Where have all the ammo cans gone?

TahoeJoe

What ever happened to hiding ammo cans or similar size caches at interesting locations? I was looking at some of my posts from the early 2000’s and was reminded how much geocaching has changed. It was interesting to look at the posts when micro’s first started showing up and what others thought of them. Micro caches back then were usually placed where traditional caches wouldn’t work, not like the ones I see today. Micro’s have become the runaway virtual caches of yesteryear placed along trails and roadsides under every bush and sign. As the years have passed it becomes more difficult to find the type of caches that use to give me enjoyment in the game. Last year I hid a traditional size cache in a location with breathtaking views with interesting local history and have only had one visit to date. Years ago, I think the demographics of the game was pretty much limited to a narrow group of individuals with similar interests. With the introduction of the smartphone, the game took off into a new direction with a wide variety of individuals. It appears that the majority of today’s players choose quick find caches near other caches verses quality caches that are in more remote locations. As long as caches are continued to be placed for numbers, you will never see the creative caches in great locations which I took for granted. I have an ammo can in my garage just waiting for the snow to melt to be hidden in a great off the beaten track location I have in mind. I hope someone looks for it. :rolleyes:

As long as caches are continued to be placed for numbers, you will never see the creative caches in great locations which I took for granted.

I see both around here. While there are definitely more uninspired micro hides due to the proliferation of the game, I still see just as many creative hides as in past years, if not more. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Micros will tend to be easier to access and closer to civilization, while the larger containers will tend to be out in the bush. Since they usually inhabit different environments, both can co-exist and you can choose which type of environment you want to cache in.

Edit to add: BTW, your post reminded me that I have a .50-cal ammo can sitting at home that had previously been used for another hide. I need to get it back out in the wild.

Edited by The A-Team

While I do agree with some of this (and personally I hate seeing nanos/micros posted in the woods)- you also have to take in account the way people find listings for caches. By putting in a zip code you're given the caches in a certain town. Unless you know the specific coordinates or live out far from a major town, its sometimes difficult to find the "far out/isolated" caches.

Personally I'd love to go to a place where I have to walk long distances to get to the prize- but where exactly do I start looking? Even on the forum the location sections do not go by state so people can even ask for interesting ones.

.... As long as caches are continued to be placed for numbers, you will never see the creative caches in great locations which I took for granted. I have an ammo can in my garage just waiting for the snow to melt to be hidden in a great off the beaten track location I have in mind. I hope someone looks for it. :rolleyes:

So you miss the ammo cans and the creative hides, and dislike micros. Well an ammo can is no more creative than a bison tube. Everything else being equal, there is absolutely no difference other than size. It the container, how you bought it, just dropped where it fits. Maybe that place is the top of a mountain, maybe it's near a historic building, but the hide itself is the same.

You say bigger is better, others say smaller is better. I just payed $20 for an ammo can, and I'm not sure it's going to be ammo cache. I can get 6 or 7 bison tube for the price of one ammo can that will more than likely go missing. What can I do with the can? Put it down. Maybe put it in a hollow log. What can I do with a micro? Put it inside a hockey puck near the arena. Put it in a toy dinosaur near a place they found a fossil. Put it in a bat, hang it from a tree for a night cache. Are you saying those aren't as creative as an ammo can at the base of a tree?

Yes, I think caches should be more creative or in cool locations, but size doesn't equal a cool cache, or a cool location.

.... As long as caches are continued to be placed for numbers, you will never see the creative caches in great locations which I took for granted. I have an ammo can in my garage just waiting for the snow to melt to be hidden in a great off the beaten track location I have in mind. I hope someone looks for it. :rolleyes:

So you miss the ammo cans and the creative hides, and dislike micros. Well an ammo can is no more creative than a bison tube. Everything else being equal, there is absolutely no difference other than size. It the container, how you bought it, just dropped where it fits. Maybe that place is the top of a mountain, maybe it's near a historic building, but the hide itself is the same.

