Where have all the ammo cans gone?

TahoeJoe

Maybe for you it was that way. My first cache in 2001 was in a park and was a small tupperware container (and not a long hike by any means). Certainly, there were ammo cans, large log books, and long hikes back then...but lets not overstate how many fit your exact wording. Of all the 2000-2001 caches I have found, very few were ammo cans (less than half).

I started in 2002 and it was around 75 percent ammo can finds for my first couple of years playing. Micros were just starting to show up and were kind of a novelty. The majority of my finds were interesting places and I still remember most of them. If the containers were not ammo cans, they were something big enough to hold a large log book and swag to trade. No overstating for my playground. :)

Guess it depends on whether you started playing in a rural or urban (LA/Orange County) area...but believe me, there were lots of non ammo can and smaller caches back then.

Very rural where I live which would account for a higher rate of larger containers but still memorable caches compared to most caches around here today.
Maybe for you it was that way. My first cache in 2001 was in a park and was a small tupperware container (and not a long hike by any means). Certainly, there were ammo cans, large log books, and long hikes back then...but lets not overstate how many fit your exact wording. Of all the 2000-2001 caches I have found, very few were ammo cans (less than half).

I started in 2002 and it was around 75 percent ammo can finds for my first couple of years playing. Micros were just starting to show up and were kind of a novelty. The majority of my finds were interesting places and I still remember most of them. If the containers were not ammo cans, they were something big enough to hold a large log book and swag to trade. No overstating for my playground. :)

Guess it depends on whether you started playing in a rural or urban (LA/Orange County) area...but believe me, there were lots of non ammo can and smaller caches back then.

Very rural where I live which would account for a higher rate of larger containers but still memorable caches compared to most caches around here today.

You are not very far from one of my ammo can caches...Wilson Canyon Cache near Smith Valley/Yerington, has been there waiting for you for 13+ years :)

You are not very far from one of my ammo can caches...Wilson Canyon Cache near Smith Valley/Yerington, has been there waiting for you for 13+ years :)

Sounds like a cache I would enjoy. Great time of year to go look for it. Thanks!

Many in our area when started (if not ammo cans) were either actual Tupperware, or cookie tins wrapped in black plastic bags.

- Neither were decent containers. :)

Many in our area when started (if not ammo cans) were either actual Tupperware, or cookie tins wrapped in black plastic bags.

- Neither were decent containers. :)

I have also containers in the early times that turned out to be not well suited for staying out in the nature for several years - there was a learning process involved. However I preferred all those larger container whether ideal or not to pet preforms and nanos which have become so popular meanwhile. These pet preforms are hidden everywhere - there could be impressive old quarries where one could several regulars - what'sn hidden there? A pet preform. Or up a nice mountain in a very remote location - again pet preforms and not only for cache series where someone hid 30+ caches a day and did not want to carry larger containers.

When I hear normal cache, the first thing that comes to my mind is a hike to an interesting location with an ammo can and large log book. That's how it was for the first few years of geocaching and that's the type of caching I enjoy.

Exactly. Like cezanne, you say "normal", but all you mean is "caches I enjoy". The cache you describe is not, by any legitimate definition, remotely normal, so you should stop acting as if the caches you like have some magical "normal" attribute that automatically makes them superior.

When I hear normal cache, the first thing that comes to my mind is a hike to an interesting location with an ammo can and large log book. That's how it was for the first few years of geocaching and that's the type of caching I enjoy.

Exactly. Like cezanne, you say "normal", but all you mean is "caches I enjoy". The cache you describe is not, by any legitimate definition, remotely normal, so you should stop acting as if the caches you like have some magical "normal" attribute that automatically makes them superior.

I do not think that he simply means "caches I enjoy". I know for sure that I don't mean "caches I enjoy" when writing "normal".

In the early times around here almost every cache invited for a nice walk or hike - I do not say that this makes a cache superior - it was however the almost standard back then as only cachers hid caches who had an interest into this type of caching. Now the majority of cachers has different interests.

Back then the rate of caches that were suitable to all active cachers was extremely high - this has changed considerably. The suitability issue does involve preferences, but also abilities (puzzles, climbing, etc) among other things. Back then there have been many caches that invited for a nice walk and the percentage of cachers who could go for them was much larger than it is for a large number of modern caches.

