Opinions Please

Recently a new cache popped up 3 miles away and we were on our lunch break so Mummy Bear and myself went out and managed to get the FTF:

RDB(c200 finds):

{*FTF*} 13:42

We've been looking at this pair for months wondering if a cache might pop up here at somepoint.

Myself and Mummy Bear were sat having lunch when the email notification pinged through. I'd already seen quite a few published in Dorset today but all were too far. But this little beauty, less than 3 miles away! My arm was twisted as Mummy Bear had never been on a FTF hunt before and we thought we could fit it in before I needed to go back to work.

We found a parking spot at the suggested area but space was tight and I think we were a little conspicuous. Nevermind though, no time to worry about that!

We marched down to GZ, being careful to cross the busy road, to find that the coords were about 8 metres off. They actually put us at somebody's front door. We didn't go in though. After refocusing our search onto the subject matter the cache was found after the briefest of looks.

It's a good hide with lots of fun swaps. We swapped a toy motorcycle for one of your stretchy lizards.

Now, how do we tell Rosie that we went without her?

Great cache, thank you for placing :)

A nice log if I do say so myself. Then the CO posted:

CO

Thanks for letting me know about co-ords being out, if anyone can message me any more precise co-ords that will be lovely as not sure when I will be driving out that way again

Ok, if I get chance I'll pop back and try to verify them for her. Then this happened:

GrumpyCacher c5000 finds:

Didn't find it

3. 2. 2016

With the co-ords being out and no helpful hint, no wonder I didn't find it. If the owner cannot get there perhaps a hint should be published in the meantime.

Wow, bit harsh, I found the cache in less than a minute even with the very slightly inaccurate coords! But then this happened:

NoseyCacherWhoHasntFoundOrPlacedThisCache (c24'000 finds)

Write Note

We should all work together in this type of situation.

Whoever finds the cache should take a reading with their gps and then ADD it to their log.

It is really simple to do....Tick the box marked "Add a coordinate to this log " which is just below this box, then put in the reading that you took.

I'm not getting at anybody, but adding a coordinate is much, much better than just writing "The coords are off" or something like that.

Come on..... Let's try and help each other.

Oh! I think it's pretty clear that she's getting at me here. I subsequently sent her a private message explaining that I thought she was getting at me and that she really should have sent me a private message rather than posting that note, although I wasn't quite as polite as that. She has since deleted the post but now I feel that my cards have been marked by big numbers cachers in my local area.

I actually don't think I did anything wrong although I'm sure this forum will correct me if I did. Please discuss...

RDB

You are under no obligation to correct someone's cache coordinates for them...nor are you under any obligation to even take any coordinate averages yourself. It's there as an option for anyone who wants to, but it's ultimately the OBLIGATION OF THE CACHE OWNER to make any necessary coordinate corrections. End of story.

For a search radius of 8m, I'd mention that I had to expand my search radius a bit, but I probably wouldn't post new coordinates unless I was off by more than that, or unless there was something else going on. Of course, coordinates that incorrectly put you "at somebody's front door" falls into that category.

Anyway, it isn't hard to do. Just check the "Add a coordinate to this log" checkbox, and enter your coordinates for the final. Assuming you have confidence that your coordinates are better than the owner's coordinates, of course.

For a search radius of 8m, I'd mention that I had to expand my search radius a bit, but I probably wouldn't post new coordinates unless I was off by more than that, or unless there was something else going on. Of course, coordinates that incorrectly put you "at somebody's front door" falls into that category.

Anyway, it isn't hard to do. Just check the "Add a coordinate to this log" checkbox, and enter your coordinates for the final. Assuming you have confidence that your coordinates are better than the owner's coordinates, of course.

In addition, since the coords put them at someone's door, the 8m radius only applies to a 180 degree arc and not a 360. Considering that a good portion of that arc is probably grass, and some of it likely sidewalk, there really can't be all that many places to look.

To the OP: I wouldn't take it too seriously. Probably shouldn't have even messaged the person that posted the note. Just let it go.

Appears that the cache owner has updated the coordinates more than 200 feet and NoseyCacherWhoHasntFoundOrPlacedThisCache note has been deleted.

I often post the coordinates with my log as NoseyCacherWhoHasntFoundOrPlacedThisCache suggests. As for messaging them privately, you may have went a little far with that because they seemed to have only been trying to be informative and you may have taken it the wrong way. Now you come here to the forums and call them NoseyCacherWhoHasntFoundOrPlacedThisCache. Not good. <_<

You are under no obligation to correct someone's cache coordinates for them...nor are you under any obligation to even take any coordinate averages yourself. It's there as an option for anyone who wants to, but it's ultimately the OBLIGATION OF THE CACHE OWNER to make any necessary coordinate corrections. End of story.

+1

- And I might be a bit curious if maintenance is a plan by this CO, since he's, "not sure when I will be driving out that way again".

For me, if the coordinates get me to within 30' of the cache, I'm generally happy. Further than that and it would really be dependent on the situation. If I am in a park and the coordinates take me to the middle of an open area but there is a stump 50' away where the cache is hidden, it isn't hard to figure out to go look around the stump. If I arrive at a long metal fence and find a magnetic micro that is 50' off the posted coordinates, that is just needlessly adding time and energy on something that good coordinates would probably make a 30 second find. In the first scenario, adding coordinates to my log isn't really going to make much difference since the obvious spot for the cache is the stump and you can see that from where you're standing when your GPS says 0'. The second scenario would really benefit from updated coordinates, either by you posting them or the CO going out and taking them.

Of course, if the CO is posting poor coordinates because they want to make their cache harder to find (but lack the imagination to do it in a legitimate way), posting updated coordinates will probably only result in the CO deleting your find and trying to hide the better coordinates from other seekers.

With the co-ords being out and no helpful hint, no wonder I didn't find it. If the owner cannot get there perhaps a hint should be published in the meantime.

Wow, bit harsh, I found the cache in less than a minute even with the very slightly inaccurate coords! But then this happened:

Nope, sorry, you're looking for a problem if you consider this harsh. He's just asking for help. In fact, you're being a little harsh implying he's incompetent for not finding it as easily as you did, so I'm glad you didn't say that to him. It's fairly common for a seeker to be easily discouraged when the coordinates are known to be off.

It is really simple to do....Tick the box marked "Add a coordinate to this log " which is just below this box, then put in the reading that you took.

Oh! I think it's pretty clear that she's getting at me here.

There's a difference between getting at you and trying to educate you. Yes, the comment was directed at you, and it seems reasonable to think you didn't know that, but it's also generally informative and anyone else not familiar with this process might also find it usefull, so there's no reason to keep it secret. I have no idea why you think this comment was negative or that your "cards have been marked", whatever that means.

I actually don't think I did anything wrong although I'm sure this forum will correct me if I did. Please discuss...

I don't see that you did anything wrong except for being quick to suggest that other people are doing something wrong when they comment about what's going on with the cache. Feel free to ignore these comments, but it's a very bad idea to get angry about them.

Rather than quoting a lot of above threads:

Thank you all for the positive feedback. In hindsight and with the benefit of these replies I can see I was being a bit precious. I'll take that forward and try not to take things so seriously. Which is odd because in most other aspects of life I'm quite relaxed about things.

I'll also remember to remove caches from my watchlist that I have already found so that I am blissfully unaware of other folk's activities.

RDB