You say bigger is better, others say smaller is better. I just payed $20 for an ammo can, and I'm not sure it's going to be ammo cache. I can get 6 or 7 bison tube for the price of one ammo can that will more than likely go missing. What can I do with the can? Put it down. Maybe put it in a hollow log. What can I do with a micro? Put it inside a hockey puck near the arena. Put it in a toy dinosaur near a place they found a fossil. Put it in a bat, hang it from a tree for a night cache. Are you saying those aren't as creative as an ammo can at the base of a tree?

Yes, I think caches should be more creative or in cool locations, but size doesn't equal a cool cache, or a cool location.

Bison tubes are great! (my post said ammo cans or similar) :rolleyes: I'm just done with the abundance of micros. Why use a micro in the middle of a forest when you can use something bigger and more creative. One of my favorite forest cache containers was a fake branch on the ground. Most micros (not all) are just a quick inexpensive way to place a cache. I'm assuming this is not unique in my area.

So you miss the ammo cans and the creative hides, and dislike micros. Well an ammo can is no more creative than a bison tube. Everything else being equal, there is absolutely no difference other than size.

You are dismissing a large portion of the geocaching community who enjoy the swag and the trackable side of geocaching.

A quality larger container like an ammo can or an authentic Lock & Lock or Pelican box enhances the experience at a nice location for everyone - those who only want a log to sign, and those who want a fuller geocaching experience.

Bison tubes and button nanos, hollowed out bolt caches and centrifuge tubes are frustrating containers and do not enhance a find. Most often they have full logs, tattered logs, wet logs and/or moldy logs. They are a pain to remove. They are a pain to roll out. They are a pain to roll up. They are a pain to squeeze back in to the cache. Hopefully if someone feels compelled to place micros where a regular container would fit, it's at least something a little bigger and better quality like an authentic coghlan's matchstick container or a preform.

I'm with you. At one time all you needed to do was turn on your GPS and 90 percent of the time it would take you to some place special.

I have hidden most of my caches with that in mind, to bring cachers to special places. To find most of my caches a round trip hike of a mile or more, sometimes 4-5 miles is required. The logs are pretty rare these days, but the few people who enjoy those sorts of caches still seem to really enjoy them.

Ten years ago I couldn't keep up with the logs on these caches. Now I may get a handful of logs a month on those caches together, even though I still own over 200 active caches.

I'm not interested in getting 100 finds on a 7-Eleven dumpster cache in a month. Now I'm lucky if I receive 100 logs a year spread out among my 200+ caches, but I keep them there for those who enjoy that sort of cache. There are some cachers who are still into that and it is that segment that I cater to.

I'm not alone, they are out there. Lots of them, but it takes a lot of winnowing through the chaff to find them.

Edited by briansnat

I see plenty of creative caches in interesting locations. There's just a LOT of caches out there now, almost more caches hidden than there are finders for them. Phone only cachers often are limited by battery life.

It can be hard for a cache to stand out, especially a new cache, especially if it's at all removed from other hides.

I'm not real partial to finding ammo cans, personally. I don't care much about swag. I am partial to hiding them, because maintenance demands are low.

I own 122 active caches, 80 of them ammo cans. I have another 30+ cans at the house. I'm not thinking about new hides, these are replacements for my current stuff.

Of my active caches, over 40 haven't been found in the last year. A couple haven't been found in 4 years. And some of them may never be found again (the multi-caches that take some time, and don't have a bunch of trads to be found along the route). That's a reflection of the way the game has changed, and the background metric of find count that's part of how so many think of caching.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
What ever happened to hiding ammo cans or similar size caches at interesting locations? I was looking at some of my posts from the early 2000’s and was reminded how much geocaching has changed.

We have a lot of ammo cans. Auction pallets shared with others. Cheap.

A bunch started going missing (and replaced) since the free muggle app came out.

- Turns out some thought you were supposed to take it...

One was returned to us by a cacher who saw our name (along with the cache name) on the large, still-attached GC.com label, on a "rehidden" cache by one of those app muggles. :huh:

We're down around a dozen.

Anyway... seemed easier to just archive hides than go to the expense of just, "passin' 'em out" to folks who have no clue what they're doing.

The few regulars we have left are ammo cans.

Still have a large (huge rural mailbox), and a micro (matchstick holder) too.

