Off line list issues

Neil-H

I use the off line list facility in the android geocaching app to hold pocket queries as a back up to my GPS. My understanding is that the off line lists are stored in the app so I can view cache information with out having the need for a data connection, yet if I am in an area with out any mobile or data connection the off line lists will not open. Have I misunderstood the point of off line lists, or is something not right with the app?

I have the paid version of the Grocaching app running on a samsung galaxy S5 running android 5.0.

I use the off line list facility in the android geocaching app to hold pocket queries as a back up to my GPS. My understanding is that the off line lists are stored in the app so I can view cache information with out having the need for a data connection, yet if I am in an area with out any mobile or data connection the off line lists will not open. Have I misunderstood the point of off line lists, or is something not right with the app?

I have the paid version of the Grocaching app running on a samsung galaxy S5 running android 5.0.

Is an error message shown?

Without complete details, it's hard to guess, but I'll guess that you in fact have saved one or more off-line lists, and that when selecting the "Offline Lists" menu item, the lists show when you are online, yet not when offline. In which case, you could try to uninstall/reinstall the app.

In case you missed a step, here's the help page about saving offline lists:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=448

Edited by kunarion

No error messages, I just get the little spinning circle "thining about doing something" thing in the middle of the screen and thats it, nothing else happens. If I have a data connection I dont get this probkem. Ok I will reinstall the app.

If you can narrow it down to a cache or list of caches, that may be useful.

But I usually only get the "Don't Bother Me I'm Busy" icon when clicking most any menu item in the app other than "Offline Lists". I always seem to select the stuff that needs to go online when I've got a terrible connection (or none). :anicute:

I've been testing some Apps that function well offline, where maps of whole countries can be loaded. I tried GDAK for over a year, and now I've switched to Locus. It's mainly as a backup database for my Garmin Oregon.

Thsts just it, I load caches in to an off line list so if Im an area with a bad connection I can still have all the cache info. Problem is, when I am in an area with a bad or no connection, I hit the button to open the off line lists and all I get id the Im busy icon in the middle of the phone screen. This dosnt happen when Im in an area with a good connection, which defeats the whole point of off line lists.

I have now reinstalled the app, so Ill see if that makes any difference over the next few days.

Take the hint. Try another app.

+1 the official geocaching apps aren't very good, on or offline, but others work great. it seems to be detrimental to the game to make such a poorly performing application, and then limit third party applications to x number caches per day, but I'm not writing the checks around here.

The x number of caches a day limit is a function of premium membership (lack thereof), not the choice of app.

i replied, and went back to edit the post, but realized editing wasn't an option. maybe that's available for pay-for-play members ?

i've seen the paywall limit with strang inconsistancy. sometimes downloading 50-100 caches is fine, other times i hit the paywall limit. generally, i'll still go hiking/biking/etc and just skip attempting to do any caching for another week or so. the comments i've gotten from other people are similar about when access is denied, kind of like "oh well, maybe next time" and then they carry on with the main activity.

again, i have no statistics to back up the claim that the game suffers when it denies people to play it, but, it makes sense for there to be a correlation.

i wasn't saying it didn't.

just don't quote me saying i was wrong, when i was right when i posted it.

I didn't say that you were wrong. I merely posted an update on the *current* status of offline list in the app.

anyway, the app doesn't really support offline at the moment.

you can create lists on the website and then transfer them to the app, but you can't create offline lists in the app itself, and the offline list doesn't have map tiles or photos. so really it's a totally useless offline mode.

I managed to use offline lists to find caches in Mexico and Cuba last week so I wouldn't say that they are totally useless. I don't know where the map data came from but when viewing caches on the list both in Mexico and Cuba it *did* show a base map. I agree regarding the exclusion of photos and posted a feature request about it in another thread. Hopefully the feature will be added in a future release. Normally I wouldn't even use the app for caching in another country (23 so far) as I have a hand held GPS. It doesn't include photos either.

Thsts just it, I load caches in to an off line list so if Im an area with a bad connection I can still have all the cache info. Problem is, when I am in an area with a bad or no connection, I hit the button to open the off line lists and all I get id the Im busy icon in the middle of the phone screen. This dosnt happen when Im in an area with a good connection, which defeats the whole point of off line lists.

I have now reinstalled the app, so Ill see if that makes any difference over the next few days.

Assuming that you have downloaded the off line data to your phone. If you are in an area of poor mobile signal, you will be better going to airplane mode. I found that if I'm in an area without any signal at all, then it works well but if you are in an area with just the slightest hint of signal it seems that the app will try to get the latest online information and often ends up with the spinning circle. If you switch into Airplane mode then you will find it works ok.