Tri-Cities Cache Machine III

travisl

Note: circumstances may change after this initial posting. Look for my posts (with the icon13.gif icon) in this thread for all the important details and changes. If you think you've seen this all before, focus on the unique-to-this-event information in red.

(Link to dinner event cache.)

The tri-cities are Kennewick, Pasco, and Richland. So many caches. So little time. The Yakima, the Snake, and the Columbia Rivers all converge here. We will too, for the third time. Let's do this.

So fill up the tank, grab your gear, toss down some breakfast at way-too-early o'clock, and start on the route in Richland at GC67B2H, Geo HoHoHo 2015 Holiday Memes 10. Sunrise on Saturday, March 19, is around 6:15 a.m., so we'll start then. From there, move at your own pace and get as many as you can.

Dinner's at 7:30 p.m. at Stick+Stone, 3027 Duportail St, Richland (N 46° 15.312 W 119° 18.918). It’s listed as an event cache, GC67ADY. See its event page for details. Please log your "will attends" on the event page so I can let the restaurant know if we're going to take over or just be a big part of their night.

*NEW*: Your "will attend" logs are very important for this event. I'll be adding them all up on Monday, March 14 to give the restaurant a head count. If we're more than 60 adults, we'll have the restaurant to ourselves. See the event page for details.

Note that some caches on the route map may be marked with a "do not enter" icon icon_disabled.gif. Those cache owners have justifiably asked for their cache to not be on the route, and for the cache to not be sought during the cache machine. The cache is, in the owner's opinion, in a sensitive area, whether it's environmentally unwise, socially sensitive, or physically fragile. Just don't get it. It's not like there's a shortage of caches in the area.

Rules:

1) Follow all traffic laws, and drive safely. This is not a race; there are no winners. The only loser will be someone who gets hurt. When someone asks what you're doing, the right answer is honesty: "geocaching".

2) Respect private property, even if the cache owner didn't. Post your DNFs proudly.

3) One logbook entry for "TCCM3" is fine for most small and micros. Don't go filling up the logbook just because you want to mark your territory. 100 people's names and dates will fill up most one-sheets. Be kind and bring extra paper to add to caches with full logbooks.

4) As with all cache machines, if you find the cache, you'll be the one who has to re-hide it. Hide it as well as you found it. Handing it off to someone else and pointing down saying "it goes there" isn't good enough. Don't be a jerk. The extra 45 seconds isn't going to ruin your day.

If you’ve already found a couple of these caches, that’s fine - give us a chance to find the cache, and then we may turn to you for a hint. Suggestions and ''Count me ins'' are welcome on the event page.

----

The Tri-Cities Cache Machine III FAQ:

When is it? When is the start time?

Saturday, March 19, 2016. Start time is 6:15 a.m. at GC67B2H, Geo HoHoHo 2015 Holiday Memes 10.

Will it be one large group, will we be split into teams, or what?

We'll start as one large group, but after a dozen caches or so, the large groups will likely fragment, and on a long day like this, you'll probably be on your own by the time most people in town are waking up.

Is anything going on before, during, or after?

Friday, March 18, at 6:30 PM: An informal pre-event dinner will be at Atomic Ale, 1015 Lee Blvd, Richland, WA, 46.2747, -119.2774. Last-minute changes will be announced at this dinner and here in the Groundspeak forum.

Saturday, March 19, at 6:15 AM: Cache machine begins!

Saturday, March 19, at 7:30 PM: Dinner will be at at Stick+Stone, 3027 Duportail St, Richland (N 46° 15.312 W 119° 18.918). RSVP at the event cache page, GC67ADY. If there's more than 60 of us expected, early arrivals may not get a seat until the start time of 7:30 PM.

Sunday, March 20: Nothing's planned, but you're welcome to get all of the caches we drove past on Saturday making you say, "hey, why aren't we getting that one?"

Hey, why aren't we getting that one?

My standard answer here is that I try to avoid most multicaches, most puzzle caches, caches that appear to be overly time consuming, and caches that the owner has asked us to avoid. I'm also skipping caches that just seem at first glance to be a little lame, because there's so many caches and so little time. However, for this cache machine, there's nearly 1000 caches within a 7 mile radius, so I'm focusing heavily on caches that have more than 10 favorite points (as of early February) or that might help you get the 2014 Tri-Cities Geocoin.