Today, most awesome views and unique locations of others around here have mediocre containers.

Doesn't matter much (to me) anymore, as the container is secondary to the location. :)

I'm with you. At one time all you needed to do was turn on your GPS and 90 percent of the time it would take you to some place special.

I have hidden most of my caches with that in mind, to bring cachers to special places. To find most of my caches a round trip hike of a mile or more, sometimes 4-5 miles is required. The logs are pretty rare these days, but the few people who enjoy those sorts of caches still seem to really enjoy them.

Ten years ago I couldn't keep up with the logs on these caches. Now I may get a handful of logs a month on those caches together, even though I still own over 200 active caches.

I'm not interested in getting 100 finds on a 7-Eleven dumpster cache in a month. Now I'm lucky if I receive 100 logs a year spread out among my 200+ caches, but I keep them there for those who enjoy that sort of cache. There are some cachers who are still into that and it is that segment that I cater to.

I'm not alone, they are out there. Lots of them, but it takes a lot of winnowing through the chaff to find them.

I'm with you both! Geocaching has changed, and for me, definitely not for the better. Bigger is not always better but most of the time, larger coaches tend to offer up a better experience for my Family. People do get creative with micro hides every once in a while but for the most part, it's the same ole same ole stuff being placed these days.

Like Briansnat, our woodsie and more challenging caches are not found very often these days. Of course this makes sense because geocaching has become more of a numbers game for people these days.

I don't think it's fair to categorize cachers as either one type or another. There are times that I go long distances for just 1 or 2 caches, but then there are other times that I grab a bunch of urban caches. There's a wide variety of cache sizes and hide styles out there and there's no reason they can't co-exist. It would be nice to find larger containers in places that could support them, but if I enjoy a hike to a specific location and find a small container then it doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the hike. It is disappointing to find containers that are 'icky', but I've encountered that with all types of containers. It's not always the containers that are the problem. It's a combination of finders that don't close/replace containers properly or hiders that don't use the appropriate container for the hiding spot.

While I do agree with some of this (and personally I hate seeing nanos/micros posted in the woods)- you also have to take in account the way people find listings for caches. By putting in a zip code you're given the caches in a certain town. Unless you know the specific coordinates or live out far from a major town, its sometimes difficult to find the "far out/isolated" caches.

Personally I'd love to go to a place where I have to walk long distances to get to the prize- but where exactly do I start looking? Even on the forum the location sections do not go by state so people can even ask for interesting ones.

Do you search for caches via the website, or just on your phone? You can view a map of geocaches at "Play -> View Geocache Map" (https://www.geocaching.com/map) and then you can move around the map to look for area in parks or mountains. This is a great starting point. You can do more refined searches on the search page at "Play -> Find a Geocache" (https://www.geocaching.com/play/search). You can search the forum for threads about using the search function, or you can start a separate thread.

The forums don't seem to have a lot of discussion about great caches in specific areas. I think there's a lot of discussions in Facebook pages, but I'm not a big Facebook user. You could probably post something in the South and Southeast regional forum to ask about Facebook groups, or check out the first post in that forum that mentions organizations in the area.

I stopped hiding ammocans as I lost over 15 of them in 2015 alone presumably to theft. And generally speaking, I only hide ammocans in what would appear to most cachers as off the beaten path in remote locations. I attribute my situation to a specific, but unknown, local geocacher that thought since I bought a pallet of ammocans at government auction that I could afford to lose a few. I am quite sure that the losses were not due to hunters, anonymous muggles, or even animals.

While it's quite possible to come up with creative hiding styles for large containers like ammo cans, it's definitely not common. More often than not, they are located in tree hollows or stumps or next to or under fallen trees. The most creative ammo can hide I've found was this one. Magnetically attached to the underside of the switchbox shown here. It's just a shame that when this part of the Beltline Trail gets built out, the whole thing will get torn out. Hides like that are the exception, though, when it comes to ammo cans. The norm is usually tree-related.

Ammo cans are expensive, difficult to source, and quickly get stolen. So no surprise that there aren't many new ones being placed.

