Found an unactive cache

paticpatic

When hiding one of my own caches, I accidently found one. This found cache was not an active cache. I checked archived caches at project-gc and it was not listed. It was not a mystery cache as I did place my own cache very close and the Reviewer said I was okay. The log in the cache did not list a GC code and all log signatures are dated 4 years ago. My question is this: Is it okay to remove the cache from mother nature?

When hiding one of my own caches, I accidently found one. This found cache was not an active cache. I checked archived caches at project-gc and it was not listed. It was not a mystery cache as I did place my own cache very close and the Reviewer said I was okay. The log in the cache did not list a GC code and all log signatures are dated 4 years ago. My question is this: Is it okay to remove the cache from mother nature?

I've not used project-gc in this way. If you don't have the GC code, how did you check it there?

I'm assuming that "unactive" means archived on Groundspeak.

If you can remember some of the names on the log, have you checked it by going to the profiles of those names?

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

When I was in a similar situation, I used some of the old log entries to identify which cache listing it was, and then contacted the owner. It turned out that someone hid the cache "better" than they found it, so when the CO checked up on it after a couple DNFs, he thought it had been muggled. Again. And so he archived it.

Anyway, I contacted the CO, told him where I had found his cache, and he came back and picked up his container.

When I was in a similar situation, I used some of the old log entries to identify which cache listing it was, and then contacted the owner. It turned out that someone hid the cache "better" than they found it, so when the CO checked up on it after a couple DNFs, he thought it had been muggled. Again. And so he archived it.

Anyway, I contacted the CO, told him where I had found his cache, and he came back and picked up his container.

I've been reading about a cache in Vinales, Cuba that is apparently in a botanical garden that has a flower stand. A couple of different people have posted about seeing the container, signing the log, but can't find it on the site so haven't been able to post an online log. In this case, the cache owner (or at least someone local that maintains the cache) is right there when the cache is found. I've tried the search for old log entries method on all the other nearby caches and looked at several profiles that have logged them and haven't been able to find out what cache it is. I'm starting to wonder if it is a cache that is only listed on some other site, possible one that no longer exists.

Don't remove it. It could be a cache not listed here, but that doesn't mean it's not a geocache, or letter box. Just because you don't know who the owner is doesn't mean there isn't an owner...

It was not a mystery cache as I did place my own cache very close and the Reviewer said I was okay.

That isn't a definitive way to determine that. In the earlier years, there was no "Additional waypoints" feature and reviewers had no idea where puzzles and multis ended up. I've seen many situations where a new cache is published within 0.1 mile of an old puzzle or multi final that the reviewer didn't know about.

Don't remove it. It could be a cache not listed here, but that doesn't mean it's not a geocache, or letter box. Just because you don't know who the owner is doesn't mean there isn't an owner...

I would not remove it. It may be active and listed on one of the other geocache listing services. :(

I'm in the same situation. Found a cache hidden in December while out on a walk and went back today to sign the log. Turns out I can't find it by the code and it hasn't been signed in quite a while (maybe a year?). It was getting dark, so I jotted down the GC code to log my find when I got home and didn't take note of the owner.

I can always go back again and get the name of the owner and try to reach out to them, but what would you all do?

If it's not "active" and the previous owner doesn't want to maintain it, can you contact the local reviewer to see about adopting it? It's in good shape, in a nice place and easy enough for me to keep going (pass by it everyday).

In case you all have better luck finding it through another channel, it is GC2F1WP "Goshen Trail Finish".

Thanks!

I'm in the same situation. Found a cache hidden in December while out on a walk and went back today to sign the log. Turns out I can't find it by the code and it hasn't been signed in quite a while (maybe a year?). It was getting dark, so I jotted down the GC code to log my find when I got home and didn't take note of the owner.

I can always go back again and get the name of the owner and try to reach out to them, but what would you all do?

If it's not "active" and the previous owner doesn't want to maintain it, can you contact the local reviewer to see about adopting it? It's in good shape, in a nice place and easy enough for me to keep going (pass by it everyday).

In case you all have better luck finding it through another channel, it is GC2F1WP "Goshen Trail Finish".

Thanks!

Easy to find entering the GC Code in the Search Engine. Hidden 9/12/2010. Two stage multi. Coords in first stage unreadable. Owner did not respond to "Temporary Disable Listing" by the reviewer on 10/06/214. Cache was archived. One cannot adopt am archived cache. If you like the location, you can hide a new one (if it qualifies per the guidelines.)

Thanks HarryDolphin for the quick reply. I typed in the GC code a different way and it came up straight away. Duh!

I'm going to read up on hiding a cache and see if I can use the existing location, etc (or very near by). It's a great family friendly cache area and a safe location. Seems like a shame to not use it. Might be just a hair close to an existing cache, though. Maybe that's why it was a multi originally? I'm just getting back into caching, so I have to relearn the specifics on hiding.

I've been wanting to hide a cache for ages and just haven't been able to find a good enough spot that has any wow factor or reason to go to the area, but this is one that I could maintain and keep up nicely.

Thanks HarryDolphin for the quick reply. I typed in the GC code a different way and it came up straight away. Duh!

I'm going to read up on hiding a cache and see if I can use the existing location, etc (or very near by). It's a great family friendly cache area and a safe location. Seems like a shame to not use it. Might be just a hair close to an existing cache, though. Maybe that's why it was a multi originally? I'm just getting back into caching, so I have to relearn the specifics on hiding.

I've been wanting to hide a cache for ages and just haven't been able to find a good enough spot that has any wow factor or reason to go to the area, but this is one that I could maintain and keep up nicely.