Geocoin?

As of early January, there were a couple dozen 2014 Tri-Cities Geocoins left to claim. Most of the caches needed to claim these are on the route. Supplies are limited. Good luck.

A cache on your map shows the wrong place to park.

Hey, that road doesn't exist!

What's with making us ford the Columbia River?

Thanks for catching that! Let me know, and I'll incorporate it your fix into the route.

If dinner's at 7:30 p.m., why does the route go to 10:00? Is this a two-day event?

The extra time is a buffer, in case you're so good that you'd run out of caches before you run out of daylight. I don't expect anyone would be able to hit all of them between sunrise and sunset. Of course, if you wanted to hit them after dinner, or on Sunday, I'm sure you'll be able to find folks to join you.

It sounds fun, but I've already found some of them.

Then come laugh at us, try to remember where they were, look at the old logbook signatures, or guess when we'll be at the caches you haven't hit yet. Maybe pass your phone number around for us to call when we get stumped.

You have X cache on the route, but it's disabled/archived/a long hike.

Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route (if archived) or may check with the owner (if disabled).

X cache is in an environmentally sensitive area.

My cache is physically fragile and I don't want it broken.

By all means, let me know. I don't want to send 100 people there to stomp all over it.

I disagree with the whole idea of cache machines. I don't want you finding my cache.

Sorry to hear that. It's too bad you've got a neat place to show us that we won't be able to see. Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route.

What's this gonna cost me?

Nothing for the caching. Or, at least, nothing more than it would cost than if you did the trip solo (e.g., paying for your own gas, hotel, and dinner). I'm not collecting any money for this. Dinner is a flat $20 per person, drink, tax, and tip incuded (beer and wine extra).

Lunch? Breaks? Bathrooms?

There's no breaks in cache machines! Just hold it. :-P Or find something on the way.

Rain? Snow? Landslides? Flooding? Rattlesnakes?

Probably, yes. Do what you safely can, and skip ahead when reality or your capabilities don't match the plan. Be prepared and flexible.

What do the map symbols mean?

Turquoise lines show my suggested route, but if there's a brown trail or grey road that I've drawn in, ignore the turquoise. Red car icons show places to park a car for a short time.

ce16d180-40c2-423d-a3ab-b976b7b4a2b2.jpg

Edited by travisl

I like that you added any changes/specifics in red to the usual post - easier to see for those of us who are return visitors to your cache machines! Thank you.

I booked Guesthouse Suites (Kennewick) for $107 total for 2 nites back in December (used discount broker). I'd love to priceline bid, but we need 2 beds, and sometimes they don't guarantee that! YMMV

Bookmark posted.

I knew I should not have gone to the 2015 geocoin event, 12 caches found on this list.

As previously noted, #16 is archived.

#23 - GC4AX5W - Several DNF logs indicate the cache was underwater from a high river. Gone?

#51 - GC605F3 - Long string of DNF's.

#53 - GC3B20K - Last four were DNF

#61 - GC4VYQV - Last two were DNF.

#88 has several recent DNF's but they appear to be from brand new caches, so I'll reserve judgement.

Note for datafile users: It has come to my attention that some folks delete the caches they found or won't be doing on the route. As a result the macro stopped before completion. It now runs to the end and gives you a list of caches that were not found while adding the numbers.

Bookmark posted.

I knew I should not have gone to the 2015 geocoin event, 12 caches found on this list.

As previously noted, #16 is archived.

#23 - GC4AX5W - Several DNF logs indicate the cache was underwater from a high river. Gone?

#51 - GC605F3 - Long string of DNF's.

#53 - GC3B20K - Last four were DNF

#88 has several recent DNF's but they appear to be from brand new caches, so I'll reserve judgement.

Note for datafile users: It has come to my attention that some folks delete the caches they found or won't be doing on the route. As a result the macro stopped before completion. It now runs to the end and gives you a list of caches that were not found while adding the numbers.

I've got nine, from Tri-Cities CM I and II. I bet a lot of us are in the same boat. I should add several more to the route to make up for this. Heaven knows there's no shortage around here!

The full set of logs indicate that this is a real tough one to find and has some GPS drift. I bet it's still there.

After 268 consecutive finds. Yeah, it's gone. I'll keep an eye on this one. It's one of the Pasco geocoin caches, so hopefully the park people will replace it.