Where I am at the moment, in the "good old days" there were about 30 caches within 30 miles, with a mix of cache sizes. Nowadays, if you ignore micros altogether there are just over 300 traditional caches. I'm sure that's fairly typical. I don't get how that means that it's not as good as it used to be or that the choice has got more limited.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

I wondered about this comment, so I looked one of your older T3 caches (New Jersey's Rooftop) and quickly reviewed the log. Now I only looked at that one cache, so I'm clearly not in a position to say you're mistaken, but for that one cache, the frequency of visits appears fairly consistent, averaging about 1 visit a month both in 2005 and in 2015, although that was strictly an eyeball estimate. Nevertheless, it forces me to ask whether you're really sure you're getting so many fewer visits today then you got 10 years ago, or did it just seem like more bac then because nothing else was happening?

When I see comments like the OP's, I always suspect it's this kind of relativity mistake causing the complaint. In my area, there's no question that there are way more high quality caches that are a mile or two walk from the nearest parking. So while there are, of course, an order of magnitude more caches in general, mostly caches easy to get to, the fact remains that the hiking based geocaching world has also improved, just not at the same rapid pace as the non-hiking caches. To me, this is like golfing becoming more popular, yet the new players wanting simpler courses to play on since they don't hit as far or as accurately as the pros.

Where I am at the moment, in the "good old days" there were about 30 caches within 30 miles, with a mix of cache sizes. Nowadays, if you ignore micros altogether there are just over 300 traditional caches. I'm sure that's fairly typical. I don't get how that means that it's not as good as it used to be or that the choice has got more limited.

What has changed at least in my area is that back then there have been more newly hidden caches (also in absolute numbers) that invited for a nice walk, multi caches have been far more popular among hiders (the concept of a cache series with or without bonus has not been used at all in the early years) and the proportion of micros was extremely small.

Now pet preforms (quite often also with log books bought at the same shop) became even more common than small lock and lock containers (ammo cans never played a big role around here and are

difficult to get anyway).

In urban areas the majority of newly hidden caches are either of the type "I need a location for my wonderful puzzle" (typically boring places with no connection to the puzzle) and

"Waymarking" well known locations (almost all caches of that type are micros). In earlier years around here it was much more about setting up nice tours, leading to special places not that well known and about providing information of educational value (history, art and many other topics).

Almost all new urban caches in my area are more like munzees/waymarks with a short description copied from wikipedia - something quick for hiders and visitors alike. Hardly anyone of them is enjoyable for locals that know the locations and are not focussed on logging a cache every day and/or on increasing their find counts constantly.

the number of cache hiders who set out to hide caches that invite for a longer walk (at least 5km) in areas without 30 other caches around is getting smaller and smaller. Most interested into this segment, left geocaching.

So you miss the ammo cans and the creative hides, and dislike micros. Well an ammo can is no more creative than a bison tube. Everything else being equal, there is absolutely no difference other than size.

You are dismissing a large portion of the geocaching community who enjoy the swag and the trackable side of geocaching.

A quality larger container like an ammo can or an authentic Lock & Lock or Pelican box enhances the experience at a nice location for everyone - those who only want a log to sign, and those who want a fuller geocaching experience.

That kinda enforces my point. You like bigger caches for the swag and trackables. So you are able to defend your opinion. It's not just bigger caches are better because they're bigger, which is what so many people say.

Looking back at the logs of some my caches that involve a substantial hike which were placed in 2003, visits peaked around 2007. Some went 2 years before another visit. My one cache off the main highway on the way to Tahoe was interesting to look at the data because most of the visits to this cache is from visitors to Tahoe and not local cachers. Only 5 visits after 2006. You would think the visits would reflect exponential growth as geocaching became more popular. My last cache placed about a year ago has only one logged visit (requires around a 2 1/2 hike) while nearby power trail caches continue to rack up visits. There are some great caches in the area, but they are the exception and very rarely do you see new creative caches in interesting locations listed. Micros scattered randomly densely together degrade the quality of caches and encourage placement of more of the same for the sake of increasing the number of caches found. I’ve always thought of Geocaching as taking me to an interesting place, cracking open the container, and relaxing for awhile while reading the full size log book. If the kids are with me, they enjoy trading a toy they brought with them for some other trinket which they think is pretty cool. You are not going to have the same experience with a micro in a bush off a road or trail.

