Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Greyroamer

"Archived" Cache Protocol

12 posts in this topic

I was wondering what is the accepted protocol regarding an "Archived" cache? If the cache has been archived by the owner and "Abandoned", that is, the container and log are still in place, what should a person do if they then find it? A prominent GC'er recently archived a large number of caches in Western Australia, presumably because they had retired from active GC'ing and no longer wanted to service and maintain the caches. I had previously found a significant number of these caches before they were archived, so I know where they are and could well be in the location again in the future. Should I:--

1) do nothing and simply let time and weather destroy the cache.

2) take the container and place it in another location and claim ownership for a "new" cache? (In which case what should I do with the old log?)

3) request that the administrators "un-archive" the cache and assume responsibility for maintenance in the original location?

4) try to contact the original owner to transfer responsibility?

5) something else that I haven't thought of?

The thought that there are dozens, scores, perhaps even hundreds of abandoned caches out there is rather disappointing and represent a considerable amount of time and money by the original owners. These efforts should be given due value in some way.

Any suggestions ? ? ?

Greyroamer

Edited by Greyroamer

2) take the container and place it in another location and claim ownership for a "new" cache? (In which case what should I do with the old log?)

You would need to submit the "new" cache for Review, no matter how you acquired the container.

3) request that the administrators "un-archive" the cache and assume responsibility for maintenance in the original location?

I think these 2 Help Center articles might provide the answers:

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

4.23. Unarchiving a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=70

4.20. Adopting or Transferring a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=54

B.

Since the cache is archived the spot is available for you to plant a cache. I probably wouldn't place it exactly in the same spot - that's boring. And while you are out there, pick up the abandoned container and leave a note on the archived page that you picked it up and will keep it for a month and the owner can contact you to arrange a return of the container. If it's a good container, and the owner doesn't contact you, recycle it as a new cache (or to replace an old worn out cache of your own).

Edited by L0ne.R

#1 seems like the best route. Your other options appear to make assumptions not backed up by any facts, or run afoul of Help Center/Guideline guidance (see Pup Patrol's links).

No harm in trying number 4. Id contact them regarding adoption and then adopt and unarchive them.

Out of interest what cacher is this?

There are two questions. First, what to do with the abandoned containers. I'd say try to contact the CO to see if he wants them or you can take them and reuse them. If you get no response from the CO, then I'd say give him a few months, and if nothing happens, the containers are effectively trash, so I'd be OK with you collecting them.

The second question is whether you should plant caches there, which is really an unrelated question. Of course you can, and whether they look like the old caches or look like something new is up to you, although my preference would be something new. Whether you actually use the old containers depends on what happened when you answered the first question.

Hi Pup Patrol, you're correct, but your link is incorrect -- it takes you to ZED (no exclamation mark) in Colorado, USA, not Zed! in Oz.

Mike

Edited by Greyroamer

I was wondering what is the accepted protocol regarding an "Archived" cache? If the cache has been archived by the owner and "Abandoned", that is, the container and log are still in place, what should a person do if they then find it? A prominent GC'er recently archived a large number of caches in Western Australia, presumably because they had retired from active GC'ing and no longer wanted to service and maintain the caches. I had previously found a significant number of these caches before they were archived, so I know where they are and could well be in the location again in the future. Should I:--

Seeing as you've posted in this forum I'm going to assume that you mean the cache or caches in question have been listed on gc.com.

Step 1 is to check that the cache or caches aren't also listed on GCA. Just because a cache is Archived on gc.com doesn't mean that its not still active on GCA.

1) do nothing and simply let time and weather destroy the cache.

The container doesn't belong to you. It's not your property. Is "Theft by finding" an offence over in the west? It's something that foreigners no nothing about and as a Victorian, I'm not conversant with laws in Western Australia. That said, when a cache has for all intents and purposes been reduce to litter, collecting the litter is the right thing to do because it is just that, litter.

Adoption has been addressed by other posters here but accepting responsibility for a cache as a "Community Cache" is often possible with our local reviewers but rarely if a cache has already been Archived. This is done when a cache has some special significance.

5) something else that I haven't thought of?

The thought that there are dozens, scores, perhaps even hundreds of abandoned caches out there is rather disappointing and represent a considerable amount of time and money by the original owners. These efforts should be given due value in some way.

Any suggestions ? ? ?

Greyroamer

Finding Archived caches is a 'sub-game' for some caches. The detective work that is often needed to ascertain whether or not a cache is still likely to be in place adds an extra element to the game. Having spent what maybe a considerable amount of time solving a puzzle it is only natural that a cacher will want to receive the reward of finding the cache in question even if it is archived. Finding an archived cache and finding a trackable inside it which was not listed in the cache's inventory, and then returning that trackable to the game will make the trackable owner very, very happy.

In summary, given the way we play the game in Australia, unless the cache has been reduced to litter, I believe that it is best left as is.

Cheers,

b.

Adding to Biggles1024 post above about the sub-culture of finding archived caches, if you go to my profile page you will find bookmark lists of caches in all Australian states which I have looked at when they were archived and determined that they MAY still be able to be found and signed.