Agreed. Nooooobs! :lol:

Is #39 11 Bateman Island Paddle Trail really supposed to be on the route? It's a T5* paddle cache...
Nope. I just upgraded GSAK last week (my previous version was so old, it didn't know the concept of "favorites"), and managed to accidentally get a bunch of five-star terrain or difficulty caches into my database. With the process I use, I can't easily get them out, so if you spot any more, don't hesitate to let me know. As you know, I try to keep things at four-star or easier. Edited by travisl
Is #39 11 Bateman Island Paddle Trail really supposed to be on the route? It's a T5* paddle cache...
Nope. I just upgraded GSAK last week (my previous version was so old, it didn't know the concept of "favorites"), and managed to accidentally get a bunch of five-star terrain or difficulty caches into my database. With the process I use, I can't easily get them out, so if you spot any more, don't hesitate to let me know. As you know, I try to keep things at four-star or easier.

#76 Secret Hiding Place is a D5*.

I like that you added any changes/specifics in red to the usual post - easier to see for those of us who are return visitors to your cache machines! Thank you.

Ditto - good update, Trav. You might also want to make the relevant bits under 'what's going on before/during/after' red, as well, since they are unique to this event. Hope you'll use the new 'red is event-specific' approach going forward!

Also like the cache-selection criteria, and nice that you're highlighting the 2014 geocoin challenge caches for those who need them. Surprised that there are still coins left two years later!

Edited by hydnsek
#76 Secret Hiding Place is a D5*.
Good catch. It normally wouldn't be on the route, but I'm gonna chance it on this one. Sounds like a unique container that's difficult to find, but with enough eyes, it should be a decent hunt.

You might also want to make the relevant bits under 'what's going on before/during/after' red, as well, since they are unique to this event.
Next time. Too late to edit, and not worth bothering a moderator.

Surprised that there are still coins left two years later!
Me, too, and I'm not making any promises. Conceivably, they could all be gone by the start of the CM, and I think it's likely that if there are any left, there won't be enough for everyone who gets their finds on the CM weekend. I plan on trying to get one, but -- just like caching itself -- it's more about the hunt than the actual physical object at the end.

Some additional info, for what it's worth:

• I know that many potential participants have already found several caches on the route, so Draft 2 is up. I probably released draft 1 sooner than I should have, but I wanted to get myself moving. Sorry for doing this twice to you in one week, JHolly.
  • It's looking like I'm adding another 20 quality caches (which extends the route 3½ hours past dinner), but as always, I don't expect anyone to get them all (except the Cache Menagerie :laughing: ).
  • If you encounter a lame cache on this route, it's probably one of three reasons: 1) It's been around for so long, it's gotten favorite points from people who don't know better; 2) It's along the walk to another, better cache; or 3) The driving distance between caches is so far (oh no! two miles!) that I figure you need a stop. Trust me, if you've got live cache data or a huge pocket query, you'll be spending a lot of time this weekend saying, "hey, there's a cache right there... and there it goes," as you drive past it.
  • Conversely, if there's a neat cache spot that isn't on the route, and it's pretty close to the path we're travelling, I'd love to hear about it. I might have just overlooked it.
  • I've just booked my room at GuestHouse Suites, 5616 West Clearwater Avenue, Kennewick. On Priceline (listed, not name-your-own-price) for two nights, it's $114.18. It gets mostly favorable reviews on TripAdvisor. There's no reason you need to stay there, but there's a data point for you.

I would like it if you took 76, off list, it is mine and to many people will invite the law, also remove 45, its mine also, not safe for a lot of cars, maybe add GC5RDNA. 19 is in a very popular grave yard and it is very busy on Saturdays, so it wouldn't be good to piss the grave yard owners off. I would put GC28M91 on to replace it, is in yard but owners are super.

thanks

Mike

I would like it if you took 76, off list, it is mine and to many people will invite the law, also remove 45, its mine also, not safe for a lot of cars, maybe add GC5RDNA. 19 is in a very popular grave yard and it is very busy on Saturdays, so it wouldn't be good to piss the grave yard owners off.

Could you give me the cache names or GC numbers? On draft 2, #76 isn't yours, but #45 is (GC2ZM5J Don't Subscribe it Reduces Cache Time!). On draft 1, #45 isn't yours, but #76 is (GC20J6V Secret Hiding Place, now stop #92). Are these the two you're thinking of?