Go ahead and plan a cache hide there. The cache GC2F1WP http://coord.info/GC2F1WP was archived in 2014 and the owner seems to have left the United States. I don't think there's much chance of him getting his archived caches re-activated, as offered by the Reviewer.

As for learning about hiding caches...

Guidelines

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Help Center - Hiding a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=19

B.

Thanks PupPatrol for the links--I'm scouring them now to make sure I'm up to date on all of the nuances of hiding since I haven't done this before. The owner also has the cache nearby (same parking lot) that is still active, but just barely based on the reviews. It involves some maneuvering and a tree (don't want to totally spoil it even though it's obvious from the logs what you have to do). I was going to have my brother go with me to make the "official" find on that one because frankly it's slightly dangerous.

Since I'm planning on taking over the first spot that was archived, maybe I can just maintain the second one as well. Both are in "good" locations in terms of safe parking and having an actual reason to go to the places. The second one that is technically still a live geocache is a bit on the iffy side though. It's perfect location wise (historical site in our town), but the tree location of the cache is iffy.

If the original cache owner doesn't reply to a message asking if I can adopt the live cache, then do I report a "needs archived" (container appears to be broken/no log book supposedly) and then just take the spot?

I didn't exactly intend to hide 2 caches, but they're both great places in the town and easy to maintain both (financially and time wise). This gives me a new appreciation for the really good hides that I find and the commitment it takes. I think the first one that was archived I might turn into a Premium only TB hotel and if the second one works out leave that as a regular cache.

If the original cache owner doesn't reply to a message asking if I can adopt the live cache, then do I report a "needs archived" (container appears to be broken/no log book supposedly) and then just take the spot?

Personally, I would probably put it on a Watchlist and see how things go. It's not uncommon for folks to replace a logsheet, so that sort of scenario is possible to play out. The container itself, sounds like it's on its last legs (or wheels, as the case may be), and once that reaches a certain point of disrepair, there's really not much point in letting it limp along.

Thanks PupPatrol for the links--I'm scouring them now to make sure I'm up to date on all of the nuances of hiding since I haven't done this before. The owner also has the cache nearby (same parking lot) that is still active, but just barely based on the reviews. It involves some maneuvering and a tree (don't want to totally spoil it even though it's obvious from the logs what you have to do). I was going to have my brother go with me to make the "official" find on that one because frankly it's slightly dangerous.

Since I'm planning on taking over the first spot that was archived, maybe I can just maintain the second one as well. Both are in "good" locations in terms of safe parking and having an actual reason to go to the places. The second one that is technically still a live geocache is a bit on the iffy side though. It's perfect location wise (historical site in our town), but the tree location of the cache is iffy.

I didn't exactly intend to hide 2 caches, but they're both great places in the town and easy to maintain both (financially and time wise). This gives me a new appreciation for the really good hides that I find and the commitment it takes. I think the first one that was archived I might turn into a Premium only TB hotel and if the second one works out leave that as a regular cache.

There's no point in "maintaining" his caches for him. He left the United States some 2 years ago. Apparently not concerned about taking care of the geotrash he left behind.

He is still active, so if he adopts the cache over to you, then that's a different story. You would then be the owner of the cache and be able to deal with the maintenance issues with "owner maintenance" logs.

Sounds like his remaining active caches need maintenance. GS started sending out "owner maintenance" emails a while ago, and the CO receives emails with each log. So he can't be unaware of the issues with his caches.

Posting an "NA" is a good idea, based on the previous logs. But it won't be an immediate action. The NA goes to the Reviewer, who will probably disable the cache in order to give the CO to deal with cache, one way or another.

But wait to hear if the CO is initiating the adoption procedure first.

If people had been posting the appropriate Needs Maintenance logs all along, these remaining caches would have probably been archived long before now by the Reviewer.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Pup Patrol-- good point. I'll wait it out on the cache he still owns. Kind of goes back to "enabling" geotrash and all the various elements that go along with that. Not that I'm implying it's geotrash, but at some point it will need a NA and someone can hopefully take over the site since it's pretty cool. Sounds like it's just limping along based on people really liking the location and the slight twist to your usual "tree armpit" hide. Years ago when I tried to make the find (and actually sign the log versus just seeing the cache) there were huge issues (PI, ants, iffy branches). I'll watch it for now (and go out with my brother to make the find) and see how things go, but gut instinct is that this one needs a NA fairly soon.

Since getting back into geocaching after a few years off and taking a newbie with me, my impression has been sort of mixed on the NA. I'm being a bit more tolerant since we're in transitional weather, caches take a hit in winter, and I'm a new cacher (100-150 finds; didn't log many of my int'l ones), but the NM/NA doesn't seem to be used often enough at times!

There's no point in "maintaining" his caches for him. He left the United States some 2 years ago. Apparently not concerned about taking care of the geotrash he left behind.

He is still active, so if he adopts the cache over to you, then that's a different story. You would then be the owner of the cache and be able to deal with the maintenance issues with "owner maintenance" logs.

Sounds like his remaining active caches need maintenance. GS started sending out "owner maintenance" emails a while ago, and the CO receives emails with each log. So he can't be unaware of the issues with his caches.

Posting an "NA" is a good idea, based on the previous logs. But it won't be an immediate action. The NA goes to the Reviewer, who will probably disable the cache in order to give the CO to deal with cache, one way or another.

But wait to hear if the CO is initiating the adoption procedure first.

If people had been posting the appropriate Needs Maintenance logs all along, these remaining caches would have probably been archived long before now by the Reviewer.

B.

Excellent advice Pup.

TofuKat, one concern I have about adopting caches of a delinquent owner, it sends the message that it's OK to abandon caches.

My advice, post the NA. While you wait for it to be archived, set up your new cache and cache listing in that area.