.

Everyone welcome. Hope to see you there!

For updated details, check the NYGO website: www.ny-geocaching.org.

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

quote:

I have off from work, so I'm planning on spending the day caching.

Anybody else up for a shot at Alluvial Material on Wed? Come on y'all, Call in sick and join us.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:

I have off from work, so I'm planning on spending the day caching.

Anybody else up for a shot at Alluvial Material on Wed? Come on y'all, Call in sick and join us.

_"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm_

I AM sick, but I still don't think I can get out of work.

"This is gc.com, love it or leave it "

I have already done Alluvial Material or else I would join you.

Alluvial Material is one of my favorite locations, postcard stunning. There are other caches that are nearby that can easily be done at the same time. Additionally the second stage of NJ STATEWIDE CACHE RACE is nearby. From what I understand that will be converted to a stand alone cache shortly, so if you are interested, I can give you the coordinates and you can bag that cache, and just wait to log it until it is converted to a stand alone cache.

Wish I could make it but I am fresh out of sick days and I have to save my last week of vaca for november.

I'm strictly limited to weeknights and weekends, so I'll keep my eyes on this post and if something comes up that I can make it to, I will.

Sure sounds like a good cache to look for. I have to start heading south, I see more and more interesting caches that everyone keeps pointing out!

P.S. Since Floopy pointed out Night Vision by Marty621, I have been itching to go icon_biggrin.gif

Kar

quote:
Originally posted by Waterboy With Wife (www):

I have two suggestions, both of them about a 10 mile hike, both require a car shuttle, and both use the Appalachian Trail (AT). One in Pennsylvania, the other in New Jersey ..... Both these hike start off with 1,100 or 1,200 foot accent.

No takers yet! It must be too easy, www. bad_boy_a.gif

Separately, I got an email that I thought would belong in this thread:

quote:
oc1rick has logged a cache on your watch list (Thousand Steps Cache).

User comments:

Yesterday I sent out an email about a group trip to this cache for Oct 11th. If you would like a copy or be put on the mail list, send me an email.

quote:
All I know is that the state purchased a recreation easement from Jersey City for Split Rock and is planning on building a parking area and boat launch. I assume that because the easement has already been sealed, that boating is now legal. The numerous canoes on car tops that I noticed today seem to bear this out.

But I don't know the official word. I'm just guessing.

I tried to do some research on the boating situation on Splitrock. As far as I can tell it’s not 'technically' legal to go boating until the boat ramp is put in. I can't wait. It might be the final reason for me to go out and buy a kayak already! icon_biggrin.gif

I'd still like to get a group hunt together for the Hudson highlands. I bought a trail map for the area last week. It would have to be a Saturday for me. Probably over the next few weeks. The fall colors should be near peak in Mid Oct, so maybe we can shoot for that.

We're gearing up for a caching and hiking advevture this weekend, (9/27) in the Wildcat Ridge WMA. Well probably start near The Bar Cave, hike up to The Hawk Watch, and then to Graffiti Rock Ramble. Right now we're looking at arriving around noon or 1pm, with the intentions of arriving back to the Bat Cave around sun down.

If anyone knows of a pizza joint or restaurant nearby the can deal with sweaty, messy, cachers covered in spider webs and stickers, we can meet up there in the evening after our adventure.

All are invited.

Opinions, suggestions, and comments are welcome, feel free to email me privately.

Ekitt10, try the Reservoir Tavern in Parsippany. It's about 15 mins from Wildcat Ridge. Decent, inexpensive Italian food and pizza. Very casual. There can be a wait if you arrive at prime time though.

There is also a Fudruckers in the area. Route 46 east bound in Parsippany.

Let's meet up at the parking for the Bat cave.

N40° 56.868 W74° 29.571, Saturday, 9/27 at 2pm. Is that too late? I'd like to time so we arrive back to the bat cave around dusk. From there we'd take the loop hike to the Hawk Watch and then to Graffiti Rock.

After that how about Fudruckers on rt46, N40 52.275 W74 25.438 (according to Mapsource) around 7:30pm?

All are invited! Email me privately if you want to swap cell phone numbers.