I do not think that he simply means "caches I enjoy". I know for sure that I don't mean "caches I enjoy" when writing "normal".

In the early times around here almost every cache invited for a nice walk or hike - I do not say that this makes a cache superior - it was however the almost standard back then as only cachers hid caches who had an interest into this type of caching. Now the majority of cachers has different interests.

You're making my point for me even as you vehemently deny it.

You're making my point for me even as you vehemently deny it.

Because I still do not think that your statement is correct. There are caches that are not of the type "scenic hike, regular or large container, etc" which I enjoy

(e.g. caches with a historic or another educational background, and also in the containerless form as virtuals)

and there have been caches back then which I personally did not enjoy at all (e.g. bushwacking caches).

I'm trying to bring two things across. The first is the following: Back then there were only few cachers and so only few cache hiders - it was not in the general interest to hide a cache available only for those with the special equipment and the ability to climb up 30m a tree and it was not in the general interest to come along with puzzles that can only be solved by at most 1-2 people without help.

The second is that normal is to be read as what was normal back then and not as what someone (whoever that might be) enjoys.

Meanwhile there are cachers who enjoy number runs and finding 1000 caches per day and claiming finds without ever having touched the container. While gc.com lists such caches, I do not regard this as geocaching at all, but not because I have different preferences. I do not enjoy gadget caches for example, but I recognize them as part of geocaching.

If I came across geocaching today, I would not have stayed interested for even a week. So while the activity has a larger audience meanwhile it also puts off people who would have got hooked with the type of geocaching in the early times. It's simply not true that both can coexist nicely.

Edited by cezanne

Back in the early days of geocaching hikes to interesting places was the norm of geocaching, today these types of caches are not. I prefer these types of caches over what's mostly out there today. In my experience if someone took the time to research and place a cache in an interesting location off the beaten path and took the time to purchase or construct a quality cache container stocked with a large logbook and nice swag, yes it's more than likely going to be a superior cache. At the very least the cache container itself is superior compared to the throw down and PT caches that are prevalent today. While not everyone wants to involve a hike to a cache, I would like to think that a large percentage of cachers enjoy a nice sized cache container. Of course if you are playing for numbers, then the numbers become more important than the journey and the cache itself becomes a means to an end. I don't consider PT's and throw downs to represent the true spirit of geocaching. Edited by TahoeJoe

I'm trying to bring two things across. The first is the following: Back then there were only few cachers and so only few cache hiders - it was not in the general interest to hide a cache available only for those with the special equipment and the ability to climb up 30m a tree and it was not in the general interest to come along with puzzles that can only be solved by at most 1-2 people without help.

From what I can see, proportionally there were as many caches then aimed at people with specialized interests as there are now. As you say, there were far fewer of all kinds of caches, which makes it easier for you to forget the ones that don't fit your model.

The second is that normal is to be read as what was normal back then and not as what someone (whoever that might be) enjoys.

The term for what was normal many years ago might be "old time caches", not "normal caches". Normal caches are micros not far from parking. Tell us how much you hate normal caches, don't redefine the term to mean something completely different.

From what I can see, proportionally there were as many caches then aimed at people with specialized interests as there are now. As you say, there were far fewer of all kinds of caches, which makes it easier for you to forget the ones that don't fit your model.

No, there weren't in my area but note that my focus was not on interests. As there were few caches people e.g. also solved boring google mysteries

on topics they did not care about. However it was no common to come along with puzzles that stay unsolved for weeks.

Those trying to solve most of the new mysteries in and around my home deserve my pity - they have to spend endless hours, and believe me I'm definitely not someone who is against puzzle caches.

There have been zero climbing caches, zero very tricky mystery caches, zero caches that required specialized equipment etc - I think it's quite easy to see that 0 ends to be 0 regardless of to which absolute amount you relate.

The term for what was normal many years ago might be "old time caches", not "normal caches". Normal caches are micros not far from parking. Tell us how much you hate normal caches, don't redefine the term to mean something completely different.

From today's perspective, the "normal" caches back then are of course old time caches. But the term normal which I used is not specifically referring to old time caches (neither exclusively those that come from those times nor new caches that follow the style of the old times).