I would like it if you took 76, off list, it is mine and to many people will invite the law, also remove 45, its mine also, not safe for a lot of cars, maybe add GC5RDNA. 19 is in a very popular grave yard and it is very busy on Saturdays, so it wouldn't be good to piss the grave yard owners off.

Could you give me the cache names or GC numbers? On draft 2, #76 isn't yours, but #45 is (GC2ZM5J Don't Subscribe it Reduces Cache Time!). On draft 1, #45 isn't yours, but #76 is (GC20J6V Secret Hiding Place, now stop #92). Are these the two you're thinking of?

Yes delete my GC2ZM5J, Don't Subscribe it Reduces Cache Time and GC20J6V Secret Hiding Place. Sorry about confusion. We have a pathtag that goes with the Geo HoHoHo 2015 series this year also. We have a few left. Folks would have to contact me or ACFunk to get it once done.

#16, #51 and #53 are good to go - a new cache has been submitted for review near #16

Thanks for your efforts :)

I'm wondering how much that really helped. Two caches replaced that were not his own. One (GC605F3), an obvious throwdown for a non-active owner (last GC visit in Aug '15) - if I found this I'd probable post a NA. Two (GC3B20K), placed a nano where the owner's hint says "a large micro" (the owner has checked in this month, but doesn't seem very active). Do we really need to 'prop up' these caches just because they are along the route? There are so many more caches in the area that could be added if we really need more caches for the CM.

#16, #51 and #53 are good to go - a new cache has been submitted for review near #16

Thanks for your efforts :)

I'm wondering how much that really helped. Two caches replaced that were not his own. One (GC605F3), an obvious throwdown for a non-active owner (last GC visit in Aug '15) - if I found this I'd probable post a NA. Two (GC3B20K), placed a nano where the owner's hint says "a large micro" (the owner has checked in this month, but doesn't seem very active). Do we really need to 'prop up' these caches just because they are along the route? There are so many more caches in the area that could be added if we really need more caches for the CM.

I assumed he did it with the permission of the CO. Perhaps I was wrong, in which case a NM should have been logged followed by a NA.

re: #51 & #53 GC605F3 & GC3B20K

Sorry - I thought I was trying to help out for the cache machine by fixing a couple of locations I really like here in the Tri-Cities. I did not realize that doing so is breaking the rules. So, I have removed the temporary caches.

re: GC3DV5H

Please remove from your map

Thank you

Thanks SP&S for doing this. Most people don't know this but a couple years ago we had to place new caches in over 1/3 of the Hermiston cache machine caches on route. Yea about 30 cache containers! We had a crew of 10-15 all go do it over a couple weekends. That didn't include wet logs and new containers. Really you would of been done with that CM by about 3pm if we hadn't of done so. Also it must be said that we do keep caches active from past members whom have passed and a few of them are on the Tri-City rout map also. So SP&S was doing nothing we don't all do out here in GCSEWA area. Others are checking and fixing other people's caches currently, we all just want our guest to make the finds and have a good time.

Hooray for lunch stops! I'll be adding GCSEWA's Lunch with a View of The Island. event cache to the route; please click on over and let them know you'll be there so they can have enough food. My current un-released draft has us arriving there at around 1 PM, and it's centrally located with quick freeway access, so if you're really slow, if you're really fast, if you've skipped the early morning hikes, or if you've have already found a lot of the early caches, it'll be quick and easy to detour to. They'll be serving up lunch (for a donation) from 10:30 AM to 2:00 PM.

Two things:

1) Draft 3 is up! I'll have the final route posted on Monday, March 14.

2) If you haven't already RSVPed for dinner, please do so on the event page. I'm counting 49 attendees, and the more accurate I can make the dinner count, the easier it will be on the restaurant (for proper staffing and potentially excluding all muggles), on you (having sufficient food and seating), and on me (the stress of overpromising attendance to the restaurant). If you have RSVPed and your plans change, please delete your "will attend" log.

Bookmark updated, data file updated.

#8 - GC1869N - Two years from last find to the first of several DNF's. 2/13 a NM was entered to check the cache for flood damage. CO has not been around for a while. I'm guessing it is gone.

#19 - GC3DV5H - CO requested cache be removed from the route.