Around here, we have an ammo can thief, so folks have stopped hiding the real ammo cans and now opt for the plastic Plano ammo boxes if they are going to hide one, but even those get stolen.

I only have one ammo can hide; a long multi/night cache and it's tethered to the tree with aviation cable.

It's only had 55 finds in just under 2 years and a with 18 favorite points.

Lock and locks or soda bottle preforms (great for paddle caches) are my preferred containers for placing caches.

I have several ammo cans out .. maybe 10 ... and 3 ready to go. In my area, it's really hard to find a decent place to hide one where it won't turn up missing within a year. And I like to try to get creative with them if possible. 3 of them are field puzzle caches. Of course, if all else fails, the old hollow tree works, as has been mentioned. I also have a couple of hides that are actually bigger than an ammo can, but I've had to resort to making them all Premium caches. That seems to have helped the longevity so far.

IMO, the proliferation of micros, even in the woods, among other things) is because of being easier to hide, and no swag to have to provide, or replace.

A cacher friend kind of compensates. Almost all of his caches are micros, but the majority of them are hidden in something much larger, and usually very creative. It's always fun to go for one of his caches and wonder what he's used for camo this time, and most times it makes us smile when we find them! I don't mind a micro in the woods from him.

IMO, the proliferation of micros, even in the woods, among other things) is because of being easier to hide, and no swag to have to provide, or replace.

That can't be the only reason. In my area swag is not very common and large containers that contain swag get fuller and fuller as more people bring things than people take something. I often come across pet preforms in hideouts that easily support larger containers and where they would not get muggled with a higher probability. I own no micro but none of my newer caches contains swag. I use at least small containers to leave place for trackables and a log book where people like do not need a magnifying glass.

Pet preforms are easier to carry and many cachers hide them spontaneously. Moreover they get sold in large amounts and often already equipped with logbooks and more and more newer cachers make use of them in my area.

It would be interesting to see statistics, how many new caches last year were ammo cans and how many of them were in, say, 2002?

I went back and looked at my 2002 finds. Back then there weren't too many geocaches hidden and you were excited when a new one would be listed. Out of the 34 traditional caches I found that year, here's the breakdown:

• 23 Ammo Cans
  • 5 Tupperware Containers
  • 2 Tin Containers
  • 4 Other

I remember when and where I found most of those caches because most of them were overall well done. 2002 was a good year for geocaching (like some wine). :rolleyes:

I wondered about this comment, so I looked one of your older T3 caches (New Jersey's Rooftop) and quickly reviewed the log. Now I only looked at that one cache, so I'm clearly not in a position to say you're mistaken, but for that one cache, the frequency of visits appears fairly consistent, averaging about 1 visit a month both in 2005 and in 2015, although that was strictly an eyeball estimate. Nevertheless, it forces me to ask whether you're really sure you're getting so many fewer visits today then you got 10 years ago, or did it just seem like more bac then because nothing else was happening?

When I see comments like the OP's, I always suspect it's this kind of relativity mistake causing the complaint. In my area, there's no question that there are way more high quality caches that are a mile or two walk from the nearest parking. So while there are, of course, an order of magnitude more caches in general, mostly caches easy to get to, the fact remains that the hiking based geocaching world has also improved, just not at the same rapid pace as the non-hiking caches. To me, this is like golfing becoming more popular, yet the new players wanting simpler courses to play on since they don't hit as far or as accurately as the pros.

Your area is an exception. In my travels, not just in my area,, the majority of caches found have been micro in size hidden very similar to each other. I can't begin to count the number of times i've heard that unmistakable screeching sound of a light pole cover being lifted. :blink:

That can't be the only reason. In my area swag is not very common and large containers that contain swag get fuller and fuller as more people bring things than people take something. I often come across pet preforms in hideouts that easily support larger containers and where they would not get muggled with a higher probability. I own no micro but none of my newer caches contains swag. I use at least small containers to leave place for trackables and a log book where people like do not need a magnifying glass.

