Own travelbug.... with special icon.

jecepede

Aloha !

Here a question that has been asked a number of times on these formus but this time with one slight difference :

How can I make my own travelbug with it's own icon...

---

The idea :

I want to make my car trackable. That is easy. Buy a decal, slap it on the windshield and voila.

But then I am stuck with the standaard bug-icon.

What I would like to have, something dangling from the trailer-hich (aka a tow bar),

and an icon on the www.geocaching.com website in the form of my car-logo.

Thus, in my case the two chevrons from Citroën.

Fun fact : Here are all the currently known icons : https://www.geocaching.com/track/geocoinslistall.aspx

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeers,

Jecepede

Aloha !

short answer is you can't. Long answer is you have to purchase individual codes, minimum of 50.

Then get your design for what the codes are on (your decal) approved. Then pay some more money for a custom icon.

Probably looking at $300 or more when all is said and done.

Ok that seems like a lot of money for a trackable. On the other hand, I could try a Kickstarter project for this.

Try to get enough funding for say 150 items with my icon and design, keep a douzen or so myself and sell the rest.

There is however a catch to this. I searched for buying codes and found the page 6.1. Tracking Code Policy

Here it says one has to own all the rights to the images, so the car-brand-logo is out and I need to come up with another design.

I used the tracking number to one of my geocoins because I like the icon and had a custom made decal for my vehicle. :)

I have searched for a nice logo and I found a couple I liked but then you get stuck with a 'weird' text.

Lets say I, for example, choose a kiwi-fruit. Then my trackable will be called "Kiwi Fruit - New Zealand Geocoin"

I have never even been in New Zealand hahaha..

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

Jecepede

I have searched for a nice logo and I found a couple I liked but then you get stuck with a 'weird' text.

Lets say I, for example, choose a kiwi-fruit. Then my trackable will be called "Kiwi Fruit - New Zealand Geocoin"

I have never even been in New Zealand hahaha..

Well, that can't be helped, you'll just have to go to New Zealand. :laughing:

Promotional Tags have uneditable text. The "GEICO" tag I got allowed me to edit the name (Now it's "Leaping Lizard"), and I was able to add my personalized TB info text, but there are two paragraphs of promotional text that I could not edit. Some of those kind may have naming restrictions.

I've had no trouble changing any of my activated coins or tags to the name I desired.

Edited by kunarion

You don't like the bug icon and want to use something else?

How do you expect people to spot the decal on your car? That's what the bug does!

Oh yeah! Cachers will look for that familiar barcode bug. A tracking number alone, or a unique image and tracking number will reduce the chances of it being logged. So that depends on how you intend to use it, which logs you want, and how often you want them. My Trackable car has no visible decal nor number -- it only can be acquired by Garmin Chirp. And I did that on purpose. :shocked:

But when I had such a decal, although the car's Trackable is correctly defined as a Geocoin with it's special online icon, the decal was a Travel Bug's barcode bug. For ease of identification.

Maybe the OP's TB decal could have both the barcode bug and the special icon. Something like this:

bc962f04-f190-4847-a3a4-2d4dca991df8.jpg

Um... but also the Tracking Number. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

How do you expect people to spot the decal on your car? That's what the bug does!

Oh yeah! Cachers will look for that familiar barcode bug. A tracking number alone, or a unique image and tracking number will reduce the chances of it being logged. So that depends on how you intend to use it, which logs you want, and how often you want them. My Trackable car has no visible decal nor number -- it only can be acquired by Garmin Chirp. And I did that on purpose. :shocked:

But when I had such a decal, although the car's Trackable is correctly defined as a Geocoin with it's special online icon, the decal was a Travel Bug's barcode bug. For ease of identification.

Maybe the OP's TB decal could have both the barcode bug and the special icon. Something like this:

bc962f04-f190-4847-a3a4-2d4dca991df8.jpg

Um... but also the Tracking Number. :anicute:

I like it!

How does making your car a travel bug work / how would you log one if you found one ? Is there a web sight that explains it ?

If you have a TB and attach a toy car, you can place it in a cache, or someone can discover it most anywhere, or you (the Owner) can log Visits in caches and keep it. Now imagine it's not a toy car. Same thing, except it usually won't fit in a cache container. :P

When making a real car into a TB, cachers usually make or buy a sticker or sign with a big "Travel Bug Barcode Bug" logo, and with the tracking number in view. Some cachers even bought vanity license plates of their tracking numbers. There are lots of possibilities. I almost never see a TB car except at an Event Cache. One time I did while driving, and it was at night, and the reflective sticker was so bright, I couldn't see the number. :yikes:

Edited by kunarion

How does making your car a travel bug work / how would you log one if you found one ? Is there a web sight that explains it ?

If you have a TB and attach a toy car, you can place it in a cache, or someone can discover it most anywhere, or you (the Owner) can log Visits in caches and keep it. Now imagine it's not a toy car. Same thing, except it usually won't fit in a cache container. :P

When making a real car into a TB, cachers usually make or buy a sticker or sign with a big "Travel Bug Barcode Bug" logo, and with the tracking number in view. Some cachers even bought vanity license plates of their tracking numbers. There are lots of possibilities. I almost never see a TB car except at an Event Cache. One time I did while driving, and it was at night, and the reflective sticker was so bright, I couldn't see the number. :yikes:

I've bagged several in the wild. You spot them, note the tracking code and file a 'Discovered' log on the website.

Can be dangerous when you're driving; see this log: Log Entry

Aloha !

First off. I never said I dont want a bug on my car, I am talking about

the little icons on the GeoCaching website.

Also, that bug might not be as famous as you might think. If you travel to the

eastern part of Europe, it is the lil' gekko that 'rules the world'....

Btw. I did find a cool icon and an even cooler decal. Check this out :

http://www.mygeocoin.de/en/Cachemobile/Cachemobile-Set--Coin---Label.html

Cheeeeeeeers.....

Jecepede

Aloha !

First off. I never said I dont want a bug on my car, I am talking about

the little icons on the GeoCaching website.

Also, that bug might not be as famous as you might think. If you travel to the

eastern part of Europe, it is the lil' gekko that 'rules the world'....

Btw. I did find a cool icon and an even cooler decal. Check this out :

http://www.mygeocoin.de/en/Cachemobile/Cachemobile-Set--Coin---Label.html

Cheeeeeeeers.....

Jecepede

I'm getting one!