Maybe one needs to see what type of caches are hidden in my area to understand why I say that normal caches are underrepresented. Again normal does not mean that I need to enjoy the cache. A simple traditional in the forest which is 300m from the parking lot is not what I enjoy, however that's

a normal cache in my opinion. Lots of different types of cachers can go for such a cache (families with children, clumsy people who have no chance at many of the gimmicks caches, cachers who either lack the time or the ability to solve the extremely hard puzzle caches and are not willing to cheat etc).

I see no reason why using normal for a micro not far from the parking has preference over the way of normal I use. I would not say that the majority of caches newly hidden in my area are ordinary micros not far from the parking. If they are micros not far from the parking, typically a puzzle is involved (which could be extremely hard) and/or the container is a special construction where finding and/or logging might need quite some time and skill. Then there are of course the power trail like cache series - e.g. 30 micros hidden along a hiking trail, but those are not close to the parking.

I guess the essence is that normal is not the same in each area but that's not surprising anyway and is true for many aspects of geocaching (also the hideouts which are normal in one area, are extraordinary in other areas).

My usage of normal somehow should rather have been a contrast to extraordinary than a statement about the age of a cache or whether I enjoy it or not.

I've found 363 caches that were placed on or before 12-31-2002 and of those, only 123 are marked as regulars or larges, just 34%.

Well, among the caches I found from September 2002 until September 2004 there were about 10 micros (with the exception of a single one, all in other areas, Denkmark, Germany and Vienna). There a few caches that got changed into micros after I found them - I counted them according to the type of the container when I found them. I had reached 100 finds in October 2003 - so I roughly guess that we are talking about 200 caches.

Most of mine have been stolen over the years. The thief left the ziplock bag intact at the location but took the ammo can. I've replaced them with cheap plastic containers.

I had one hidden in a small cave that was stolen.. but the thief was kind enough to transfer the contents to a plastic Folgers coffee can for me so the cache stayed in tact. Nice, heh?

Most of mine have been stolen over the years. The thief left the ziplock bag intact at the location but took the ammo can. I've replaced them with cheap plastic containers.

I had one hidden in a small cave that was stolen.. but the thief was kind enough to transfer the contents to a plastic Folgers coffee can for me so the cache stayed in tact. Nice, heh?

Wow. That's a head shaker.

I appreciate cache owners who invest in ammo cans despite the chance that an ammo can targetting thief could come along.

But for those with thieves in the area, try authentic Lock & Locks instead.

The real thing, not the knockoffs. They have on average lasted 4+ years for me and I've never heard of a Lock & Lock cache thief.

Has to be a thieving cacher surely? Almost need to punch serial numbers into the things, try and see where they turn up....

While I do agree with some of this (and personally I hate seeing nanos/micros posted in the woods)- you also have to take in account the way people find listings for caches. By putting in a zip code you're given the caches in a certain town. Unless you know the specific coordinates or live out far from a major town, its sometimes difficult to find the "far out/isolated" caches.

Personally I'd love to go to a place where I have to walk long distances to get to the prize- but where exactly do I start looking? Even on the forum the location sections do not go by state so people can even ask for interesting ones.

This may have already been said (I'm just starting to wade through this thread) but I go to the map page when I'm deciding where I want to go caching. I can see how close together they are, not only urban/rural but with one click I can see the terrain. With another click I see a satellite view. And I go back, as does the OP and some others here, to a time when the approvers would ask you why you wanted to put a micro where a full-sized cache would fit. I think that should have remained the policy. But I know others disagree. As long as I can play the game my way, and they can play it their way, we should all get along, right?

One of mine was swapped out similarly. They put my cache contents into a camo painted pretzel jar and took my ammo can. Had to be a geocacher.

I've had gobs of ammo cans taken, usually after Small Game hunt.

I've had gobs of them burn. I put a container inside the burnt can and leave 'em out. People don't steal burnt ammo cans ;-) and right after the fire they blend well with the burnt forest floor. Later, as they rust, they blend well with the leaf litter.

.... As long as caches are continued to be placed for numbers, you will never see the creative caches in great locations which I took for granted. I have an ammo can in my garage just waiting for the snow to melt to be hidden in a great off the beaten track location I have in mind. I hope someone looks for it. :rolleyes:

So you miss the ammo cans and the creative hides, and dislike micros. Well an ammo can is no more creative than a bison tube. Everything else being equal, there is absolutely no difference other than size. It the container, how you bought it, just dropped where it fits. Maybe that place is the top of a mountain, maybe it's near a historic building, but the hide itself is the same.