Pet preforms are easier to carry and many cachers hide them spontaneously. Moreover they get sold in large amounts and often already equipped with logbooks and more and more newer cachers make use of them in my area.

Also, I've heard some cache owners complain about being expected to verify the trackable inventory in larger caches, and thus deciding to hide smaller caches that don't have room for trackables.

And I've heard some cache owners say that they'd rather carry several smaller containers, plus extra supplies for the hike, rather than lug a single regular-size cache on a long hike to a remote location.

I did a basic search from my zip and sorted by size. I own two of the four large caches in a 30 mile radius; about 150 are regular size, and the other 1,800 that pop up are small to nano. I can't say how many of the regulars are ammo cans, but we still get new ones hidden every once in a while (commemorative caches to celebrate a milestone tend to be ammo cans).

I think it's a mix of what you all have said: preforms and the like are cheaper (we have several power trails through parks and along bike paths of 100+ caches) and easier to hide (ammo cans on those bike paths would get muggled). I do go out of my way when I see a regular on the map, especially if the description says it's an ammo can, but for me, caching is about getting out to interesting locations. If I find an ammo can--great. But if I find micros...well, that's fun, too. I discriminate by location and favorite points rather than by size. And yep, I biked about half of one of those power trails and had a great time even though it was all pretty much the same container attached in the same way over and over again. I don't think I would have hauled my bike down there if not to geocache.

And I've heard some cache owners say that they'd rather carry several smaller containers, plus extra supplies for the hike, rather than lug a single regular-size cache on a long hike to a remote location.

That does not explain why pet preforms became the most common container in my area. I'm not expecting ammo cans or large plastic containers. Personally, I'm already happy about a small lock and lock container with a small log book which can be retrieved and put pack without fiddling and where I can sign in normal size and without eye sight problems. In my area meanwhile even in small and sometimes regular containers many cachers use micro log books.

In my opinion, what geocaching stores sell (and the cost for shipping) has a large influence on what is being used by many new cachers in my area. In the early years I have hardly seen official geocaching labels and hardly any stuff was specifically bought as a geocaching item.

I do think however that what you wrote above "several smaller container rather than ....." also reflects the trend to hide more than one cache per hike. In the early years people around here hid one cache per hike and not several.

Despite my question above no-one seems to be saying that the number of bigger caches (ammo boxes or otherwise) has done anything but increase, so for fans of that type of hide I think that we can conclude that it's all good. As I pointed out, the number of bigger containers around here has multiplied tenfold. OK, micros have multiplied a hundredfold in the same period but anyone that wants a walk and a capacious container can use a simple filter to obtain a list of likely targets.

Perhaps the point is that people are expecting a good proportion of new hides to be ammo boxes and the like. Obviously that isn't going to happen; even with the will to make this the case the hider comes up against the limited availability of decent hiding places and problems with access and permission. It seems very likely that in most areas the prime locations for such hides are going to be taken first, and we're probably past the second phase of less-ideal but still good locations.

Despite my question above no-one seems to be saying that the number of bigger caches (ammo boxes or otherwise) has done anything but increase,

so for fans of that type of hide I think that we can conclude that it's all good.

They did not increase in my area but to be honest ammo boxes or even larger containers have never been very popular around here.

I'm already fully happy with a small lock and lock container with a normal sized log book.

As numbers are concerned, it's of course hard to provide them. One of the reasons is that the system of gc.com never differentiated between container types (so ammo boxes, lock and lock, pet preforms etc are no categories). Another one is that small has been introduced later and the regular caches back then included also quite small containers.

OK, micros have multiplied a hundredfold in the same period but anyone that wants a walk and a capacious container can use a simple filter to obtain a list of likely targets.

Actually, for me it's not a question of filtering in quite a wide radius around my home coordinates. I have to live with what gets hidden. I cannot afford filtering out micros or short walks if I do not want to end up with one cache every 2 months.

Perhaps the point is that people are expecting a good proportion of new hides to be ammo boxes and the like. Obviously that isn't going to happen; even with the will to make this the case the hider comes up against the limited availability of decent hiding places and problems with access and permission. It seems very likely that in most areas the prime locations for such hides are going to be taken first, and we're probably past the second phase of less-ideal but still good locations.

