Garmin buys Delorme

yogazoo

Thanks for sharing that info! Wow -- can't say that I saw this coming. :blink:

It does seem to make sense, though. DeLorme seems to have gotten out of the GPS game, and Garmin's software and mapping leaves something to be desired (a lot, really). Hopefully this frees up money at Garmin for more R&D, and to focus on improving GPS hardware and firmware, leaving the DeLorme folks to focus on producing quality map products.

What will be interesting to see is if DeLorme's excellent mapping is offered by way of Micro SD cards in the future, compatible with existing Garmin GPS units. One would think so, as they are vector maps, IIRC.

Guess that old phrase, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em", applies here.

Seems to be both: Garmin Newsroom

One of the most compelling products in the DeLorme portfolio is its inReach series of two-way satellite communication devices. These GPS-enabled devices allow the user to send and receive satellite text messages or trigger an SOS for emergency help, anywhere in the world. In addition to inReach, DeLorme has an extensive library of digital cartography and enterprise GIS software, as well as traditional mapping.

I once asked Garmin's customer support why, in order to get lifetime map updates on a handheld, you have to buy City Navigator on CD first. It makes sense to just offer a downloadable lifetime subscription with a one-time payment, or at least allow the lifetime subscription update to apply to a digital purchase of City Navigator.

Apparently, the issue wasn't laziness or greed on Garmin's end, but licensing restrictions from Navteq (or so they claim). So I'm hoping that if Garmin's mapping products ditch Navteq's data and replace with DeLorme's, maybe they'll be able to implement a more streamlined lifetime update system for devices that don't come with City Navigator pre-installed. Hell, maybe they'll be able to offer lifetime updates to their routable topo maps as well.

Does the DeLorme mapping suite include detailed road maps for parts of the world other than North America? Like Europe, Asia, Australia, South America? Also, DeLorme Street Atlas USA has never included advanced capabilities like lane guidance, junction view, etc. It seems to me that Garmin would have a long way to go to bring the DeLorme mapping up to the level they have with the Here map products.

My family and I stopped into Delorme (3/10/16) as we always do when on a weekend getaway to visit the store. It has been permanently closed. Private security was now sitting at front desk and didn't have any information other than it closed last week. No info on if they are going to keep the coin display case either. That IS there, for now. Very sad. We loved the store.