You say bigger is better, others say smaller is better. I just payed $20 for an ammo can, and I'm not sure it's going to be ammo cache. I can get 6 or 7 bison tube for the price of one ammo can that will more than likely go missing. What can I do with the can? Put it down. Maybe put it in a hollow log. What can I do with a micro? Put it inside a hockey puck near the arena. Put it in a toy dinosaur near a place they found a fossil. Put it in a bat, hang it from a tree for a night cache. Are you saying those aren't as creative as an ammo can at the base of a tree?

Yes, I think caches should be more creative or in cool locations, but size doesn't equal a cool cache, or a cool location.

Bison tubes are great! (my post said ammo cans or similar) :rolleyes: I'm just done with the abundance of micros. Why use a micro in the middle of a forest when you can use something bigger and more creative. One of my favorite forest cache containers was a fake branch on the ground. Most micros (not all) are just a quick inexpensive way to place a cache. I'm assuming this is not unique in my area.

That's my experience as well. There are some notable exceptions - one local cacher hid 50 micros along the trails of a nearby park. They were hidden as a previous poster described - in toys or other objects. The name of the cache gave you a hint as to the object you were looking for. But I don't define those as micros, because the container you're looking for is the size of a small, at least.

You want to impress your fellow cachers? Hide an ammo can or other regular sized container so nobody, or only a few, can find it. Anybody can hide a thimble in a forest. That doesn't take any thought or skill.

I'm with you. At one time all you needed to do was turn on your GPS and 90 percent of the time it would take you to some place special.

I have hidden most of my caches with that in mind, to bring cachers to special places. To find most of my caches a round trip hike of a mile or more, sometimes 4-5 miles is required. The logs are pretty rare these days, but the few people who enjoy those sorts of caches still seem to really enjoy them.

Ten years ago I couldn't keep up with the logs on these caches. Now I may get a handful of logs a month on those caches together, even though I still own over 200 active caches.

I'm not interested in getting 100 finds on a 7-Eleven dumpster cache in a month. Now I'm lucky if I receive 100 logs a year spread out among my 200+ caches, but I keep them there for those who enjoy that sort of cache. There are some cachers who are still into that and it is that segment that I cater to.

I'm not alone, they are out there. Lots of them, but it takes a lot of winnowing through the chaff to find them.

You're as old as I am, geocaching-wise. I'll bet you remember sitting there writing a paragraph or two in the cache log, too. Now, you're lucky if you get anything more than "TNLN" if you even get that. Caching has changed a lot over the years. I'm not so convinced it's all changed for the better.

Has to be a thieving cacher surely? Almost need to punch serial numbers into the things, try and see where they turn up....

What a good idea. I have a set of metal punches that could do that for an ammo can I have waiting to be placed.

While I do agree with some of this (and personally I hate seeing nanos/micros posted in the woods)- you also have to take in account the way people find listings for caches. By putting in a zip code you're given the caches in a certain town. Unless you know the specific coordinates or live out far from a major town, its sometimes difficult to find the "far out/isolated" caches.

Personally I'd love to go to a place where I have to walk long distances to get to the prize- but where exactly do I start looking? Even on the forum the location sections do not go by state so people can even ask for interesting ones.

I plan my days by looking at the satellite maps for interesting areas to explore that have some caches to find along the way. Still get some clunkers, but at least the walk is worthwhile.

I bought an ammo can from a local sporting goods store. My nephew saw it, claimed that it was his treasure box, and played with it for hours by putting stuff in it. To this day (about a year later), I still keep that ammo box for him to play with when he comes over.

I love finding Geocaches of all sizes. But I enjoy the experience of looking for them (the journey to getting to the location and actually looking for the Geocache). I really enjoy finding one that was hidden in a creative spot.

It's funny. Before I started with the hobby I thought geocaching was solely finding large containers deep in the woods. I was very surprised to see that there were caches all over the place. I can't complain about the smaller containers because they essentially started me with the hobby. However, one thing I will never understand is many people's fixation on number of finds.