I cannot recall to have encountered throughout the last two years a pet preform cache in a forest or mountain area where a small container would not fitted in the same hideout or within a circle of 10m radius.

Edited by cezanne

I biked about half of one of those power trails and had a great time even though it was all pretty much the same container attached in the same way over and over again. I don't think I would have hauled my bike down there if not to geocache.

I'm the opposite. If a trail is filled with a power trail it's off my list of trails to hike for geocaching. If I'm passing by, I might sample the first couple of caches near the trailhead - if they're bleh (or worse, carpy like a bison tube or nano) that trail is not worth the effort (maybe for a walk with my dog, but not to stop every 161m for a bleh cache). I'd rather spend my time on a trail with a few caches by different owners. There's a better chance that they won't be same-old same-old and they might even be thoughtfully placed caches by a cache owner that tries to provide an overall good caching experience.

Perhaps the point is that people are expecting a good proportion of new hides to be ammo boxes and the like. Obviously that isn't going to happen; even with the will to make this the case the hider comes up against the limited availability of decent hiding places and problems with access and permission.
Another factor is that some parks and open spaces are requiring clear cache container, to avoid bomb scares. That counts out ammo cans. There are non-micro containers that are clear and that seal well, but I know cache owners who use preforms as their go-to type of container because they are clear, they seal well (with the right kind of lid), and they are big enough to hold a log sheet that will last a long time. Trade items and trackables aren't on their radar.

Despite my question above no-one seems to be saying that the number of bigger caches (ammo boxes or otherwise) has done anything but increase,

so for fans of that type of hide I think that we can conclude that it's all good.

They did not increase in my area but to be honest ammo boxes or even larger containers have never been very popular around here.

I'm already fully happy with a small lock and lock container with a normal sized log book.

Oh yes!

My favourite container - an authentic Lock & Lock. And another yes! to a normal sized log book.

I remember the first time I saw a log sheet in a swag size container for the first time. It was deflating. To me, the CO was saying 'What you think while at the cache, doesn't matter to me'. This was back before logging while in the field was a possibility - but who actually writes thought-felt online logs while standing at the cache these days.

It was at that moment that I could predict the future, more COs would go this route because it was easier. People weren't going to write in logbooks anymore. As a cache owner, I valued those logs at the scene. Sigh.

When I see an authentic (not knock-off) Lock & Lock, I think that the cache owner cares about finders and cares about a better game experience for more people. I appreciate that they are willing to invest a little in the activity. They aren't a compulsive hider carrying around a sack full of cheap micro caches to plunk down anywhere there's a spot. I have yet to see a CO that hides quality cache containers plunk them down willy nilly and carpet bomb areas.

What ever happened to hiding ammo cans or similar size caches at interesting locations? I was looking at some of my posts from the early 2000’s and was reminded how much geocaching has changed. It was interesting to look at the posts when micro’s first started showing up and what others thought of them. Micro caches back then were usually placed where traditional caches wouldn’t work, not like the ones I see today. Micro’s have become the runaway virtual caches of yesteryear placed along trails and roadsides under every bush and sign. As the years have passed it becomes more difficult to find the type of caches that use to give me enjoyment in the game. Last year I hid a traditional size cache in a location with breathtaking views with interesting local history and have only had one visit to date. Years ago, I think the demographics of the game was pretty much limited to a narrow group of individuals with similar interests. With the introduction of the smartphone, the game took off into a new direction with a wide variety of individuals. It appears that the majority of today’s players choose quick find caches near other caches verses quality caches that are in more remote locations. As long as caches are continued to be placed for numbers, you will never see the creative caches in great locations which I took for granted. I have an ammo can in my garage just waiting for the snow to melt to be hidden in a great off the beaten track location I have in mind. I hope someone looks for it. :rolleyes:

I prefer quality, remote caches any day. Actually, most of mine are this type. :)

Agreed. I have 2 caches that are micros (not eraser sized nanos) but only because they are specific to the area or cache. Not because "there was a blank space here". Rural micros boggle my mind.

i have one micro on the Tahoe Flume Trail, a single track mountain bike trail on the side of a mountain high above Lake Tahoe. It's hidden in a crack on the granite wall next to the trail. My one and only micro.