#56 - GC4VYQV - 3 DNF's in a row.

#73 - GC4VYQV - 3 DNF's in a row.

Regarding the 2014 geocoins, be aware that 4 of the 10 caches for Kennewick are archived, therefore you will not be able to get the required 8 caches. I emailed and asked if the rules would be bent and so far the sound of crickets is deafening.

Bookmark updated, data file updated.

#8 - GC1869N - Two years from last find to the first of several DNF's. 2/13 a NM was entered to check the cache for flood damage. CO has not been around for a while. I'm guessing it is gone.

#19 - GC3DV5H - CO requested cache be removed from the route.

#56 - GC4VYQV - 3 DNF's in a row.

#73 - GC4VYQV - 3 DNF's in a row.

Regarding the 2014 geocoins, be aware that 4 of the 10 caches for Kennewick are archived, therefore you will not be able to get the required 8 caches. I emailed and asked if the rules would be bent and so far the sound of crickets is deafening.

#56 Is mine. It has been replaced (Should be GC5KZV4). It looks like #73 has also been replaced.

1) The final route is up!

2) Based on the "will attend" logs (I read them all!) I'm telling Stick+Stone that we're expecting about 65 people for dinner. Do not arrive before 7:30 and expect to be fed. You might be, but probably not.

3) For us wet-siders: Current weather reports for Friday say that travel in the passes should be fine. Sunday... it's a little sketchier, but forecasts that far out can be unreliable.

4) As noted in last week's forum posts, GC1869N needs maintenance, so it's off the route. That also makes GC6BAD6 too long of a hike to do on its own, so it's off. GC3DV5H has been removed at the owner's request. GC5KZV4 and GC4VYQV have been maintained and are back in business (although I accidentally left the :( icon on GC4VYQV).

5) A report from March 9 says that stop 22, GC4Z1H4, is submerged in the high-flowing Yakima River. I've left it on the route -- there's five caches accessed from the same parking spot -- but it's probably inaccessible.

5) Some of the "Geocoin Challenge" caches are archived. The code words for the archived caches are provided in the route packet. Jen, the ranger and recreation assistant for the City of Richland Parks and Public Facilities, will also be handing out the updated geocoin challenge form at the start of the route and at the lunch event. The code word for GC4Z1H4, the submerged-but-not-archived cache, is not provided.

I'll see many of you on Friday, and all y'all on Saturday!

Last minute updates:

1) Reminder that dinner is at 7:30. Early arrivals may or may not be seated.

2) The cache owner has asked that stop 30, GC5XVR Grandpa's Toy Box, be added to the Do Not Hunt list. Don't hunt it on Saturday. Hunt it Sunday. It's really cool.

3) Three caches were DNFed today by a better cacher than me: stop 12 GC185WP Yakima Delta Crossroad; stop 25 GC4AX5W Camo Berry; and stop 87 GC54G07 P08 River Park.

4) Contrary to my fears, stop 22, GC4Z1H4 TC 2014-R05 Archery, is not submerged. The path to it is muddy, however.

5) On "Page 3" of the route (page 5 of the PDF), stops 10-17 show a counterclockwise loop trail. Note at the northwest corner of the loop, you'll need to unintuitively head 0.15 miles past stop 14 to get to the intersection to continue the loop. No need to backtrack.

See you tomorrow morning!

Congrats to Travis for #4000 at GC4YEY8 on the TriCities Cache Machine III! It only took ya 15 years. :lol:

Thanks! About 80 caches per machine, 47 machines, and a few extras along the way ... yup, that's about right. I'm on track to hit #5000 at the Shelton CM in 2018.

Congrats to Travis. I have only attended one and that was the first one in Bremerton. I will be 91 the 23rd of this months. I will renew to keep my Charter Membership alive. However, I am afraid our geocaching days are limited. My wife Arlene has had her 3rd stroke and has lost her memory. She fell a couple of weeks ago and ended up at St. Joe in Tacoma. She is back home now and I am her only caretaker. It is unsafe for us to geocache as if either one of us fell we would not be able to get the other up. If I fell she would not know what to do. We get along very nicely in our home. Just happy we were able to get over 10,000 caches when we did and to enjoy the years of geocaching. My advice to all of you, enjoy living and geocaching while you are able. Dick & Arlene