Garmin 62

Bike and Hike

I have been using the Garmin 60csx for several years and now I have the Garmin 62. I can use it to lead me along the road to a geocache, but when I get near to the GZ, I have difficulty changing to the compass. I have done it a few times, but can never remember how I did it, so it is a press and guess situation. Can anyone tell me how to set up the Garmin 62 so I can easily change from road to compass? Thanks

I have been using the Garmin 60csx for several years and now I have the Garmin 62. I can use it to lead me along the road to a geocache, but when I get near to the GZ, I have difficulty changing to the compass. I have done it a few times, but can never remember how I did it, so it is a press and guess situation. Can anyone tell me how to set up the Garmin 62 so I can easily change from road to compass? Thanks

Configure your GPS properly first.. Set the Lock On Road to False. Set Routing to PROMPT. Then when you do navigate, it will ask you, on the road or direct (or something to that effect).

Not that you're configured, you can route on the road until you get to parking. Stop navigation. Then start route again but off road while on your hike.

It's only intuitive after you've done it a couple of times.

I don't have this unit, someone else may have to chime in. But is there a way to customize your home screen? I've done this on my Garmin Montana so I can easily switch to the map, compass, or other apps.

Switching between the screens on the 62 could be done by hitting the page (forward) or the back (backward) button.

Hans

Edited by HHL

I don't know how to configure the 62. I don't have the manual that came with it. Can anyone direct me to a manual download that will explain how to configure the GPS and provide and thorough explanation of its functions. The on-line manuals that I've downloaded seem to be abbreviated.

When I Google "GPSMap 62 Manual", it's the first hit I get.

My link