A nonspecific example: Bison in sagebrush, in a very remote location, surrounded by sagebrush. I feel through strategic planning you could easily accommodate a larger container.

We have problems here with them getting shot, so I understand where they are coming from. Camo, Camo, Camo.

Going the way of the DoDo I'm afraid. The way the game has changed I rarely go caching anymore and I am getting out of the CO business almost entirely. I may go on more hunts when my life simplifies and I can hit the trails, but if all I'm gonna do is that urban micro grab routine, then I'd much rather play "the game that shall not be named".

I have no problems with any container in any location. As long as I am having fun, who cares what size the container is? Size doesn't mean better.

Ok, if it does not spoil your fun to have to fiddle around with for example nano log books and to sign them and if you do not want to leave trackables. For others it's annoying and do not tell me that such caches can be filtered out easily. They can't. More and more often I encounter caches classified as small and regular, but some even as large (very recently I had such a cache) that contain miniature log sheets.

I have no problems with any container in any location. As long as I am having fun, who cares what size the container is? Size doesn't mean better.

Ok, if it does not spoil your fun to have to fiddle around with for example nano log books and to sign them and if you do not want to leave trackables. For others it's annoying and do not tell me that such caches can be filtered out easily. They can't. More and more often I encounter caches classified as small and regular, but some even as large (very recently I had such a cache) that contain miniature log sheets.

I think most cachers wouldn't mind seeing a resurgence of larger containers but I'd have to agree with Arthur. The container size is only one factor in the quality of the cache. If your a swag or trackable person I can see how the explosion of nanos and micros would be a disturbing trend.

Misclassification of the size of the container is another matter.

1455411736[/url]' post='5564721']

The first sentence is fine, it's a personal preference. Size doesn't matter for you. But a lot of people have explained how larger caches are important to them and that bison tubes, and button nanos and similar size containers are no joy to handle.

If you are talking about comparing crappy micro with crappy larger containers they are both bad. But a quality authentic 100ml Lock & Lock compared to a quality bison tube wins hands-down (in the same location, where a small cache will fit), because it pleases the majority of finders.

How about placing a U.S. Mil. Devon Box but you then have an issue of those who don't close them correctly.

As for Ammo cans, they are out there you just have to search. Watch for Base sale in which Lots of 100-1000 cans are sold. You get a group together to buy a lot, then come the transportation of these Pallets of cans.

I'm sure you know someone in the service or retired from who has Base privileges who could check for you.

Remember to ask yourself about your placement of your cache. Is it just about throwing a cache down for a number or you have a very nice spot for others to visit? :blink:

I've found baggies wrapped in Duct Tape stuffed into a Guardrail and to me these were bad but at the time I didn't know until I made the grab. :anicute:

How about placing a U.S. Mil. Devon Box but you then have an issue of those who don't close them correctly.
I assume that you meant decon (not devon) containers, the kind originally used to hold decontamination kits.

When I started 10 years ago, I saw a fair number of them, but as you wrote, not everyone can figure out how to close them correctly. A lot of the ones I found were only partially closed, with only 1 or 2 corners snapped shut instead of all 4 corners. As a result, they leaked.

There are similar size containers that work much better in practice. For example, a large beach/travel case or a small Lock & Lock container will be about the same size, but will seal better (they have gaskets) and will be easier to close correctly (and easier to tell when it is not closed correctly). Plus, they're clear, which is a requirement in some places.

Edited by niraD

I have found that ammo boxes are just as unoriginal of a hide as a pill bottle. I like it when either is in a good location, or is hidden well in its area. (Not to brag), but I have a multi-cache where the first stage is at a sweets shop, and the second is hidden not too far away in a flower garden. The container is a large ammo box with flowers and ladybugs on one side, and cake and tea on the other.

It's about the cache page, the hide, and the location that make a cache for me. That's why I try very hard to create the kind of caches I would like to find.