Today I found a geocache that had all the elements of a great cache. It involved a nice hike to a interesting location and the cache was a no nonsense camo ammo can placed in plain sight with breathtaking views. Too bad it was a relic cache from a geocacher who disappeared from the game in 2004. It is the last surviving cache from this particular CO. I would like to have found more from him.

I just hid a camouflaged ammo can just like the one you described. I'm also planning on placing a second like it in the coming weeks. Although I like ANY hide, the one you referenced encompasses the essence of the sport.

I write my name in UV ink inside the containers.

They are also painted differently than the other ammo cans, so if it does walk and then show up again, all that's needed is my trusty UV light.

My personal experience, with the rate at which caches are stolen, and the cost of ammo cans these days (in Canada $20+), I'm not planning to hide any more. In fact, recently I archived a cache strictly to get my ammo can back before it was stolen. I'm considering archiving another.

If I ever get inspired to make another puzzle or multi cache, I may use an ammo can for that. There is so much less traffic on those, and mostly people who have respect for the hobby.

Edited by Andronicus

They are also painted differently than the other ammo cans, so if it does walk and then show up again, all that's needed is my trusty UV light.

Have there been actual cases where stolen ammo cans have shown back up as new caches? Seems much more likely that they would be taken and put to other uses.

Have there been actual cases where stolen ammo cans have shown back up as new caches? Seems much more likely that they would be taken and put to other uses.

My theory is that they get cashed in at scrap metal places. Around here some of the shadier scrap metal people will go through dumpsters, pry plaques off of buildings and statues, and sneak into construction zones to steal stuff. An ammo can in the woods is relatively easy pickings.

My theory is that they get cashed in at scrap metal places. Around here some of the shadier scrap metal people will go through dumpsters, pry plaques off of buildings and statues, and sneak into construction zones to steal stuff. An ammo can in the woods is relatively easy pickings.

Easy pickings, but as scrap metal, worth about $0.25.

Easy pickings, but as scrap metal, worth about $0.25.

Yeah, the low return didn't stop the metal dude from rifling through my garbage to get one spoon.

We had some "close to town" ammo cans hides, and for years there were no issues.

When the free intro muggle app first came out, we had a few that were grabbed by newbies, thinking they were supposed to re-hide 'em.

We found a couple ourselves, and replaced 'em in their new spot with plastic folgers cans, gladware, that kinda carp.

- Though some consider them a quality container. :laughing:

Another was returned by a friend. Didn't ask how, or if he replaced it with anything.

Most still had our GC stickers with our hide's name & GC# on em.

All still had our Rite in Rain notebooks (w/ cache name/GC#) and signature (at the time) swag inside. :huh:

Edited to add... Only one small park cache left, and the few others are a bit of a walk.

Shame, but a simple walk cut our issues down considerately.

Edited by cerberus1

.... As long as caches are continued to be placed for numbers, you will never see the creative caches in great locations which I took for granted. I have an ammo can in my garage just waiting for the snow to melt to be hidden in a great off the beaten track location I have in mind. I hope someone looks for it. :rolleyes:

So you miss the ammo cans and the creative hides, and dislike micros. Well an ammo can is no more creative than a bison tube. Everything else being equal, there is absolutely no difference other than size. It the container, how you bought it, just dropped where it fits. Maybe that place is the top of a mountain, maybe it's near a historic building, but the hide itself is the same.

You say bigger is better, others say smaller is better. I just payed $20 for an ammo can, and I'm not sure it's going to be ammo cache. I can get 6 or 7 bison tube for the price of one ammo can that will more than likely go missing. What can I do with the can? Put it down. Maybe put it in a hollow log. What can I do with a micro? Put it inside a hockey puck near the arena. Put it in a toy dinosaur near a place they found a fossil. Put it in a bat, hang it from a tree for a night cache. Are you saying those aren't as creative as an ammo can at the base of a tree?

Yes, I think caches should be more creative or in cool locations, but size doesn't equal a cool cache, or a cool location.

But size does translate to cool SWAG and TBs if you're into that sort of thing. I know our kids get more gratification finding Caches with stuff in them to trade. There's nothing fun or enjoyable for us for a tiny magnetic bolt with a shred of paper in it. If the CO puts some thought into location, you can still make larger containers a challenge to find. I personally hate it when the size isn't listed and I invest drive time to get to a park only to find a bison tube hanging from a tree branch in the woods.

Did a little caching today and of ten finds 3 were nanos (one of which we gave a fave point) and the rest were mint tins mostly with rusted off lids and damp/wet/soggy logs. All were in a semi rural suburb. Sigh. But a smiley's a smiley and it gets us out of the house for a drive in the countryside on a sunny first day of winter.

Did a little caching today and of ten finds 3 were nanos (one of which we gave a fave point) and the rest were mint tins mostly with rusted off lids and damp/wet/soggy logs. All were in a semi rural suburb. Sigh. But a smiley's a smiley and it gets us out of the house for a drive in the countryside on a sunny first day of winter.

Was there a solstice today? :)

I hid a 20mm ammo can packed with good stuff, but at the end of a 2 mile hike. In two months, I've only gotten two finds on it. But that's actually what I was hoping for. It's far enough out that there's very little chance anyone would stumble across it and it's a long way to go to steal an ammo can.

In Australia (and probably other places), the official start of winter is the 1st of June. We're not all a pale imitation of the USA.

In Australia (and probably other places), the official start of winter is the 1st of June. We're not all a pale imitation of the USA.

I know, I was joking. Hence the smiley face. :)

What ever happened to hiding ammo cans or similar size caches at interesting locations? I was looking at some of my posts from the early 2000’s and was reminded how much geocaching has changed. It was interesting to look at the posts when micro’s first started showing up and what others thought of them. Micro caches back then were usually placed where traditional caches wouldn’t work, not like the ones I see today. Micro’s have become the runaway virtual caches of yesteryear placed along trails and roadsides under every bush and sign. As the years have passed it becomes more difficult to find the type of caches that use to give me enjoyment in the game. Last year I hid a traditional size cache in a location with breathtaking views with interesting local history and have only had one visit to date. Years ago, I think the demographics of the game was pretty much limited to a narrow group of individuals with similar interests. With the introduction of the smartphone, the game took off into a new direction with a wide variety of individuals. It appears that the majority of today’s players choose quick find caches near other caches verses quality caches that are in more remote locations. As long as caches are continued to be placed for numbers, you will never see the creative caches in great locations which I took for granted. I have an ammo can in my garage just waiting for the snow to melt to be hidden in a great off the beaten track location I have in mind. I hope someone looks for it. :rolleyes:

Well, ammo can caches are probably decreasing because the cans are getting too expensive. Amazon is selling a .50 caliber one for almost $30. :sad:

Well, ammo can caches are probably decreasing because the cans are getting too expensive. Amazon is selling a .50 caliber one for almost $30. :sad:

That crazy !

One on Ebay's still selling 50cals for 19.95 and free shipping.

Another's 12 for 99. bucks and 45. in shipping - 12 bucks a piece.

That crazy !

Recently Costco had a two pack (a 50 cal and a 30 cal inside of it) for $20. I bought two of those. Glad I did because they don't have them anymore...at least the last time I checked they didn't.

The OP mentioned something about "creative caches"...but as much as I like ammo cans AS caches, I don't really consider them particularly creative. Sure, there are ways to creatively disguise them or paint them...but an ammo can is instantly recognizable as an ammo can. No, I generally see the most creative caches made from different containers, and a great many of them are micro or small size.

That crazy !

Recently Costco had a two pack (a 50 cal and a 30 cal inside of it) for $20. I bought two of those. Glad I did because they don't have them anymore...at least the last time I checked they didn't.

The OP mentioned something about "creative caches"...but as much as I like ammo cans AS caches, I don't really consider them particularly creative. Sure, there are ways to creatively disguise them or paint them...but an ammo can is instantly recognizable as an ammo can. No, I generally see the most creative caches made from different containers, and a great many of them are micro or small size.

I agree that ammo cans in their basic form aren't creative at all but I have little interest in looking for caches based on how creative the cache container is. Location is top on my list and if there is an ammo can at the final destination even better. Probably because I've cached since 2001 that I consider ammo cans synonymous with the term geocaching.

Creative cache and creative container/hideout/camouflage is not the same.

For example, in my opinion the description of this cache (unfortunately only in German) is very creative and funny. The cache led to scenic locations with the final area being particularly nice.

The container (not an ammo can, but another standard container) was just not the key element of the cache which was very well received in the community.